MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

Missed opportunity by Nike to create a faux flannel jersey. 

It's interesting because they did it at the Field of Dreams game and it made me hopeful that maybe we'd see the style come back if Nike is doing it and fans like it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a flannel City Connect uniform at some point.

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

On 1/23/2024 at 1:41 AM, Old School Fool said:

I like it. Reminds me of the old Lakers black jerseys in how they execute the colors. The orange outline is gonna pop most likely.

f01b2b1afe6fb9cc0433e5b9347d6c20.jpg

And now we know where the weird collar treatment on the Angels pullovers is coming from. IMO, it's official: Nike had the basketball division design the new MLB templates.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:10 AM, MJD7 said:

We had a feeling they might do that, and it's unfortunate that they did. The worst part is that the maker's marks (Nike & New Era) are remaining white, so they stand out extra, like they do on the Marlins' black alts. The white outline was probably the best part about the Mets' black alt. I don't anticipate this is going to look good, and at this rate I'd be fine without the black alt in it's entirety.

If the Mets had changed the white trim from a drop shadow to an outline, they would have hit a sartorial home run. This is just another step in MLB's current uniform direction: cheaper and more boring. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:33 AM, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Via Uni Watch, the Yankees road uniforms are changing.

https://uni-watch.com/2024/01/23/exclusive-yankees-planning-changes-to-road-uniform/

spacer.png

Sorry, I just fell asleep for a moment. The Yankee$ have finally gotten what their fans have wanted for a while now: the most boring road kit in MLB. Congratulations. I'm sure the $ you saved on no longer paying for white outlines will be well spent. 

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 6

23 hours ago, LMU said:

Dropping unnecessary outlines and trim on road gray jerseys is always a positive.  See: Dodgers.

JMLBGAGNE-2.jpg?v-cache=1654685683

1342345440.jpg

I'm sure it will come as a shock to no one that I 100% disagree with you on which of those two is the better jersey...although the new Nike template would have wrecked the headspoon. I wonder if the "n" is gonna get split?

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, M59 said:

Sorry, I just fell asleep for a moment. The Yankee$ have finally gotten what their fans have wanted for a while now: the most boring road kit in MLB. Congratulations. I'm sure the $ you saved on no longer paying for white outlines will be well spent. 

Who’s no longer paying? Nike?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, officeglenn said:

More MLB news from Uni Watch today: MLB’s Last Vest Jersey Is Officially Dead

I never liked the Rockies black vest because it felt pointless with the vest and undershirt being the same color. So this news doesn't bother me other than the fact that it reminds me that I miss vests in general. Probably more of a nostalgia thing because I started watching sports as a kid in the early 2000s, but I just love them.

cflyga9tf0171.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Texas Rangers Uniforms: The Best of the Best and the Worst of the Worst |  Highway To The Ranger Zone

grady.jpg

635605617400044114-aaadbacks16.jpg?width

• Like 13

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I do wonder how much of this change was facilitated by the new Nike template, because their (now) old design would’ve seemingly transferred over just fine.

It definitely looks to be an authentic because of the much thinner placket. It looks like authentics are keeping the more “chubby” thicker Nike swoosh, while the replicas now have a thinner stitched version (which, in my opinion, looks better).

I think the choice to go single color on the lettering drove the choice to remove the sleeve stripes. Having the stripes on the sleeves makes less sense with plain letters since the striping would then be the only white on the jersey. It also jibes with the pre-double look for the Yankees.

My guess is that either the Yankees just really liked the Field of Dreams look or the new lettering favors single layer scripts. The decision on the stripes then proceeded from there.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

It sucks that Nike either cant, or is choosing not to, make heathered fabric that replicates the old flannel look.  That would make the Yankees even better.

As for the Dodgers, this is the best they've looked on the road since being in LA:

betts.webp

This is a factual opinion.  If you disagree with this, your opinion is not only wrong from an aesthetic perspective, but also an arithmetical one.  Just as wrong as if you said that 2+2 = 5.

In this case, 2+2 very much =5! 🤯

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

They should go straight-up Seahawks.  Ecto Cooler green, navy, and silver.  

Their uniforms have always been "nice", but not.... inspiring.  Not special.  Just... nice.  Time for a change.  Time to make some noise.  Time to brighten things up and embrace the scheme that the other outdoor Seattle teams have made nearly standard for the city.

Counterpoint - I wonder what they'd look like in a Kraken-colored scheme.  I think I'd still prefer Seahawks, but Kraken could be cool too.

I do kind of agree. I would not say they've aged badly but I don't think they've quite achieved the modern classiness of the White Sox change at roughly the same time (a bit before, I think). Therefore, while I don't think they need a change, they're definitely not untouchable.

I don't necessarily think then need to emulate the other Seattle teams but I guess I don't see them moving too far away from what's kind of a "Seattle" aesthetic. It feels like Seattle is kind of like a bit of a less-focused Pittsburgh.*

*Though the green and yellow likely to come back in the NBA will take away from that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, M59 said:

And now we know where the weird collar treatment on the Angels pullovers is coming from. IMO, it's official: Nike had the basketball division design the new MLB templates.

2 hours ago, M59 said:

If the Mets had changed the white trim from a drop shadow to an outline, they would have hit a sartorial home run. This is just another step in MLB's current uniform direction: cheaper and more boring. 

2 hours ago, M59 said:

1 hour ago, M59 said:

I'm sure it will come as a shock to no one that I 100% disagree with you on which of those two is the better jersey...although the new Nike template would have wrecked the headspoon. I wonder if the "n" is gonna get split?

1 hour ago, M59 said:

Agree that getting rid of that number font would be an upgrade.

59 minutes ago, M59 said:

In this case, 2+2 very much =5! 🤯

I see we have another contrarian troll on our hands. Welcome!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Maybe they really did get great feedback on the Field of Dreams Game:

081221Yankees105CW.jpg?quality=75&strip=

That jersey was EVERYWHERE at the stadium in '21. My theory is that it was a big seller, and that pushed this. 

Anubis.png

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I see we have another contrarian troll on our hands. Welcome!

Actually, I've been here for years...but when I took some time off, I couldn't get back in under my previous user name (tpoh59). So, while I freely admit to being a contrarian (and someone who believes that jersey design peaked in the late 1990s and has been declining since) I dispute the troll characterization. 😇

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M59 said:

Actually, I've been here for years...but when I took some time off, I couldn't get back in under my previous user name (tpoh59). So, while I freely admit to being a contrarian (and someone who believes that jersey design peaked in the late 1990s and has been declining since) I dispute the troll characterization. 😇

I mean, when one person comments six times in a row, all in snarky disagreement with the consensus opinion, I assume they're trolling.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:12 AM, McCall said:

The white trim and sleeve cuffs were straight out of the 70s

Yeah.  That's why I loved them.  The Yankees uniforms felt like a representation of the team's history and high times.  The home represented the old days of the guys on the monuments and the road greys represented the Bronx Zoo and 90's dynasty.  With pinstripes, I see pastoral grass in the afternoon summer sun and Ballantine.  With the road greys I see bright lights, wild crowds, and Nobody Beats the Wiz.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:17 AM, crashcarson15 said:

New Yankees road threads are basically a tweaked version of what they wore in the Field of Dreams game a few years back, which looked phenomenal, IMO.

It did look really cool for a game harkening back to that time.  Same for the Red Sox 100th Anniversary of Fenway game, but I wouldn't want them to switch to a plain white cap full time.

At least half of the crowd were severely disappointed with the Astros new set for being old-looking and lifeless.  For years as Cleveland tried to bury their old identity and go early days in their uniforms, I felt the same way.  Single-line dark colors just feel old to me, not retro.  Boston should've never left from their Reverse the Curse grays.  The Dodgers at least have a the red number.

18 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

For the most part, almost all road jerseys should omit white trim, particularly where the white outline is against the gray.

The same can be said for these.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Cubs is slightly less egregious because the white is so thin.

spacer.png

However, there is no denying this is immensely better.

spacer.png

The lack of white outline makes these designs look much more retro. They are timeless in their style, whereas the white outlines seems like a feature from a bygone era. There are no contrast issues with dark text on light gray, so I’d argue there was zero reason to add the white outlines in the first place.

I'd mentioned above that I feel that the lack of an outline seems much more "of a bygone era"  The Cubs isn't a bad move considering the bright red outline would have the same effect.  Detroit doesn't have white elsewhere on their uniform (the Meijer logo, I imagine, would also be changed) and orange is a nice outline.

But I wouldn't want to see the White Sox, Angels, and Reds to lose their outlines.  Definitely not the Phillies, which were mentioned earlier, with their outline keeping consistency with their logos and home uni.

12 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

You can tell it’s the new template and not the Field of Dreams because of the extra collar trim, batterman below the headspoon seam, and the letters are slightly taller than the FOD set. I’m loving the simplicity. Long overdue.

I'm glad they're at least going with the modernized lettering, which is a major part of the team's identity.  It evokes something... I'm not sure what.  "Art Deco" is the first thing that comes to mind, and the only, but I don't think that's the right word.  It feels uniquely of the team and city.

21 hours ago, LMU said:

The Mariners are a team that has a brand that had the potential of being absolutely timeless but they can't stop tweaking it.  All they have to do is rewind the changes to the Griffey era (with the compass on the road wordmark) and call it a day.

Griffey_Ken%20Jr_657-2015_Bat_NBL_4.jpg

eh3iwyov6lthyqxs6i9b

These pictures really show why I love the new version with the extra outline so much more.  The navy and green bled into a dreary mess.  The current wordmarks are brighter, stand out more, and you can see all the colors.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png