MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

So when do we expect these to drop? Need to pick up the low crown Braves cap.

Couple more teams in the new threads. If they aren’t posted below, they’ve either already been shown in this thread, haven’t posted good photos to their team’s socials, or haven’t reported to camp yet.

Rangers perforated numbers confirmed

Edit - looks like perforated numbers for the A’s and (very) hard to see but also for the White Sox. Cubs appear to have regular numbers.

Giants

Perforated numbers for the Brewers confirmed.

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1

Are the sleeve patches smaller now, or am I seeing things and just thrown by all the other changes?

The front numbers on the White Sox' black jerseys now legitimately look like the lower-end knockoffs of the last decade and change. Always easy to spot because the white and gray layers of the numerals are too thin.

The irony of the Athletics' uniforms somehow coming out relatively unscathed through this.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Hrm...  I can see them not wanting to feature the pinstripes on the road, but having a grey alt cap only to have a bright white logo?  I'd had rather they gone grey crown with navy brim, button, and logo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, illini1 said:

No chainstitching on the Cardinals new jerseys either. It looks like Fanatics got rid of it. 

Wrong

And Fanatics, as crappy of a company as they are, only produces what Nike tells them to make. Nothing has changed from that arrangement seeing as how Fanatics bought out Majestic years ago and Nike was using Majestic materials until now. Nike sends Fanatics the specs and all they do is manufacture the product.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Wrong

And Fanatics, as crappy of a company as they are, only produces what Nike tells them to make. Nothing has changed from that arrangement seeing as how Fanatics bought out Majestic years ago and Nike was using Majestic materials until now. Nike sends Fanatics the specs and all they do is manufacture the product.

It doesn’t look the same to me. It says “kept the stitching style”. It doesn’t say it’s chainstitching. I think they might have come up with a way to mimic it. 

I hope I’m wrong. 

4 hours ago, illini1 said:

It doesn’t look the same to me. It says “kept the stitching style”. It doesn’t say it’s chainstitching. I think they might have come up with a way to mimic it. 

I hope I’m wrong. 

you might be right.

7 hours ago, illini1 said:

I hope I’m wrong. 

Cardinals’ president Bill DeWitt provided comments to Uniwatch in a December 2023 column:

His response had a mix of good news and bad news: “We are maintaining the chain-stitching next year with the new Nike template — I had to fight hard to keep it. But the compromise was that it will need to be applied to a patch, which will then be applied to the uniform.”

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

48 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Cardinals’ president Bill DeWitt provided comments to Uniwatch in a December 2023 column:

His response had a mix of good news and bad news: “We are maintaining the chain-stitching next year with the new Nike template — I had to fight hard to keep it. But the compromise was that it will need to be applied to a patch, which will then be applied to the uniform.”

Uni Watch has a good write up on the differences in the stitching. 

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/13/breaking-our-first-look-at-the-cardinals-new-jersey-script/

As much as we all hate changes, the new stitching looks really good IMO. I want to hate it because of all of the other issues with these new jerseys, but it looks sharp. 

I still don't understand why all these corners need to be cut. I know nothing about jersey manufacturing other than what I have learned from this board. But in my eyes, if you are making uniforms for the best baseball league in the world, I wouldn't think you would have to cut corners on the manufacturing end. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Seems to me something happened between then and now. 

For as much money mlb, nike racks in, there is no excuse for this.

20 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

Seems to me something happened between then and now. 

For as much money mlb, nike racks in, there is no excuse for this.

DeWitt is describing what we’re seeing on the jerseys today…chainstitching on a patch.

I agree that MLB and Nike should not be CFCSing jersey templates

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, illini1 said:

I hope I’m wrong. 

You are. It is pretty clearly chainstitching on a patch that's on the jersey.

Biggest things I'm seeing as issues with the new template:

- Batterman logo is lower, meaning names and numbers are shrunk. I said this before, and others have said it, shrink the batterman by like 15% and move it back up. This would then fix the names and numbers.

- I don't mind some of the cuffs moving, but it seems counter productive if some were already set and now changed.

- Pants stripping changes (i.e. loops) seem weird. Is it because the pants cut has changed too?

- The front of the jerseys where teams have scripts are going to be wonky. Teams should have adjusted or shrunk the word mark so we don't get what happened with the Dodgers script. 

- Overall, even just looking at pictures, there's something about the material that just looks cheap. But I can't put a finger down as to why.

8 hours ago, illini1 said:

I hope I’m wrong. 

It's not the same style, but it's still chainstitching.  The Phillies (who's has always been on a patch) switched from the Cardinals former style to the Cardinals new style in 2019.  I think the old style looked better, but either way, it counts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm starting to think that Nike made wordmarks, numbers and names smaller on the jerseys because they are most likely leaning more towards form fitting jerseys in the future like they have with the NBA and NFL. I think the issue is that players might be wearing larger sizes out of habit right now and we'll see that change over time.

bSLCtu2.png

10 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like the White Sox and Giants are recycling 2023 pants. (Can't imagine they're going to be able to avoid the template versions in the regular season.)

I've seen no comment on the material specs of the new BP caps, which is weird. I feel like usually they make a big deal about the new fabric, plastic logos, all that. 

That being said, two days before it leaked I was telling my father that I missed the old sunglass elephant logo. Weird that they dropped the sun, but I'll be buying one (and a Phanatic cap, obviously). 

One player compares the jersey to toilet paper, but in a complimentary fashion, if you wanted to find a new peak of damning with faint praise.

I think the pants may be a bigger issue than the jerseys from a player perspective, which obviously doesn't have an impact on fans but is clearly an indictment on a brand and manufacturer that has previously told teams "We can only make you four jerseys." You're a million-dollar employee of a billion-dollar company, you're required to wear a uniform for your physical job, and now your employer is telling you your work pants can no longer be made in a size that fits you correctly and helps you do your job well. That's a legitimate job gripe, not an aesthetic nitpick.

• Like 10
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.