2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

4 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Light blue and black worries me that they're leaning Yeti(s). So lame.

They been leaning that way*. All the rest of this is just "formalities". The only possible change of mind for Smitty n' em would be to Mammoth[s].

However, I will allow for the fact that Doubleday & Cartwright may already be in dude's ear about the name and brand, so there's that. 

*That's been my position ever since they started this thing...

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 5/31/2024 at 2:11 PM, adsarebad said:

Feel like the Avs should have the Yeti name for themselves, they had the awesome yeti footprint on the shoulders....... remember that one?

before they replaced with that garbage logo they have now. 

looks like a curling team logo.

The footprint stopped making sense once Howler was gone as the mascot for the Avs. 

The reality is, the Avs had a great patch in the waiting wings to replace the foot, and it comes from the oddest thing imaginable: 

spacer.png

Bernie had a special version of the "foot" made using a dog pawpad when he was introduced in 2009. Given the usage of St. Bernard's as rescue dogs, especially during Avalanches, this was a great route to go, and it looks great on the shoulders! I wish someone could make a good flat PNG of it for usage in a concept design. 

Also, the new Winter Classic logo is nice. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Sad 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Non-hockey fan here; grew up near Pittsburgh so the last time I watched religiously was when Mario & Jagr were winning cups.

The Utah Yetis is a cool enough name to make me want to be a fan on that alone.  Light Blue, Black and White is always a good color scheme.  I like it.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

The logo makes me think Yeti is going to be the winner. I wish it was purple because of the over abundance of blue clad teams in the league.

But, I can live with the light blue. And, I don’t think this official marries the team to the color in the future (hopefully)?

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/31/2024 at 6:25 PM, Haz_Matt said:

So, 4 states that surround Utah in 3/4 of the directions all fit the outlaw imagery but not the one in the center of them....👌

spacer.png

No, that makes sense. But, I guess what I’m trying to say is — historically speaking “outlaws” wouldn’t be one the first things that come to mind for Utah compared to the states I referenced.

The imagery of the west was won in this lawless — sheriff vs. outlaws — kind of way doesn’t really fit Utah in general when you understand how orderly most settlements were established (most were missions under the direction of Brigham Young). 

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

15 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The footprint stopped making sense once Howler was gone as the mascot for the Avs. 

The reality is, the Avs had a great patch in the waiting wings to replace the foot, and it comes from the oddest thing imaginable: 

spacer.png

Bernie had a special version of the "foot" made using a dog pawpad when he was introduced in 2009. Given the usage of St. Bernard's as rescue dogs, especially during Avalanches, this was a great route to go, and it looks great on the shoulders! I wish someone could make a good flat PNG of it for usage in a concept design. 

Also, the new Winter Classic logo is nice. 

FU Linda !! 

Bring Howler back.... he dindu McMuffin!!

I was the end of Howler

also, i agree with you on Bernie, he is okay, and his paws should be on the jersey if howler's can't!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, kolob said:

No, that makes sense. But, I guess what I’m trying to say is — historically speaking “outlaws” wouldn’t be one the first things that come to mind for Utah compared to the states I referenced.

The imagery of the west was won in this lawless — sheriff vs. outlaws — kind of way doesn’t really fit Utah in general when you understand how orderly most settlements were established (most were missions under the direction of Brigham Young). 

First, do we really want to get into what constituted orderly in frontier era Salt Lake? ("IT is a luscious country for thrilling evening stories about assassinations of intractable Gentiles...how heedless people often come to Utah and make remarks about Brigham, or polygamy, or some other sacred matter, and the very next morning at daylight such parties are sure to be found lying up some back alley, contentedly waiting for the hearse. - Mark Twain)

Second, you're right in that in Utah 'outlaws' doesn't carry the same imagery as it would in Tombstone or Dodge City. Leaving aside Porter Rockwell and the Avenging Angels (whom many here would not consider outlaws), our association with outlaw imagery is really a turn of the century/end of the Wild West affair. Less about gun fights and showdowns with lawmen, more about banditry and train robbery. So fewer cowboy hats, more vests and bowlers. I would hope any branding firm would lean hard into that turn of the century iconography rather than a generic "yee-haw" brand.

Also, so long as no one has claimed it, we get to sing this before the third period.

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

33 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Between this and Ryan Smith already threatening to move the team out of SLC proper before a single game has been played, the NHL somehow managed to replace the Coyotes with an even more dysfunctional clownshow. OITGDNHL.

Ed and Lorraine Warren wish they could've found an artifact as cursed as the Jets/Coyotes/Utah franchise.

• LOL 1

The NHL is sure taking its sweet time creating a Utah NHL website and social media channels. We're only three months away from Utah playing its first pre-season game, and just weeks away from when teams hold parties for the draft. I have zero idea why they don't have any of this stuff up and running.

image.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

The NHL is sure taking its sweet time creating a Utah NHL website and social media channels. We're only three months away from Utah playing its first pre-season game, and just weeks away from when teams hold parties for the draft. I have zero idea why they don't have any of this stuff up and running.

image.png

Because they still exist as the Arizona Coyotes for the duration of the 2023-24 NHL season, which has not completed yet.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, McCall said:

Because they still exist as the Arizona Coyotes for the duration of the 2023-24 NHL season, which has not completed yet.

Is there a source or a set rule you can point to?

• LOL 1

44 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

Is there a source or a set rule you can point to?

Most defunct team imagery tends to linger until the end of the season or the league's fiscal year (which in the NHL's case would be June 30, I think). An exception would be the Los Angeles Rams, who between them and the NFL scrubbed St. Louis off the team real quick.

Here's nhl.com's team listing for 6/11/2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20110611010122/http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_teams.htm

As you can see, the Thrashers are still on the list. Poking around thrashers.nhl.com on the Wayback, it looks like the team site stayed up through June '11, and then for July became a redirect to a page on the Philips Arena site about how you can get a refund for your season tickets. So there you go.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Saw this Yeti concept, l like the paw holding the state logo, colors are decent too

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7XDBLGAepH/?igsh=MWs3NHdoZDRlYjBieA==

That looks great.  Bonus points if that's intended to be a metallic shade of Copper.

The mountain scene on the paw could use some simplification but that's the only nitpick I have.