2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

I try not to comment on the untucked shirt trend, since every single player does it, but my goodness does David Montgomery look bad with that untucked black shirt. That trend is particularly unbearable when the untucked shirt is a color that's not present anywhere else on the uniform.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Cowboys/Packers looks outstanding, as expected (except for half the Cowboys wearing white socks, but we already knew that was gonna happen).

Good thing Green Bay won and now we're headed for another outstanding game when they visit the Niners next weekend. Of the four possible matchups for the other NFC divisional, I think Rams (wearing white/yellow) at Bucs (wearing red/pewter) would look the best.

• Like 2

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Is Detroit's blue really this drastically different from the Sanders-era shade?  Or is it just the material?  I never realized how deep their current shade is.

1437054369.0.jpg detroit-lions-running-back-barry-sanders

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is easily the best this Rams/Lions matchup has looked in a quarter century.

Maybe, but it'd look much better with the Lions in gray pants.  I'm not anti-monochrome, but theirs is awful.  The gray numbers on blue make it even worse.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is easily the best this Rams/Lions matchup has looked in a quarter century.

Rams/Lions in DET:

spacer.png

2009/2010/2012/2016

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd say "best" since 2016. Hated the white horn look in 2018, but at least in the 09/10/12/16 matchups, each team had properly contrasting uniform elements.

Of course, 1999 blows the other matchups here out of the water. 2001 and 2003 are a distant second and third.

• Like 8

This NIKE Honolulu Blue looks darker, and I don't like them in monochrome blue one bit. I like the older block numbers too. 

The LIONS should have gone with silver pants and Honolulu blue socks, perhaps with northwestern striping.

The RAMS look like LA on the road (pre-1995) again with the bright yellow pants and blue socks, way ta go!!

True LA RAMS.

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Is Detroit's blue really this drastically different from the Sanders-era shade?  Or is it just the material?  I never realized how deep their current shade is.

1437054369.0.jpg detroit-lions-running-back-barry-sanders

Material, lighting, and just being a newer camera all are a factor.

• Like 5

According to @TruColor, the classic Lions blue is actually darker and closer to a royal.  I assume this is just Bubbles' color (he doesn't have uniform colors for the pre-2002 set).  I own a replica Sanders jersey, and it's certainly a lighter blue.

Current on the left, Sanders-era on the right.

pantone-color-chip-2196-c.webpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnzU_UnoQ9xv6TMBVD2lh

TruColor lists the shade of Honolulu Blue they used from 1938-1964 as Pantone 300C, and to me, that shade looks a lot closer to the Sanders-era uniforms than 293C does.

I think they might have changed the shade of blue for print a couple times but never changed it on the uniforms.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here's a game-worn Sanders jersey.  To be fair, there's other game-worn ones for auction that are different shades.  I assume the lighting is pretty good for these since they're listed for auction and need to be representative of the actual product.

I think it may be an optical illusion caused by the amount of white on this jersey as well as the light reflected by the dazzle fabric.  I think the royal-ish blue is for Bubbles as well as the numbers on their white jersey, which certainly appear darker than the Honolulu-blue one.  

I wonder if the fill-tool was used to make the white in the numbers into a darker gray, (same wiht the stripes), if that would show that they're closer to current than I thought.

26_023_7610A_lg.jpeg  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Here's a game-worn Sanders jersey.  To be fair, there's other game-worn ones for auction that are different shades.  I assume the lighting is pretty good for these since they're listed for auction and need to be representative of the actual product.

I think it may be an optical illusion caused by the amount of white on this jersey as well as the light reflected by the dazzle fabric.  I think the royal-ish blue is for Bubbles as well as the numbers on their white jersey, which certainly appear darker than the Honolulu-blue one.  

I wonder if the fill-tool was used to make the white in the numbers into a darker gray, (same with the stripes), if that would show that they're closer to current than I thought.

26_023_7610A_lg.jpeg  

(Emphasis added for my point.) I think the fabric has a lot to do with it. Official colors have always appeared to be different to me than their actual applications on various physical media and objects. The degrees of reflectiveness of the material combined with the ways the light (in domes vs. outside vs. day vs. night) interacts (for lack of a better word) with it changes perception a lot.

If I were to describe the iterations of blue the Lions have used, I would say that:

• The current version is the most saturated and closest to royal,
  • With the 1990s version (illustrated above) being the "truest" to what I would think of Lions blue being.
  • The blue used in first black redesign in the early 2000s was far more washed out (and I think a large part of this was due to the shine of the jerseys at the time combined with the added black and just general drabness of dome lighting).
  • And then the 2009 redesign blue was much closer to Carolina's blue.

But again, as you illustrated, I'm probably actually way off in my assessments when it comes to the official color values. The above is just how it looks/looked to my eyes. And getting back to the earlier point: I'm certain that the modern blue appears more saturated because it's on essentially matte fabric and therefore has no reflections/highlights to make it appear lighter or less saturated.

As an aside, but related to this conversation: I was looking at the Gridiron Uniform Database to get the general dates right, and it appears that the colors of those jerseys roughly mirror my perceptions described above (with the exception of the current uniforms being more saturated than the 90s uniforms; they appear to be roughly equivalent on that site). Acknowledging that the GUD isn't 100% accurate anyway, I presume they also don't use official color values and instead go on "perceived" colors as well?

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

(Emphasis added for my point.) I think the fabric has a lot to do with it. Official colors have always appeared to be different to me than their actual applications on various physical media and objects. The degrees of reflectiveness of the material combined with the ways the light (in domes vs. outside vs. day vs. night) interacts (for lack of a better word) with it changes perception a lot.

If I were to describe the iterations of blue the Lions have used, I would say that:

• The current version is the most saturated and closest to royal,
  • With the 1990s version (illustrated above) being the "truest" to what I would think of Lions blue being.
  • The blue used in first black redesign in the early 2000s was far more washed out (and I think a large part of this was due to the shine of the jerseys at the time combined with the added black and just general drabness of dome lighting).
  • And then the 2009 redesign blue was much closer to Carolina's blue.

But again, as you illustrated, I'm probably actually way off in my assessments when it comes to the official color values. The above is just how it looks/looked to my eyes. And getting back to the earlier point: I'm certain that the modern blue appears more saturated because it's on essentially matte fabric and therefore has no reflections/highlights to make it appear lighter or less saturated.

As an aside, but related to this conversation: I was looking at the Gridiron Uniform Database to get the general dates right, and it appears that the colors of those jerseys roughly mirror my perceptions described above (with the exception of the current uniforms being more saturated than the 90s uniforms; they appear to be roughly equivalent on that site). Acknowledging that the GUD isn't 100% accurate anyway, I presume they also don't use official color values and instead go on "perceived" colors as well?

spacer.png

'This goes to show that Rebook, Nike, and or whatever company that did the Lion's uniforms have no idea what Honolulu Blue really is.

Not really uniform related, but why does it seems like TV networks now love using white as the background color of their team

Graphics for scorebugs? For example, CBS has the Steelers score box shaded white for this Bills game? Is there not enough contrast between blue, red, and white and black and yellow? CBS always used to use yellow or black as the background color. It makes sense when the two teams colors are similar, but not the case in this matchup.

I guess it just sort of bugs me. Anyone else notice this?

• Like 4