2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

Sharks - Just like Rangers alternate, they've should decide if they go with standard stripes or with gradient stripes. In Sharks case both things together looks a little bit too much.

Rangers - huge stripes, but I know this is a Stadium Series thing. I like it, better than their alternate

Flyers - great idea with nameplate that went into sleeves. Add black outline on numbers

Devils - I think I would like it more if it's black-red with some white instead of red and black.

Islanders - Younger Lou would never approved this design.

4r2eer.png

7 hours ago, dont care said:

You say that like anyone will be reading the NOB’s in any game other than close up shot

Not in this case because the ice is going to be so far away from the stands but I have seen first hand jerseys like this and they are hard to read from even a lower bowl perspective (or the equivalent in smaller arenas where it's just one level).

Also, people can definitely read NOBs from a lot of places, in person and on tv.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Rangers: Good. Delivered on the brief.

Flyers: Pretty good. They stick to their identify and I can't fault them on it.

Devils: Never been a fan of the NJ sans holding shape. Vindicated after seeing this. I don't like the duotone thing. Meh.

Islanders: Don't hate it but it's pretty average and dull. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:31 AM, ruttep said:

Predictions for the helmet/pants colors:

Rangers: white helmet, same red pants they use for every uniform

Islanders: navy helmet, navy pants

Devils: black helmet, black pants

Flyers: white helmet, black pants (I think they might've gone with a black helmet if not for the rule that teams cannot wear the same color helmet as their opponent)

Rangers jersey is cream, so I don't think they will be going with a white helmet.  I don't think a team has worn a white helmet with cream as it wouldn't look very good.

I think Islanders/Rangers will both be in blue and Flyers and Devils in black.  Maybe Devils in red.  I would think they would just make an exception to the helmet rule for these types of games.

2 minutes ago, M4One said:

Rangers jersey is cream, so I don't think they will be going with a white helmet.  I don't think a team has worn a white helmet with cream as it wouldn't look very good.

I think Islanders/Rangers will both be in blue and Flyers and Devils in black.  Maybe Devils in red.  I would think they would just make an exception to the helmet rule for these types of games.

Yeah, I wasn't able to tell at first that the jersey was cream. You're probably right.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:54 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Islanders:

Pure garbage. I have not one single good thing to say about this one. Fire everyone involved in the creation of this monstrosity

+1.  I would have honestly preferred they just went with a Navy version of their home jersey...  It wouldn't be remotely creative but it at least it wouldn't look like hot garbage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

+1.  I would have honestly preferred they just went with a Navy version of their home jersey...  It wouldn't be remotely creative but it at least it wouldn't look like hot garbage.

Honestly I wish more teams would do what the Devils did in 2014 and say screw your gimmick, we're just gonna wear a throwback in our Stadium Series game.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

11 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Honestly I wish more teams would do what the Devils did in 2014 and say screw your gimmick, we're just gonna wear a throwback in our Stadium Series game.

The Devils should have just worn their Green Reverse Retro's.  Those were way to good to last just one season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:51 PM, ruttep said:

I've always wondered if Reebok had a design ready to go or if Lou put the kibosh on it before they even got started.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 1/26/2024 at 12:46 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I guess I'm in the minority thinking that all 4 of these are absolute garbage.

I think the Flyers jersey is good. I'm not crazy about the single-layer orange numbers, but they aren't a dealbreaker. And they finally found a way to make the contrasting nameplates work within the flow of the design.

The other three are boring. I'm surprised people are okay with "NYR" on the front of the jersey. To me, if you can't fit the whole wordmark, just use a front logo. This looks like a half-assed compromise.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I've always wondered if Reebok had a design ready to go or if Lou put the kibosh on it before they even got started.

They probably did if they went through the trouble of creating this monstrosity 🤢

I can't stand the Stadium Series...  Drove the whole Outdoor Game concept right into the ground.  There should just be a Winter Classic and Heritage Classic.

jtPvMTm.png

• Dislike 1

Love the Devils with green. A nice permanent dark green would be lovely.

I've actually really started to appreciate the Flyers jersey. Favourite one for me. Very nice.

I think the Devils' is actually, honestly just as boring as the Islanders'. Isolating the NJ to its silhouette only doesnt look great to me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:51 AM, ruttep said:

That's the whole point of Stadium Series jerseys, right? Exaggerated and loud jerseys designs that are worn by players for one night only, as a contrast to the more traditional aesthetics of Winter Classic designs. Whilst I understood why the Devils would want to wear their throwbacks, I still say it looks out of place.

11 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I can't stand the Stadium Series...  Drove the whole Outdoor Game concept right into the ground.  There should just be a Winter Classic and Heritage Classic.

I guess that's a good way to say "I prefer more throwback and fauxback jerseys over something that's meant to be designed in the future". To each it's own, I suppose.

As for this year's design, I agree that the Flyers are the best out of the four. The 2nd goes to the Rangers, followed by the Devils in the 3rd, and the last one being the Isles. Maybe they could a use throwback treatment as well just like the Devils did 10 years ago.  I stared at that jersey and I got a sleepy feeling from it.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, FCMacbeth said:

I guess that's a good way to say "I prefer more throwback and fauxback jerseys over something that's meant to be designed in the future". To each it's own, I suppose.

I can see why @Morgan33 would think that the Stadium Series "drives the whole outdoor game concept into the ground." I agree that trying to design something for the future has its place, but it is a little weird that the NHL has made outdoor games that place. The original point of outdoor games is to celebrate hockey's origins, where games took place on frozen ponds. There's a heavy traditional feel to outdoor games, and throwbacks/fauxbacks translate perfectly to that vibe. When the Stadium Series introduces brash, loud, futuristic designs, it seems to run counter to the original purpose of playing games outdoors. 

I'm with Morgan on this one. Futuristic design is fine, but the Stadium Series is an odd choice of an event to showcase it at. Futuristic/nontraditional uniform matchups have happened indoors as well. See: Most All-Star Games. Also, this matchup a few weeks ago between the Kings and Leafs:

spacer.png