2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't think it's too British. Mid-century modern is the note I always thought they were trying to strike, since that's kind of when Houston came of age, and I think Gill Sans fits that. I think it's even pretty close to that original number set.

It’s close, but the Oilers’ 1960 font was somewhat less well-produced.

spacer.png

Serifs on the 1 are the biggest separation.

Yep, it's a truer evolution of the original logo (and also, I guess that was a straight recolor in the NFL, going from slate blue to grey in 2012) and much more engaging. 

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, GoHawks said:

I prefer the grey jerseys being retired instead of the action green. The grey jerseys are always worn against the same team (cardinals) which made the novelty of it disappear. The grey pants are also still in use which can be worn with both navy and white jerseys while the action green pants are only worn with the action green jerseys. The action green color is also unique and is not used by any other team.

Is “action” a euphemism for “nauseating “?

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Oilers throwbacks are imperfect, but it was really nice to see them this week. Columbia and red is a strong color scheme, the oil derrick and drop-shadowed wordmark looked  terrific on the field, and all of it meant not seeing the crappy Titans uniforms. I have no position on "they should use this full-time," but I maintain that Houston should have gotten the same deal Cleveland got or, better yet, the move should have been disallowed in the first place. It's a classic identity and I think a lot of us missed it.

On the other hand, the Seahawks throwbacks do nothing for me. With the Buccaneers, you can sit and weigh the novelty of the color scheme versus the historic ineptitude of the teams that first wore them versus the ineptitude of the later Bucs teams that wore pewter, but the Seahawks, I dunno, they just look kind of like the Lions but worse and always went 8-8. There's no real emotional valence there. Also, somehow their plastic grass looks like dead actual grass. What's with that.

Exactly.  I was always befuddled with how that all worked out. The Browns got to keep their identity and Houston didn’t because…why? The people of Cleveland were more upset or something?

The Oilers uniforms are indeed a nice reprieve from the jagged hodgepodge we see on Tennessee’s field every week. I wish that the Titans would have done something with powder blue and Tennessee orange, but oh well…in the late nineties, teams were darkening their color schemes for no reason…

In Retro Bowl I set Tennessee’s colors to those of the state flag. It looks great. The shades of blue and red would actually be unique to the league. 

I’m not that firmly planted in the “these teams need to wear their throwbacks full time” belief system, but we can all agree on the Dolphins, right? Maybe not the Patriots or Titans or Seahawks or Buccaneers, but DEFINITELY the Dolphins. It’s just a better uniform all the way around. 

The Commanders need gold pants with the burgundy jersey. NEED. Aren’t there some sitting in a Landover closet somewhere?

I think we’re headed for the Falcons being the first 2020 uniform fail to try again. I bet (hope) the base a new modern set around the 1966 throwback, with the red helmet and pants to match. Would be perfect.

I wouldn’t HATE a full time thread to discuss the aesthetic anomalies of the Dallas Cowboys uniforms…I think the white pants look great with the navy blues(that striping is amazing!) as long as their socks are navy too. Get a memo, Dak.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

10 hours ago, GoHawks said:

I prefer the grey jerseys being retired instead of the action green. The grey jerseys are always worn against the same team (cardinals) which made the novelty of it disappear. The grey pants are also still in use which can be worn with both navy and white jerseys while the action green pants are only worn with the action green jerseys. The action green color is also unique and is not used by any other team.

They need to try the green pants with the navy or white jersey. It might not look good but it's worth trying

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

34 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

I'm not that firmly planted in the “these teams need to wear their throwbacks full time” belief system, but we can all agree on the Dolphins, right? 

Wrong.

As stated yesterday, the Dolphins have the best unis to come out of the 2010s. I am a fan of the '72 throwbacks, but it's not worth throwing away their current look. Seeing them 3 times a year is good enough.

4 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Good thing Bears vs Chargers didn't get flexed out of SNF

🥴🥴🥴

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

53 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

Exactly.  I was always befuddled with how that all worked out. The Browns got to keep their identity and Houston didn’t because…why? The people of Cleveland were more upset or something?

More or less, yes. The relocation of the Browns set everyone off, which included people in government to an extent that the Oilers' move didn't. I don't think the NFL particularly loved the idea of holding an entire franchise's IP in abeyance, but they didn't really have a choice. The people of Cleveland just wanted it more. 

There are two ways to move a sports team: so abruptly that people don't know what hit 'em (Chargers, Supersonics, Nordiques,  Thrashers, L.A. Raiders, and the writers of the book, the Baltimore Colts) or breaking people's will so gradually that eventually everyone kinda wants you gone (Expos, Whalers, St. Louis Rams). The Oilers definitely did the latter, the Browns kinda did neither: they gave the market and state government two months to get mad and do something about it. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, timjameskohler said:

The Commanders need gold pants with the burgundy jersey. NEED. Aren’t there some sitting in a Landover closet somewhere?

The stripe pattern of the gold pants used with the last set would totally work with the stripe pattern of the burgundy jersey.  They could easily just use that design.  I would be afraid that if gold pants were introduced, we'd just get stripe-less gold pants though.

• Like 2

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

As stated yesterday, the Dolphins have the best unis to come out of the 2010s. I am a fan of the '72 throwbacks, but it's not worth throwing away their current look. Seeing them 3 times a year is good enough.

The '72 throwbacks are absolutely worth tossing the current look. Superior logo, superior colors, superior number font (besides whatever happened to Tyreek Hill's TV number yesterday), superior shoulder striping, superior pants, superior socks, superior helmet. In my opinion, it blows the modern Dolphins look out of the water in every single aspect of the uniform.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ruttep said:

Superior logo

Nope.

superior colors

Absolutely not.

superior number font

Ok. You got me on that one.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

Nope.

Absolutely not.

Ok. You got me on that one.

I mean, fair. Agree to disagree on this one as well. I've just always considered the classic Dolphins look to be one of my favorites of all time.

23 minutes ago, HailGoldPants said:

The stripe pattern of the gold pants used with the last set would totally work with the stripe pattern of the burgundy jersey.  They could easily just use that design.  I would be afraid that if gold pants were introduced, we'd just get stripe-less gold pants though.

If gold pants do get introduced, it’s possible they’ll either go sans stripe or one sold burgundy stripe.

You could theoretically pair them with the white jersey. It may not look the greatest because of the black trimmings, but it’s close enough to this to at least warrant a consideration-

spacer.png

Truth be told, at the time of the unveiling I 100% thought they were going this route.

• Like 1