MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

Went to the Rays’ City Connect debut game last night.  Unfortunately my hat didn’t arrive in time despite me ordering it the day of the unveiling.

Anyway, we sat in the lower level the sections behind home plate.  All you could see were the names; the numbers were just as hard to read as you’d expect.  

I still love the “Skyray” and pelican logos, as well as the color scheme.  I’m kind of hoping they rebrand and adopt that, but with improved wordmark and uniforms.

• Like 3

Can hardly make out the number in this photo, which is from way closer than the seats are.   They could definitely have made the outline thicker.

Rays-CC8.jpg

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Can hardly make out the number in this photo, which is from way closer than the seats are.   They could definitely have made the outline thicker.

Rays-CC8.jpg

do you need glasses bc i can see its a two just fine

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

do you need glasses bc i can see its a two just fine

During a game broadcast the numbers will disappear when the players are running. Fortunately baseball is easier to track without numbers than other sports. 

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

During a game broadcast the numbers will disappear when the players are running. Fortunately baseball is easier to track without numbers than other sports. 

I would think the crown would go to basketball.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I would think the crown would go to basketball.

I've never seen a misdirection play in baseball.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I've never seen a misdirection play in baseball.

Ah.  I thought we were speaking from a spectator point of view.  Knowing which guy of various size and appearance who's wearing a tank top and shorts seemed easiest for keeping track of who's who.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Baseball's the only sport(imo) that you could argue that they dont even need numbers on the jersey.

Of course, they're here to stay. As they should be. But you can get away without them.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Rays-CC8.jpg

I'm not sure a thicker outline would have been enough, especially with that font. They should have made the whole number (and wordmark) the gradient.

• Like 7

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Ah.  I thought we were speaking from a spectator point of view.  Knowing which guy of various size and appearance who's wearing a tank top and shorts seemed easiest for keeping track of who's who.

I was speaking spectator. Offensively, you go 'station to station'. Defensively, there's no screens to escape.  Believe me, when there's a crash of bodies under the boards for a rebound, it isn't easy to know who is supposed to get credit for the rebound (speaking as a part-time statistician for a D-1 program).

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Rays-CC-Cap.jpg

This should absolutely be the Rays primary logo going forward. The current TB primary logo is weak and lacks any character or resonance at all. 

SkyRay is the perfect way to represent the Tampa Bay region and the Rays all in one phenomenal hat logo. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
NYCdog.png

the fact that they let every player wear 42 tells you how critical the league feels that uni numbers are in baseball.  I'd imagine announcers feel differently.

As a fan, i like numbers when I'm trying to see who's warming up in the bullpen, or when there's jabronis at the end of the bench that are coming in and I either miss the announcement or am otherwise distracted.  They're not 100% necessary, but I'm glad they exist.

I also never thought I'd miss the Phillies sleeve numbers until they took them away, mostly for the same reasons.  Not critical, but nice to have.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

Braves finally breaking out the navy alts. Doesn’t look like any changes were made

The piping on the jersey is now red instead of white.