2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Astros cheated and weren't punished. The Chiefs are just good. There's a pretty big difference there.

the Astros should have gotten stripped of the 2017 title, lose draft picks (I don't know how that would work in baseball seeing as there are like 60 picks) and Pete Rose type punishments for individuals.  I mean the manager involved in the cheating, AJ Hinch was Miggy Cabrera's last manager this season in Detroit, when he should have been banned for life and never managed again.  

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The Astros are tied with the Kansas City Chiefs as the team in pro sports that everyone outside of those cities are sick and tired of at this point.  

Are we all tired of both those teams? Hell yes. However, the difference is I respect what the Chiefs have done in terms of NOT CHEATING TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS AND NEVER GOING UNPUNISHED FOR IT.

The only punishment some Astros players will probably ever face for cheating the game is never getting into Cooperstown. If Bonds and Rose aren't getting in, Altuve and Bregman sure as hell aren't.

6uXNWAo.png

In my opinion the Chiefs are getting suspiciously plum scheduling and Brady-level ref calls, but that's my own neurosis and not anything they've actually don't.

But the Astros should have been an example of rather than emboldened. Their whole run feels like it shouldn't exist. (and the Mariners should have one of their ALCS appearances instead)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

the Astros should have gotten stripped of the 2017 title, lose draft picks (I don't know how that would work in baseball seeing as there are like 60 picks) and Pete Rose type punishments for individuals.  I mean the manager involved in the cheating, AJ Hinch was Miggy Cabrera's last manager this season in Detroit, when he should have been banned for life and never managed again.  

It’s NCAA bullfeces. Lifetime bans and stripping of titles, following Pete Rose’s punishment and SMU’s death penalty, have been incredibly unpopular. Look at how most modern media goes against depicting the Black Sox as villains.

Covering up/committing sex crimes should be the only reason for lifetime bans/death penalty. It’s why I’m ok with Pete Rose’s ban (he admitted to having sex with minors/transporting her across state lines) and why Penn State football still existing is a bigger travesty than any Astros run.

Also, if the Astros should be punished, the 2018 Red Sox should be too. No peep about them here at all.

24 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

In my opinion the Chiefs are getting suspiciously plum scheduling and Brady-level ref calls

So you've decided to defend the Astros cheating by saying the NFL and their refs are rigging games for the Chiefs. 🥴🥴🥴

6uXNWAo.png

Outside of Bryce Harper, is there any other Phillies player (or players) you want to see win a World Series ring that doesn't have one?  For me it's Aaron Nola, JT Realmuto and Nick Castellanos.   Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Trea Turner, Kyle Schwarber and Craig Kimbrel win their second rings.  There's not a single guy I hate on the Phillies.  

Why does this market even have a team?  Maybe spring training places don't need big-league teams.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38696365/nlcs-game-3-ticket-costs-plummet-diamondbacks-fans

As of Thursday morning, StubHub has "entry" tickets -- or get-in-the-door prices -- for $17 at Chase Field. TickPick had tickets available for as low as $15.

As a comparison, single standing room tickets for Game 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia went for more than $450 for the Phillies' victory Tuesday night.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Outside of Bryce Harper, is there any other Phillies player (or players) you want to see win a World Series ring that doesn't have one?  For me it's Aaron Nola, JT Realmuto and Nick Castellanos.   Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Trea Turner, Kyle Schwarber and Craig Kimbrel win their second rings.  There's not a single guy I hate on the Phillies.  

as a Mets fan, Zack Wheeler for sure. really sucked that he couldn't be part of the 2015 run, so I'd love to see him avenge it now.

53Ocz8U.png

If you slide into first, you should lose the ability to go past the base.  It should be treated just like any other base.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, if the Astros should be punished, the 2018 Red Sox should be too. No peep about them here at all.

Yeah, I've never understood why Boston has been kept in the dark. Weren't they accused of practically the same thing or am I missing some telling detail?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Yeah, I've never understood why Boston has been kept in the dark. Weren't they accused of practically the same thing or am I missing some telling detail?

They weren’t doing it live during the games and passing the signals to the batters in real time. They were basically scouting the signs. Still illegal and Alex Cora was suspended a year for it.

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

So you've decided to defend the Astros cheating by saying the NFL and their refs are rigging games for the Chiefs. 🥴🥴🥴

No, you deleted out the text where I said the opposite.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This umpiring is embarrassing.  The league should be embarrassed.  On both sides, but the timing of the ridiculous calls matters.  Game changing.

This a hole's strike zone is 5 feet wide... sometimes.  Other times it's 6".

In a matter of 2 days, the Phillies reverted to their pre-June selves.  Home field advantage (though it's basically their home field in AZ) might be the only thing that bails these turds out.  Castellanos is back to the free-swinging 2022 version instead of a disciplined guy who had 106 RBI and back-to-back multi-hr games in the playoffs.  Even Harper has been weak lately, and if Craig Kimbrell was a horse, he'd have been put down last night - let alone tonight.  He should leave his boot on the mound and retire mid game.

But their our boys and we love them so I'll be on my feet cheering for them and giving them the encouragement they need to play above a Babe-Ruth-league level.

I was all in favor of the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Finals outcomes as I wanted to see Denver and either Vegas or Florida win their first championships.  In 2019 we had the Nats, Raptors and Blues win their first ever championships and I enjoyed those title runs because I love teams winning their first championships as long as they do it the right way.  I also enjoyed the title run a season before with the Capitals, with one of the greatest Stanley Cup celebrations ever with Alex Ovechkin.  I knew that I wasn't likely to get a first time champion in MLB or NFL (as in the NFL I think it will either be the Chiefs again or Eagles or 49ers, even though I would love for it to be Bills or Bengals).  So in situations like those, I root for a certain player.  Last year, it was Bryce Harper in the World Series.  

In all championships, in the Big 5 (MLS included) I root for the team without a championship in their history if one of them is competing for it.  If there is none of that, I root for a certain player or coach.  If the Rangers somehow are able to win two in a row to get to another World Series, I will be rooting for them to win their first World Series ever, even if it's against the Phillies.  Bryce Harper is among my top 4 MLB players who I want to see get a ring with the other 3 being Othani, Trout and Judge.  

If Arizona makes it, I will probably be rooting for them as Evan Longoria is on that team and I liked him in Tampa.