MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

3 hours ago, Brian E said:

so what are we thinking for the mets CC uni? skyline? neon? some goofy "GOTHAM" thing? a jersey with a bunch of chop shop signs?

I'm betting neon. The neon ballplayers have been all over their in stadium graphics the last 2 seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Anubis.png

14 minutes ago, McCall said:

You mean all the big, fancy language you use, yet you don't know what the words "fact" and "opinion" mean and the difference between them?

I think it's pretty clear that one of us doesn't grasp that.

Please remember that everyone here is expressing opinions (albeit in prose of widely varying degrees of beauty).

• Facepalm 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think it's pretty clear that one of us doesn't grasp that.

Please remember that everyone here is expressing opinions (albeit in prose of widely varying degrees of beauty).

Everyone has an opinion, but those differing from yours are wrong by default.  We all know the routine.

Malpezigu, Francisko.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

VmWIn6B.png

25 minutes ago, McCall said:

You mean all the big, fancy language you use, yet you don't know what the words "fact" and "opinion" mean and the difference between them?🤨

I'll use this opportunity to point out that I still don't see any fancy language. 🤣

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Mariners are dropping the NOB font on their navy alternates, but oddly keeping the different number font

https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/23/exclusive-mariners-finally-scrapping-mlbs-worst-nob-font/

If they're gonna keep their current design, then I'd rather them go with that number font across the board instead of block.

A full-on rebrand would be much preferable, though.

• Like 3

The Mariners are a team that has a brand that had the potential of being absolutely timeless but they can't stop tweaking it.  All they have to do is rewind the changes to the Griffey era (with the compass on the road wordmark) and call it a day.

Griffey_Ken%20Jr_657-2015_Bat_NBL_4.jpg

1*ly_8goMOQyeer9z80KCn1g.png

800px-Ken_Griffey,_Jr._June_2009_(croppe

eh3iwyov6lthyqxs6i9b

Griffey.0.jpg

1573390800306.png

(And if they keep the navy alt, just use standard block silver numbers with Pacific green outlines).

• Like 19
  • Love 1

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

Everyone has an opinion, but those differing from yours are wrong by default. 

Two people with opposing viewpoints each think the other is wrong.  That's natural — and healthy. 

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

Malpezigu, Francisko.

I greatly appreciate the attempt at Esperanto, the world's most beautiful language!  I'd rather be denounced in Esperanto than praised in any other language.

Please let me point out the distinction between the suffixes -ig and -iĝ.  The suffix -ig carries the meaning "to make", and so creates a transitive verb; whereas the suffix -iĝ carries the meaning "to become", and so creates an intransitive verb.  Both can be placed on an adjective, as you did with the adjective "malpeza", meaning "light".  Clearly you were going for "lighten up"; the correct form for that would be "malpeziĝu" (where -u is the imperative mood ending, for a command).  By contrast, "malpezigu" would be a command to make some other thing lighter.

Finally, the Esperanto version of Ferdinand is just Ferdinando.  Also, just as English has a convention for shortened nicknames in -y  or -ie (Jimmy, Billy, Tommy, Ronnie; I myself often go by Freddie), in Esperanto we add -ĉjo to the first few letters of a masculine name. Hence "Feĉjo" for me, spelt as "Fechjo" when the Esperanto letters such as Ĉ are not available.  (This also obliquely invokes the similar-sounding word "feĉo", which means "muck" or "dregs", like a Muddy Waters sort of thing.  Esperanto humour.)

Aaanyway . . . where were we?  Ah, yes; the Yankees' new road uniform.  Tre malbonaspekta, laŭ mi.

• LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Two people with opposing viewpoints each think the other is wrong.  That's natural — and healthy. 

I greatly appreciate the attempt at Esperanto, the world's most beautiful language!  I'd rather be denounced in Esperanto than praised in any other language.

Please let me point out the distinction between the suffixes -ig and -iĝ.  The suffix -ig carries the meaning "to make", and so creates a transitive verb; whereas the suffix -iĝ carries the meaning "to become", and so creates an intransitive verb.  Both can be placed on an adjective, as you did with the adjective "malpeza", meaning "light".  Clearly you were going for "lighten up"; the correct form for that would be "malpeziĝu" (where -u is the imperative mood ending, for a command).  By contrast, "malpezigu" would be a command to make some other thing lighter.

Finally, the Esperanto version of Ferdinand is just Ferdinando.  Also, just as English has a convention for shortened nicknames in -y  or -ie (Jimmy, Billy, Tommy, Ronnie; I myself often go by Freddie), in Esperanto we add -ĉjo to the first few letters of a masculine name. Hence "Feĉjo" for me, spelt as "Fechjo" when the Esperanto letters such as Ĉ are not available.  (This also obliquely invokes the similar-sounding word "feĉo", which means "muck" or "dregs", like a Muddy Waters sort of thing.  Esperanto humour.)

Aaanyway . . . where were we?  Ah, yes; the Yankees' new road uniform.  Tre malbonaspekta, laŭ mi.

Since the joke apparently didn't translate to Esperanto, let me repost it in GIF form.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473pal6dcy2kpysdq47g

VmWIn6B.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That may be how you feel, but when it comes to those with differing opinions, I don't think they're wrong.  That's the thing about opinions, nobody is right or wrong.  It's a personal choice.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Now I see the fancy language. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Finally the Yankees did it. They should have done this in 2009. 

The Mariners have taken their '90s design about as far as it'll go. Time for neon green and some modern flair.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, The_Admiral said:

The Mariners have taken their '90s design about as far as it'll go. Time for neon green and some modern flair.

I agree. It's hard to deny that the design, particularly during the Griffey era, was and remains attractive. It's just become too muted and drab. 

In general, I've always liked the Mariners look, save for the weird blue-and-yellow transitionary period between the Trident M and the Compass S (Let's call it the Harold Reynolds era), and the more recent past, when they leaved heavily on the Navy jerseys. 

Part of me wishes the current S logo wasn't so good so we could wish back the Trident M logo. I loved that logo. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brian E said:

so what are we thinking for the mets CC uni? skyline? neon? some goofy "GOTHAM" thing? a jersey with a bunch of chop shop signs?

I would die laughing if they tried to pull a chop shop aesthetic off. They should have a Disney World-ified "chop shop" concessions row of $20 chicken sandwiches and acai bowls at Citi Field, if they don't already.

It sucks that Nike either cant, or is choosing not to, make heathered fabric that replicates the old flannel look.  That would make the Yankees even better.

As for the Dodgers, this is the best they've looked on the road since being in LA:

betts.webp

This is a factual opinion.  If you disagree with this, your opinion is not only wrong from an aesthetic perspective, but also an arithmetical one.  Just as wrong as if you said that 2+2 = 5.

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I tend to favor outlines. I even like double-outlines (like the Bucs numbers and the 1990s Chargers).

That said, I really do like the Dodgers jersey pictured above. The lack of white on that uniform makes it really nice. While I do think I prefer the white outlines for the Yankees (at least for now; we'll see whether I get used to it), I think there's a "traditional team" component that (to steal from another member, who's name I don't recall, that used to favor "brand" over "aesthetics") that makes this aesthetic work for the Yankees even though it would be a terrible idea for the Astros.

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Finally the Yankees did it. They should have done this in 2009. 

Why specifically 2009?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yankees change is a massive improvement. It helps that the new design looks similar to those worn many decades ago and recently seen at the Field of Dreams.

For the most part, almost all road jerseys should omit white trim, particularly where the white outline is against the gray.

The same can be said for these.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Cubs is slightly less egregious because the white is so thin.

spacer.png

However, there is no denying this is immensely better.

spacer.png

The lack of white outline makes these designs look much more retro. They are timeless in their style, whereas the white outlines seems like a feature from a bygone era. There are no contrast issues with dark text on light gray, so I’d argue there was zero reason to add the white outlines in the first place.

• Like 12
  • Dislike 3

More MLB news from Uni Watch today: MLB’s Last Vest Jersey Is Officially Dead

In May of 2022, several reports indicated that the Rockies’ black alternate vest was being retired “for the foreseeable future,” ostensibly to “make room” for the team’s then-upcoming City Connect uniform.

The “make room” explanation never really made sense, because the Rockies could’ve kept the black vest and still remained within the “four plus one” limit (home pinstripes, road greys, purple alternates, black vest, and CC). But whatever the real reason was, the black vests went unworn in 2022, and again in 2023.

Despite that, the black vests were shown in the MLB Style Guide in 2022 and ’23, leaving open the possibility that they could still be worn. A source tells me, however, that they are not shown in the 2024 edition of the Guide, so I think we can now officially write this jersey’s epitaph.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1