2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

Total swing and a miss for the Ducks.  This orange is way too loud and mismatched. 

They went from super drab to way too bright.   Huge over correction.  

The number font is ugly and overly complicated.  

All orange equipment is unnecessary and black pants would look so much better.  

Just such a poorly designed uniform for them. 

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 3

On 9/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, YelichGraphics said:

I'll say something I know will be controversial...

I don't mind these. They aren't huge, they are relatively neutral colored and don't disrupt the uniform from doing what it is intended to do.

Ads become an issue with me when they are so adversely out of the color scheme of the team, too large, or crowd the uniform in the case of the Capitals who do not have the real estate for the anniversary patch, ad, and captain patch.

Like it or not, jersey ads are not going anywhere so complaining after every single one will not do anything. If they are small, take the win when you can get it.

I get the argument of not complaining about every ad because it's such a tired discussion that gets more and more pointless every time they introduce a new one. But that doesn't make us obligated to "take the win" on anything regarding uniform advertisements. There's no winning here. Would it be worse if it contrasted as badly as the Flyers' blue patch or the Canucks' green patch? Absolutely. But that doesn't make it a good thing.

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Total swing and a miss for the Ducks.  This orange is way too loud and mismatched. 

They went from super drab to way too bright.   Huge over correction.  

The number font is ugly and overly complicated.  

All orange equipment is unnecessary and black pants would look so much better.  

Just such a poorly designed uniform for them. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

sig.png

You generally see less of this now, as there are way more design firms that specialize in sports aesthetic who understand everything. But this Ducks rebrand, you can just tell everyone involved completely overthought everything. If they just did this, it would been more than fine.

What is a horse designed by committee? A donkey.

spacer.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

You generally see less of this now, as there are way more design firms that specialize in sports aesthetic who understand everything. But this Ducks rebrand, you can just tell everyone involved completely overthought everything. If they just did this, it would been more than fine.

spacer.png

This is much better than what they actually did but the color scheme is still ugly

These aren't looking so bad  these days relatively speaking

kpipgr-18ducks3large.jpg?w=535

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Hurl 1
  • Huh? 3
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

This is much better than what they actually did but the color scheme is still ugly

Gotta disagree with this statement.  Those uniforms are beyond drab and the script was never strong enough to serve as a primary logo.  Even though the new uniforms have their flaws (orange equipment, yoke on the road, one too many strokes around the triangle), I vastly prefer them to this look.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

Just now, Klondyke said:

spacer.png

black numbers and no yoke make these 100x better, other details notwithstanding. i would argue this is the best they've ever looked in the orange and gold.

you fix those issues on the new ones and either fix the kerning on the numbers or make them bolder, and they have more positives than negatives. as it stands, they are mostly better than anything they've been wearing the past 15+ years, but far from perfect

8 hours ago, Klondyke said:

spacer.png

Those are a million times better than the current redesign but orange and drab beige will always be inferior to eggplant and jade and that's just an objective fact

• Like 1

This will be unpopular but I personally love the new numbers.  They're creative, fun and have a nice tie in with the region. 

They're certainly better than the ones they've used for the past 15 years... Those looked dated the second they were unveiled.

• Like 9
  • Dislike 3

I think the design for the Ducks looks great. Fantastic updated logos and a not half bad number font, (although that kerning is a little odd.) but there’s definitely some odd inconsistencies that keep it from being super great. That’s mostly the fabric color mismatch. The numbers and logos seem to be way brighter than the jersey fabrics and that’s kinda odd.

The orange I can kind of understand, considering that it’s hard to not make tackle twill look a little shiny in some lighting, but the gold on the sweaters should have been the shiny gold like the Knights or Kings silver. And it’s not like that was only an Adidas thing, because the Knights and Kings both still use it. 

Overall it’s a great direction for the Ducks, and emphasizing orange was a great choice, even if it’s unpopular here. Some color mismatch on non-black and white equipment is to be expected, as a lot of teams actually have that. The Avs blue gear, or even the Wild’s gear can be off depending on the brand. I’d guess it’ll be slightly off, but not enough for anyone outside of here to notice. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

As a fan, I'm a fan - but the home is the stronger of the two. My only gripe with this one is the beigegold stripes touching the orange (same problem as the Reverse Retro 2) but also it's barely noticeable in motion so it doesn't bother me that much. I like the orange yoke even though I agree that it probably doesn't need it. And for as much as I've begrudgingly tolerated it over the years I do like how the shiny gold duckfoot D pops on the shoulders.

Overall a much needed, long overdue clean up of the previous set and easily the best they've looked since dumping eggplum and jade.

• Like 2

W133fxD.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

23 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Gotta disagree with this statement.  Those uniforms are beyond drab and the script was never strong enough to serve as a primary logo.  Even though the new uniforms have their flaws (orange equipment, yoke on the road, one too many strokes around the triangle), I vastly prefer them to this look.

I'll take boring and unoffensive over exciting and painful to look at

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 9/14/2024 at 3:20 PM, Aardvark said:

This was a huge victim of the Edge sets because the logo got too small and the stripes never connected as intended. 

I think the Ducks got too ambitious with the whole "Orange County" vibe they were going with. It's the right color but all they have to do is strip away a lot of the details, starting with the orange yokes on the away jersey. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 9/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, Aardvark said:

As someone who almost exclusively saw the Ducks in the white versions of these for the set's entire lifespan, they were not good and so, so drab.

With the Ducks new set, I think the orange shoulders on the white are too much but I do think the differing shades of orange will not be as noticed as we move along (or they'll have black pants within the next couple seasons). The difference also doesn't seem to be as stark when watching the aways on the dumpy camera footage of the rookie tournament nor with the shots of the home jersey.

GWtsGc1WoAAz_JH?format=jpg&name=small

kywhkxb10tmd1.jpeg

The real colour issue for me anyways is the difference between the gold of the logos and the gold of the stripes.

I also do like the number font but I do also know this board definitely skews towards anything other than Varsity Block is bad so I understand that it won't fit everybody.

• Like 3

deK8sJk.png

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

As someone who almost exclusively saw the Ducks in the white versions of these for the set's entire lifespan, they were not good and so, so drab.

With the Ducks new set, I think the orange shoulders on the white are too much but I do think the differing shades of orange will not be as noticed as we move along (or they'll have black pants within the next couple seasons). The difference also doesn't seem to be as stark when watching the aways on the dumpy camera footage of the rookie tournament nor with the shots of the home jersey.

GWtsGc1WoAAz_JH?format=jpg&name=small

kywhkxb10tmd1.jpeg

The real colour issue for me anyways is the difference between the gold of the logos and the gold of the stripes.

I also do like the number font but I do also know this board definitely skews towards anything other than Varsity Block is bad so I understand that it won't fit everybody.

I definitely prefer block, but well-executed custom fonts can be great. It's just when they look bad, they can look really bad.

Some of my favorite custom fonts include:

spacer.png

The Canes' italicized font on their original uniforms

spacer.png

The Preds' guitar strings font

spacer.png

The original Avs font

spacer.png

The Sabres' goathead font

spacer.png

The Kachina font

I'll have to see the new uniforms in actual NHL arenas on actual NHL broadcasts before I fully judge them, but all-orange definitely looks too garish to me right now. If anything, I think the Ducks could've taken a page out of the Blue Jackets' book with separate pants for home and road -- I think the orange pants work well with the road jersey, so I'd keep that setup, but I do think the home uniform needs black pants. Honestly, I'm shocked and it speaks to the restraint in NHL uniform design that 31 of 32 teams wear only one pair of pants with both primary uniforms.

• Like 3
  • Love 1