2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

4 hours ago, kimball said:

Your post brought a thought in mind that this might be the start of a trend. I could see teams going this route of honoring multiple eras in future designs. Sure, there's the 75th anniversary uniforms, but there was little cohesion there (not to mention a one year thing for most teams). But, teams like Golden State, the Clippers, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Philadelphia could make that work and do well with it.

ADD: I guess you could say it kind of started with Cleveland's recent redesign.

Perhaps in the NBA it may, but that general trend has been going on for years across other sports. Personally, I've just about become numb to the whole "honor the past, embrace the present/future" line of design of reasoning—feels like ever since Nike started that line with CFB back around 2015 or so that's all I've been seeing. I know this next part is dangerous territory given what skipper is driving three of the four major pro sports ships (hint: it looks like a check mark), but I'm honestly ready to start seeing some new directions and new directions. Speaking of which...

3 hours ago, Pirate_Nation said:

Statement uniform

There's a part of me that wants to like this. I like the general idea of it, but something about the execution just feels off. I actually like the KINGS script as a callback to the 90s-early 2000s chest scripts worn by Mitch Richmond, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and of course White Chocolate, but it definitely didn't need the small SACRAMENTO stuck in there. I guess I'll say I like it if only for the fact that purple is more prominent (which they should have made more of an effort to own this go-round but...whatevs). We'll see if it makes it past year one though...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Perhaps in the NBA it may, but that general trend has been going on for years across other sports. Personally, I've just about become numb to the whole "honor the past, embrace the present/future" line of design of reasoning—feels like ever since Nike started that line with CFB back around 2015 or so that's all I've been seeing. I know this next part is dangerous territory given what skipper is driving three of the four major pro sports ships (hint: it looks like a check mark), but I'm honestly ready to start seeing some new directions and new directions.

I understand this point. And it's a good one. But at the same time, so much of sports is rooted in nostalgia that it makes perfect sense for teams to evolve while taking nods to their visual history.

For example, I'm a lifelong Timberwolves fan who think their current look — a significant creative departure from the past — is the most bland and lifeless the team has ever looked. But their 2021-22 City Edition uniform, which incorporated small touches from all their prior looks, might be one of my favorite Wolves uniforms ever. 

That set needed some editing, but I'd love nothing more for the Timberwolves to come up with something new that draws some of its lineage to the looks of the past, whether it be by returning to kelly green and royal blue or  modernizing a prior wordmark. 

It's a different sports, obviously, but I think what the Twins did this year did a great job of threading the needle between giving the team a new direction while maintaining links to the past. If there's a design strategy to follow, I hope it's that one. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I understand this point. And it's a good one. But at the same time, so much of sports is rooted in nostalgia that it makes perfect sense for teams to evolve while taking nods to their visual history.

For example, I'm a lifelong Timberwolves fan who think their current look — a significant creative departure from the past — is the most bland and lifeless the team has ever looked. But their 2021-22 City Edition uniform, which incorporated small touches from all their prior looks, might be one of my favorite Wolves uniforms ever. 

That set needed some editing, but I'd love nothing more for the Timberwolves to come up with something new that draws some of its lineage to the looks of the past, whether it be by returning to kelly green and royal blue or  modernizing a prior wordmark. 

It's a different sports, obviously, but I think what the Twins did this year did a great job of threading the needle between giving the team a new direction while maintaining links to the past. If there's a design strategy to follow, I hope it's that one. 

Also good points. And it can be a successful strategy...when pulled off successfully. Some teams did it better than others (exhibit A: the aforementioned Twins). Others aaallllllmost got it there (exhibit B: the Kings). 

And I also agree about the nostalgia factor, in this way: some teams have had such a unique and distinctive look and/or have had such memorable cult classic (I'm not gonna use "iconic" here because that term gets thrown around WAY too much) that anything short of direct facsimiles will seem to always fall short (see: Ducks, Anaheim, formerly Mighty, also of, and also formerly eggplant and jade). In those instances—and let's include the Timberwolves here since it came up—a straight update of those, such as the City or whatever-they-were-called alternates from a year or so ago, would have been lovely (especially since their current primaries fall so flat). The Kings, on the other hand, have had a handful of decent looks over time—well, except for the last two rounds—but nothing that really "excited" anyone, so the direction they're going now would have been a great jumping-off point for something with the soul of their but in a brand new wineskin. It almost got got there...almost. But also feel like it'll be changing again in about five years' time.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, Pirate_Nation said:

Statement uniform

While I'm not a fan of the execution of it, I will say that it looks better in these pics than the one that was leaked the other day of just the uniform. Could do without the Sacramento wordmark atop the Kings one.  The ad logo stands out in a bad way on this one compared to their Icon and Association uniforms

Another look at the set here

spacer.png

I'd probably get on board with this more if it was their City uniform, and they instead had something like this as their Statement uniform

spacer.png

credit for the mockup: https://www.instagram.com/jerseyxswap/

• Like 30

It's good except for the wordmark. Wish either this or the black had the full Sacramento wordmark and the other kings. I can understand not wanting the same wordmark for all 3.    Somehow the black next to purple on the regular ones with the script evokes mitch Richmond, tiny Archibald, Phil Ford dark blues and I like it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chakfu said:

It's good except for the wordmark. Wish either this or the black had the full Sacramento wordmark and the other kings. I can understand not wanting the same wordmark for all 3.    Somehow the black next to purple on the regular ones with the script evokes mitch Richmond, tiny Archibald, Phil Ford dark blues and I like it.

Yeah I'm hoping their City uniform has the full Sacramento script on it whenever that's revealed

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like these better than the regular whites. 

That "8 fouls" stat cracked me up cuz at first I thought that Summer preseason games might have had different rules (since the league likes to experiment with new rules and equipments in preseason, G-League and ASGs) but I am going to assume it's over the 2 games.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

That "8 fouls" stat cracked me up cuz at first I thought that Summer preseason games might have had different rules (since the league likes to experiment with new rules and equipments in preseason, G-League and ASGs) but I am going to assume it's over the 2 games.

It's up to 10 fouls in a summer league game.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 3

On 7/3/2023 at 10:39 PM, Conrad. said:

Confirmation of the new designs being used on the Summer League jerseys: 

That being said, we'll only be seeing (noticing) 1 more team using their new wordmark. In Vegas 😉 

Wait, so you said "designs", plural.

Then you noted that out of the 3 teams releasing new looks only one other will be seen by us other than the Kings.

Then you said "In Vegas".

Then you winked.
Are the Warriors the second team to show off their new look? Could they be switching from the big circle to a "Warriors" wordmark on their jerseys? Or are you just saying one team won't be showing off their new twordmark in summer league?

• Applause 1

Nike can't not touch a uniform without going full gradient lately

HOWEVER, I am a big fan of this application. Purple and black are close enough that it's not super gaudy, it's a call back to a previous set while being different. 

and I like the wordmark play here

5 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Nike can't not touch a uniform without going full gradient lately

HOWEVER, I am a big fan of this application. Purple and black are close enough that it's not super gaudy, it's a call back to a previous set while being different. 

and I like the wordmark play here

Yeah. The gradient is subtle and works.  Being "experimental" it makes sense as the alternate, leaving black as the primary - but with purple trim.  I like the whole set except for the wordmark on the statement.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

While I'm not a fan of the execution of it, I will say that it looks better in these pics than the one that was leaked the other day of just the uniform. Could do without the Sacramento wordmark atop the Kings one.  The ad logo stands out in a bad way on this one compared to their Icon and Association uniforms

Another look at the set here

spacer.png

I'd probably get on board with this more if it was their City uniform, and they instead had something like this as their Statement uniform

spacer.png

credit for the mockup: https://www.instagram.com/jerseyxswap/

Tentatively I am supportive of the gradient here.  Hopefully on the court they're not comically dumb.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Kings' new uniforms are solid. Better than the old ones and I'm glad they moved on from grey being as present, but it does make the primary logo feel out of place a little. I would have loved a purple "Association" uniform over black, but it looks fine in black. The Alt feels like they just missed the mark. Using the old split uniform design as inspiration concerned me cause I think it wasn't good then and now, but they almost nailed it. The checkerboard pattern feels more natural in purple and black compared to the white and purple of the '90s. The gradient makes it look much nicer compared to the hard-line distinction of purple and black. The script is lacking.  I would have liked something with the new Sacramento script on it or take it out from above the wordmark.  

• Like 2

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

6 hours ago, eRay said:

Wait, so you said "designs", plural.

Then you noted that out of the 3 teams releasing new looks only one other will be seen by us other than the Kings.

Then you said "In Vegas".

Then you winked.
Are the Warriors the second team to show off their new look? Could they be switching from the big circle to a "Warriors" wordmark on their jerseys? Or are you just saying one team won't be showing off their new twordmark in summer league?

charlie-day.gif

And no, I didn't think about the Warriors going with the straight wordmark for Summer League. They've done that for a while now. They're not changing anything.

We've seen games of 2 of the 3 teams changing already. Obv, the Kings + a team that is barely changing wordmark treatment, not being reflected in the Summer League template.

The 3rd team is only playing in Vegas, so we'll (hypothetically) see the new wordmark soon.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

We've seen games of 2 of the 3 teams changing already. Obv, the Kings + a team that is barely changing wordmark treatment, not being reflected in the Summer League template.

The 3rd team is only playing in Vegas, so we'll (hypothetically) see the new wordmark soon.

The teams that have played so far are the Heat, Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Warriors, Kings, Grizzlies, 76ers, Thunder, and Jazz. We've already seen the Kings and the Warriors aren't changing. My guess is the 76ers, who, if I'm remembering correctly, adjusted the drop shadow on their red uniforms last season, so my guess is they're applying the same new drop shadow treatment to their white and blue jerseys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd team is the Mavericks or the Pelicans - the Mavs seem to have been on the verge of a redesign for years and the Pelicans just swapped their global logo, maybe with new jerseys to go alongside?

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt