2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

21 hours ago, ruttep said:

I like the slightly darker shade of the throwbacks. That along with old helmet >>> new helmet, old number font >>> new number font, and old stripes >>> new sleeve logo, means that I strongly prefer the throwbacks. I wouldn't say there's something "wrong" with the current look, it's a perfectly good uniform, it just has no chance when being compared to those throwbacks.

The current look, the regular aquas, are inferior to the aqua that was before it.

miami-dolphins-v-new-england-patriots.jp

I'll take those over the current aqua, the regular ones.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I guess I disagree with the premise that all-black needs contrasting socks, as I seem to be in the minority for liking the Falcons’ all-black combo.

The reason it needs contrasting socks is because the pants color should never match the socks color. No exceptions. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, VikWings said:

You're going to be in for a rude awaking Christmas Eve when they wear all white from the neck down, and at home.

I actually like then in white on white, provided they wear purple socks, but they seem to only wear purple socks with the purple pants these days.

Vikings in white on white with purple socks looks good because it was the primary road look for decades and decades. The purple pants are decent (again, I'm not thrilled about the fact that they're always paired with purple socks), but white on white with purple socks is their true road look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If the Vikings want to wear purple pants, they should wear them with striped white socks that match the sleeve striping.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, gothedistance said:

The current look, the regular aquas, are inferior to the aqua that was before it.

miami-dolphins-v-new-england-patriots.jp

I'll take those over the current aqua, the regular ones.

I feel like the dolphins current set is very dependent on lighting.  I think the top picture is a very nice greenish aqua but at night it is too blue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

The reason it needs contrasting socks is because the pants color should never match the socks color. No exceptions. 

I think that’s a good general rule of thumb, but I’m not sure I’d go as far as to say there aren’t any exceptions to it. I personally like certain monochrome combos that are either quite dark, like the Seahawks or Bears all-navy, or combos that are all-white, such as the Dolphins or Bills (I generally prefer the contrasting pants for both of those teams, but I still don’t mind the all-white). 

I’m also genuinely curious whether this uniform is part of that rule for you, or if it gets an exception because of the stripes on the socks:

wQyoLuI.jpg

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

Vikings in white on white with purple socks looks good because it was the primary road look for decades and decades. The purple pants are decent (again, I'm not thrilled about the fact that they're always paired with purple socks), but white on white with purple socks is their true road look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

If the Vikings want to wear purple pants, they should wear them with striped white socks that match the sleeve striping.

As a lifelong Vikings fan, I actually prefer the purple pants as the primary road combo. I do agree though that pairing the purple pants with purple socks is less than ideal. My slight disagreement is that I don’t think the white socks necessarily need to be striped in order for them to be a superior option to purple socks.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m also genuinely curious whether this uniform is part of that rule for you, or if it gets an exception because of the stripes on the socks:

wQyoLuI.jpg

It's not my favorite, it's probably the weakest look among the recent throwback trend, precisely because of the socks. I know the white striped socks are historically accurate, but I find this look to be very unbalanced. The main reason I don't like when the socks and pants are the same color is because it looks like the player's just wearing one long pair of leggings, even if there's stripes.

I thought that Matthew Judon massively improved the look by wearing red socks:

spacer.png

The balance of color is greatly improved with the red socks: White helmet and pants, red jersey and socks. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

It's not my favorite, it's probably the weakest look among the recent throwback trend, precisely because of the socks. I know the white striped socks are historically accurate, but I find this look to be very unbalanced. The main reason I don't like when the socks and pants are the same color is because it looks like the player's just wearing one long pair of leggings, even if there's stripes.

I thought that Matthew Judon massively improved the look by wearing red socks:

spacer.png

The balance of color is greatly improved with the red socks: White helmet and pants, red jersey and socks. 

Funny you bring up red socks because the original Pat Patriot look in the 60's had red socks with blue stripes. They wore it several times in 2009 as part of the AFL 50th Anniversary.

PTA3MFSVWYI6FKMSGQIEHOA264.jpg

• Like 10

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

White-Color-White-Color is massively better than all White-Color-White-Color regardless of stripes on the white socks.

I have no idea what this means.

As for the Patriots, I kinda feel that in most cases, socks should match helmet*, despite the perceived imbalance of white on the bottom.  I think that could be remedied if his stripes were higher on the calf like they are designed to be.

*not a hard rule, but a place to start when designing.  Full exceptions made for teams with metallic helmets, because the pants should always match with their dark uniforms, and almost always match with their white ones**, and the metallic isn't possible to replicate on socks.

**for the very few of you that don't take copious notes on all of my uniform rules, the allowance here is that teams can wear the pants that match the color of their home jersey with their white jersey, even if their metallic helmet doesn't match (see old Boston College).  This should be scrutinized on a case-by-case basis, and when it's done, the socks should be primarily white with some stripe pattern.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I had a feeling the Panthers would wear the black helmets this week since there was a small chance this would become a prime time Saturday matchup (and we all know night game means alternate uniform 90% of the time).

This has been confirmed on Twitter for the second straight year. Terrible choice once again.

USATSI_19401995_168395514_lowres.jpg?w=9

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

America Christmas!

You say that but this game was played in mid October lmao, one of the earliest games I can remember watching. Nothing makes a 5-year-old's day quite like an unexpected snowstorm and a 59-0 blowout by your favorite team.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

The color of the socks should generally match a big color block that's above the waist. That can be the helmet, that can be the jersey, or that can be the numbers. I don't mind if the socks and pants match provided that 1) the socks match one of those three things and 2) the pants have a stripe that breaks up the design.

That's why I don't mind these:

09092022_Joey-Blount-Seahawks_154927.jpg

or these:

trpudoxuol5akooses4o.jpg

or these:

usa_today_10416982.jpg

There is one uniform that breaks these rules that I still like, and it's this one:

Baltimore-Ravens-cut-Elvis-Dumervil.jpg

That probably has a lot to me first seeing these uniforms during a Monday Night game when I was a kid and thought they were really cool. That one has stuck with me ever since.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

PTA3MFSVWYI6FKMSGQIEHOA264.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous game. Too bad the quality of play didn't come close to matching the quality of the uniforms.

7 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

usa_today_10416982.jpg

To me that's the most tolerable of the color rush sets, because of the giant yellow stripe on the pants that is so cartoonishly wide that there's no conceivable way to call it a black leggings look.

• Like 2

I've had a lot of exposure to both basketball and hockey where wearing all one color is the norm (at home in hockey for most teams), so maybe that's why I have a higher tolerance than others for monochrome. It isn't my preference usually, but it also doesn't really bother me as long as it is designed well. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I've had a lot of exposure to both basketball and hockey where wearing all one color is the norm (at home in hockey for most teams), so maybe that's why I have a higher tolerance than others for monochrome. It isn't my preference usually, but it also doesn't really bother me as long as it is designed well. 

I also watch a lot more hockey than I do any other sport, but I have different tastes for different sports. In hockey, all one color works because there's plenty of design elements to break up all the color, as well as how well it contrasts with a white ice surface. In football, though, the fact of the matter is that there's less uniform to work with (shorter sleeves), and striped socks are all but extinct apart from throwbacks, especially when it comes to wearing all one color.

In regards to your last sentence, I don't think monochrome NFL uniforms are designed well at all (or, if they are, the team decides to wear the uniform in a way that hinders that design). 

• Like 1

Seahawks just posted this video but I don’t know if it is from this week or an earlier week. It shows the Seahawks offense in the throwbacks which would be the 3rd time they wear them and 4th time they wear an alternate which would technically be against the rules but we have seen it broken before. My far fetched dream is the Seahawks wear their royal blue throwbacks with the Eagles in kelly green throwbacks on Monday night.

5 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

My far fetched dream is the Seahawks wear their royal blue throwbacks with the Eagles in kelly green throwbacks on Monday night.

I feel like the NFL would veto a blue vs green color vs color pretty quickly. Then again, they did give the ok for powder blue vs navy blue . . .

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

The color of the socks should generally match a big color block that's above the waist. That can be the helmet, that can be the jersey, or that can be the numbers. I don't mind if the socks and pants match provided that 1) the socks match one of those two things and 2) the pants have a stripe that breaks up the design.

That's why I don't mind these:

09092022_Joey-Blount-Seahawks_154927.jpg

or these:

trpudoxuol5akooses4o.jpg

or these:

usa_today_10416982.jpg

There is one uniform that breaks these rules that I still like, and it's this one:

Baltimore-Ravens-cut-Elvis-Dumervil.jpg

That probably has a lot to me first seeing these uniforms during a Monday Night game when I was a kid and thought they were really cool. That one has stuck with me ever since.

completely agree with this rule, which is why I've always disliked when teams use solid white socks to break up mono looks like these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Without any stripes on white socks, it just makes the uniform feel incomplete, especially when everyone on the team is wearing them

At that point, might as well commit to the mono look, the bland white sock taking up 50% of the legs doesn't do much to help.

spacer.png

This one works better because of the stripes

• Like 2