2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I'd disagree with the assertion that the Canes' branding is inconsistent, personally. Theirjerseys aren't, sure, but jersey design inconsistency to some extent is kinda common in the NHL (Vancouver does it, Calgary does it, the Rangers do it, Chicago does it, Detroit does it, Montréal does it, etc). All three uniforms they currently use as their main set have overlapping brand elements to tie them all together, like the logos, color scheme, NOB font, pants, etc.

Brand inconsistency, to me, is when nothing about what a team looks like really matches with itself over their history, creating a situation where fans of that team all prefer vastly different looks as the "true" look of the franchise (see: LA, Vancouver, Anaheim and to a lesser degree Tampa, Calgary and Dallas) and arenas turn into less of a unified front and more of a sea of different colors, which we don't really see in Carolina; it's all red, white or black with the occasional Whalers jersey here or there.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

(Vancouver does it, Calgary does it, the Rangers do it, Chicago does it, Detroit does it, etc)

I understand what you're trying to say and I can see what you mean by a sea of different colors preferred by different fans. On the other hand, I don't think the teams you listed are comparable to Carolina's situation. Those teams at least put the same logo on both uniforms and when you look at the set, you can clearly tell that the two jerseys were designed in tandem. Besides the colors and the number font, nothing about Carolina's jerseys match. And I just don't think that's sustainable in the NHL. This isn't even about the quality of their jerseys -- if a team was doing this with three different traditional looks, I'd call them out too. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd disagree with the assertion that the Canes' branding is inconsistent, personally. Theirjerseys aren't, sure, but jersey design inconsistency to some extent is kinda common in the NHL (Vancouver does it, Calgary does it, the Rangers do it, Chicago does it, etc). All three uniforms they currently use as their main set have overlapping brand elements to tie them all together, like the logos, color scheme, NOB font, pants, etc.

Brand inconsistency, to me, is when nothing about what a team looks like really matches with itself over their history, creating a situation where fans of that team all prefer vastly different looks as the "true" look of the franchise (see: LA, Vancouver, Anaheim and to a lesser degree Tampa, Calgary and Dallas) and arenas turn into less of a unified front and more of a sea of different colors, which we don't really see in Carolina.

I don't think I agree with knocking a team's brand consistency because they don't look the same over history because each look is essentially a different brand that needs to have it's own level of consistency, plus that ignores other factors that go into a team rebranding including relocation, ownership changes and larger design trends at the time.

I think "brand inconsistency" in  can only be applied to the current branding and maybe how a team includes different aspects of previous branding. People wearing different jerseys from a team's history doesn't mean a brand is inconsistent, it just means that people prefer one look over the other and that the team decided to change colours. (I also think a "true" look of a franchise is an overblown discussion).

For example, the Ducks have worn two different looks. The first for 13 years and the second/current for 17 with a clear throughline that can be drawn in the current look. I would say that's pretty consistent. Calling the Ducks inconsistent also ignores just how much the first look was uniquely tied in the ownership at the time and that the new ownership kept the same, consistent, branding of a duck. The Ducks aren't out here wearing a black/orange/gold home and an [insert name of purple]/jade away right now. Nor do they have different logos for different jersey templates.

Tampa has also only had two looks over 31 years. Dallas has had four over 29 but that includes a relocation scenario where Dallas didn't really have their own jerseys for a handful of years (which would most likely never happen again in a relocation). Calgary has had four over 43.

All these teams are way more consistent currently that Carolina currently is and those teams don't have people saying "um ackchyually, Carolina may wear three different jerseys with three different logos but their names are the same font", Carolina just didn't change happen to change colours ever.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

If you ever wanted to know what VGK's colorway would look like in just gold and gray, absent black and red (and in this case, on a white sweater), here you go.

The knight mannequin in their team shop is (or was, last time I was there) strictly in gold and gray. I do still wonder how much more streamlined a look VGK would have if they kept it to those two colors, though I suppose a slightest bit of black might help enhance even if only a teeny tiny little bit.

As for Seattle, yeah...those things are gonna sell out QUICK. (For those who can afford them.) I'll say this...again...for adidas as they're on their way out the door after this season (though I wish they would have re-upped with the NHL): they do way better at designing for their teams. And at least their retail jerseys still mostly resemble the on-ice product in terms of quality.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 minutes ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Again, what is with the reveal featuring models wearing a jersey that's several sizes too large? Show us what it looks like on a player! My opinion of these jerseys can change dramatically once I see how it'll look on the ice with full equipment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bmac said:

With the gear:

F_j2dM6a0AAGOxY?format=jpg&name=medium

Wish we could see the barber pole socks Vegas is wearing, but the graphic cuts off.

Just as I thought: The Vegas jersey looked bland and uninspiring on its own with a random person wearing it, but it looks great with the full grey gear. Seattle looks amazing as well.

This should be a great-looking game in January.

• Like 4

On 11/21/2023 at 10:56 PM, Chromatic said:

The whole uniform just looks dingy, I think that's the best way to describe it. Its like they tried to infuse the 'dive bar' or 'grimy hot dog stand' aesthetic into a hockey uniform. 

On 11/22/2023 at 12:52 AM, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I disagree. The 'upgraded' flying skate jersey works better for me - the white in the logo gets in the way of the contrast of the yellow. Without the white, the yellow and red pops much better. There's plenty of crisp contrast going on. The sublimated Vs on the striping, yeah sure I could do without but its not that ergregious. 

I bought one of these jerseys and I wouldnt have bought one of the original throwbacks. This newer one feels much fresher and sharp.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

One of the 3 richest teams in the league disgracing BOTH jerseys now with stupid sponsor patches. One that looks like our oldest rival's logo at that! I hope Geoff Molson wakes up tomorrow morning with ingrown nails. Greedy bastard

Yeah its a maple leaf but if you had to pick a logo that compliments the look and feel of a jersey then this isn't that bad.

It's when the logos start to stand out like a sore thumb that is really starts to get depressing. Like the TD logo on the Canucks' black jerseys.

• Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 minute ago, Bayne said:

I disagree. The 'upgraded' flying skate jersey works better for me - the white in the logo gets in the way of the contrast of the yellow. Without the white, the yellow and red pops much better. There's plenty of crisp contrast going on. The sublimated Vs on the striping, yeah sure I could do without but its not that ergregious. 

I bought one of these jerseys and I wouldnt have bought one of the original throwbacks. This newer one feels much fresher and sharp.

I think you're in the minority here, and it's not even anything to do with the design of the new jersey, but the fact that it was only brought back for nostalgia. When a jersey is brought back solely for nostalgia, I think people simply prefer a direct throwback.

An example I can use is the NFL New York Giants. Their throwback jerseys feature royal blue, but due to manufacturing difficulties in the 80s, the original uniforms had navy helmets. When the Giants brought back that throwback for 2011, they paired it with their present-day royal blue helmet shells.

spacer.png

But when they later wore the blue version of their throwbacks, they brought back the navy shell for nostalgia's sake, and this past season they wore the white throwbacks again, but with the navy shell that's accurate to the original:

spacer.png

And people loved it. Not because it looks better. but because that's how it originally was. My point is that when you have throwbacks that you're just wearing as throwbacks, people want a direct throwback, even if there's a way to improve upon the original design.

• Like 1