2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

21 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Quoting myself because I have no shame.
According to Smith in an interview today, the name contest has been whittled to a final four. Mammoth and Yeti are among those 4.

I am sure it will come down to Mammoth, Yeti, Blizzard and Outlaws.

I won't lie, not much of a fan of either four.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

18 minutes ago, kolob said:

I could get behind Mammoths or Yetis but using the non-s versions of the words is so confusing to me. Outlaws isn't terrible but I'm really hoping for purple and ice blue as a color scheme so I'd rather not.

• Like 8

the user formerly known as cdclt

43 minutes ago, sky1324 said:

I could get behind Mammoths or Yetis but using the non-s versions of the words is so confusing to me. Outlaws isn't terrible but I'm really hoping for purple and ice blue as a color scheme so I'd rather not.

Yep. Kraken works because it’s usually a singular giant monster with tentacles. But seeing Kraken vs Yeti on the ESPN bottom line is cringe inducing. 

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, sky1324 said:

We can thank Colorado for setting the singular name precedent, and the Kraken for being a recent branding success story. Going from Avalanche to Avalanches adds another syllable to the name, so I can see why they thought it sounded better, but pluralizing Mammoth or Yeti doesn't change how it rolls off the tongue.

47 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

We can thank Colorado for setting the singular name precedent...

EHHH---we can thank the Tampa Bay Lightning for setting that precedent. The Avalanche just slid down the same slope...

(Really we can all thank the 1987 NBA expansion for all this--but that's neither here nor there.)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Lightning is a mass noun, like "furniture." Good test: does it take "amount of" or "number of"?

Kraken actually is a true singular, which is why I think it's offputting in a way that even Heat and Lightning aren't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I never really liked the Coyotes because I always thought there would be so many potential franchises that would be better for the league (Houston Aeros, Quebec Nordiques, etc.) 

But the Coytotes and their Kachina identity are SO much better than what Utah is about to come up with.

• Like 1

This is where I whack people with a pool noodle for not using the correct baseball singulars of "White Sock" and "Red Sock." 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, sky1324 said:

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Yep. Kraken works because it’s usually a singular giant monster with tentacles. But seeing Kraken vs Yeti on the ESPN bottom line is cringe inducing. 

But just Yeti should work too then right? Since it’s just THE Yeti that’s the myth? 

I think that’s why Utah Yeti works for me. They can be the Yeti, and one guy can still be a Yeti. Mammoth is weird tho. Mammoths would be so much more appropriate. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

How about they make it Yetii, then? 😁

• LOL 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

EHHH---we can thank the Tampa Bay Lightning for setting that precedent. The Avalanche just slid down the same slope...

(Really we can all thank the 1987 NBA expansion for all this--but that's neither here nor there.)

The WFL was littered with singular names back in the mid 70s. Chicago Fire, Jacksonville Express, Philadelphia Bell, Portland Storm/Thunder, Southern California Sun, and candidate for worst sports name of all time... Shreveport Steamer.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, burgundy said:

The WFL was littered with singular names back in the mid 70s. Chicago Fire, Jacksonville Express, Philadelphia Bell, Portland Storm/Thunder, Southern California Sun, and candidate for worst sports name of all time... Shreveport Steamer.

Time out...what???

• LOL 4

Second round of voting should be switching plural and singular just for funsies.

Blizzards, Yetis, Mammoths, Black Diamond, Furies, Outlaw, Venoms, Ices, Freezes, Glacier, Blasts, Canyon, Caribous, Frosts, Mountaineer, Hives, Squalls, Powders, Swarms, or Hockeys Club. The list is just as good, if not better.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, eRay said:

Second round of voting should be switching plural and singular just for funsies.

Blizzards, Yetis, Mammoths, Black Diamond, Furies, Outlaw, Venoms, Ices, Freezes, Glacier, Blasts, Canyon, Caribous, Frosts, Mountaineer, Hives, Squalls, Powders, Swarms, or Hockeys Club. The list is just as good, if not better.

This one makes my skin crawl

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

And the Colorado Avalanche is just “Avs” to most folks (“Av” referring to singular players).

If they go with Yeti, I'm nicknaming them the "Yeets" -- it's what the cool kids do, right?

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

16 hours ago, kolob said:

how the hell do you make an "outlaws" logo??

guess you can't use old six shooters like the Houston  colt 45's.... would be sweet though.

spacer.png

Utah Yeti works for me just because of the way the two words compliment each other. It's such a unique combination of letters and they balance nicely. There's a story there and its kind of fun to say. I don't know - it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice (I'd probably go with something a little more traditional sounding), but I'd also be fine if that's what they end up going with.

Utah Mammoth is also cool to me. A hockey team being called Mammoth has a lot of great potential. It sounds big and powerful which is synonymous with physical hockey. It's easy to say, 'the Mammoth' and it's also very unique.

For me, both of them work so much better as a singular than they do with an s on the end. Mammoths suddenly makes it sound like you have a lisp and its not as clean of a word. Yetis is not as bad, but Yeti is just better in my opinion. The same way that Kraken is better than Krakens. 

• Like 3

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.