2024 NFL Offseason

Dynasty

26 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Bears.

If I'm Williams (or is it Williamson), I'm pulling an Eli Manning.  That team has absolutely no idea how to 1) maximize player value, 2) manage the cap in a way that allows for a good surrounding cast, and 3) develop players.  Oh, and 4) figure out a future home.

It may be the worst-run franchise in the league, and this is the icing on the cake.  There was simply no reason to make this deal, and they could have cost themselves a #2 or even more from a desperate team.  They could have worked it out with Fields so that he understands that it's best for hi too.  But they panicked and took whatever they could get.  Like selling a stock after a down day in the market, despite their earnings report and jobs report coming out a week later, and both suggesting there could be a pop.

There's so many dumb teams that it really makes me question how some of these execs even get jobs.  We're way past the point where you need a "football guy" running things.  I feel for Bears and Vikings fans, who seem to really need new ownership and a total paradigm shift in organizational philosophy.  Same with Falcons, who may win 11 games, but still aren't a team that anyone's afraid or or that should be taken seriously.  Same with Broncos, who are a train wreck even outside of the Wilson thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Sure do. He brought the Steelers back from deficits of 24-7 and 33-21 to beat the Browns in the 2002 playoffs. The Steelers scored 22 points in the 4th quarter. I still can't believe the Browns let Tommy :censored:ing Maddox do that, but they did.

never underestimate an XFL alum.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Browns fan here, so permit me to be a bit bias about the Steelers...

They greatly improved their QB squad. However, it's going to be a sheet-show no matter what. Wilson went there thinking he was a shoe-in for the starting position. Steelers went with him because Denver ate the rest of the contract. They boot Pickett to make it obvious who is starting. And now they get Fields?

Wilson is not going to be happy. Fields won't be happy either. Sure, both think they're going to or should be the starter. But how well will they work together in the lockerroom instead of creating factions to support them starting over the other guy. Browns had many times two above average but flawed QBs at the same time where the team as a whole couldn't function because half wanted QBA and other half wanted QBB to start.

You wind up with basically nothing. Players dog it when their guy isn't starting, in-fighting, etc. You need a clear starter. I know you say you are going to have a competition and no one's job is guaranteed, but you have to at least know that's just to avoid complacency by the starter. If you don't know today when trading for Fields whether he's QB1 or QB2 or if the future starter is still in the draft... then you're just throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

In the end, this feels like a Tommy Maddox situation. Remember him? Good, serviceable. Wins some games as long as he's not the weapon needed to win the game. But he can lose some games if you put them in his hands. But he played long enough to get them to Roethlisberger and the rest is history.

Fields isn't their answer. But he might make them get over the hump enough, long enough, that they can work for QB1 in the 2025 or 2026 draft while assembling the rest of the roster around Fields/Wilson and and just plug in the future franchise QB later the way Roethlisberger was installed with the likes of that D, Bettis, Ward, Randle El, etc.

Fields is not an above average QB and the Steelers aren't holding a QB competition. Wilson is the starter

• Like 2

So the quarterback situation in Pittsburgh is a scheisseshow, they just got rid of one of their best receivers and I’m supposed to be surprised when they manage to go 10-7 next year? 

Mike Tomlin can turn sewage into whiskey and a lot more people need to appreciate that.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

So the quarterback situation in Pittsburgh is a scheisseshow, they just got rid of one of their best receivers and I’m supposed to be surprised when they manage to go 10-7 next year? 

Mike Tomlin can turn sewage into whiskey and a lot more people need to appreciate that.

Ehh...the Steelers are basically the Snatit in black and yellow. (Sreleets?? 🤔) Actually, they may have been the Snatit before the Snatit were the Snatit. Credit due to Tomlin for somehow keeping his guys motivated enough to compete and win games they otherwise have no business winning. But I've also watched a lot of that team over the past...well, since he's been there and more importantly the past six or seven years, and I think there's another factor at play:

The Heinz Aceisure Field Mystique is real.

I don't know what it is, but teams go in there, get their feet squarely on the Steele—urm, Sreleets' necks...and for some reason can never seem to close the deal, thus *cue Dennis Green slapping the mic* letting them off the hook. Pittsburgh doesn't even seem to benefit from gift flags as much as they used to, so that's gotta be the only other plausible explanation. That said, this season is gonna be an interesting one for them up there no matter who's quarterbacking (or OC'ing, which has long been another of their longstanding issues). 

All of which is to say: yeah, they'll skirt the borderline of the last wild-card spot...then either watch a team pull its foot off their neck or some other team trip over their own feet elsewhere, either or both of which will keep Pittsburgh right there in the hunt if not drop-kick them into the postseason.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Never thought I would see the day that Jared Goff would be one of the top two QBs in his division.  He had a good 2022, but I didn't think that was sustainable, but he did even better in 2023 so he's due for a major extension.  I never thought that Goff was a terrible QB ever, I just thought he was inconsistent.  He would have a string of good games and then some really bad ones when he played for the Rams.  

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Exactly. Tomlin has made the playoffs with teams that have 5-12 talent. That's not luck or getting all the calls. What's funny is he'll do it again next season and people will be right back here wondering how it happened...again. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Mike Tomlin is a great coach.

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

13 hours ago, tBBP said:

Unless the Steelers really think Russell Wilson can serve as a good mentor to Justin Fields (which they'd have to be about as dumb as the five-way interchange at PA-51 @ Library Rd/88 to think that), don't see how this could possibly help them at all.  

Fields doesn't believe that anyone can teach him anything. When the Bears started 0-4 and were making an early play for Worst NFL Team Of All Time, he said it was because the coaches were coaching him too much. I am deeply interested in seeing what Tomlin's staff will do with that winning mindset. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly. Tomlin has made the playoffs with teams that have 5-12 talent. That's not luck or getting all the calls. What's funny is he'll do it again next season and people will be right back here wondering how it happened...again. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Mike Tomlin is a great coach.

Great coach... or a curse on the organization.  Here me out - if he's constantly going 9-7, 10-7 with 5-12 talent, then it's probably masking their flaws on the personnel side, which is preventing them from making meaningful moves necessary to seriously compete.

That's clearly not a knock on Tomlin, but I think it's fair to say that in the long run, they may be better off without him.

This is in contract to Andy Reid, who built Super Bowl Champion caliber teams, but coached them to multiple home NFC CG losses as a favorite, a SB loss, or just generally short of where they should have been.  That's a case where a Gruden-esque guy should have been brought in to put them over the top.  Kinda the opposite of the Tomlin thing.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Great coach... or a curse on the organization.  Here me out - if he's constantly going 9-7, 10-7 with 5-12 talent, then it's probably masking their flaws on the personnel side, which is preventing them from making meaningful moves necessary to seriously compete.

I'd argue that it's more a matter of the Steelers consistently being stuck in the dreaded middle than it is poor personnel decisions. It's hard to grab elite players when you're always picking in the lower end of the draft. The last time the Steelers had a top ten pick in the draft was 2019. It was pick #10.

I think the Steelers were a decent QB away from being a real problem for everyone in the playoffs last season. Could they have made a Super Bowl run? Who knows, but I know a Mike Tomlin coached team isn't going to wilt in the spotlight when they see Mahomes like other teams usually do. If Tomlin can crack the code with Fields or find a way to resurrect what's left of Wilson, they'll be in the hunt for the AFC North. Again.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

That's clearly not a knock on Tomlin, but I think it's fair to say that in the long run, they may be better off without him.

You're overthinking it. Overachieving doesn't necessarily mean complacency with the roster. As long as the Steelers can accurately judge their own talent and keep improving on what they have, there's no reason to get rid of the coach, and if they can't accurately judge their own talent and keep improving on what they have, then their problems run deeper than the coach. Best to just keep buying the lottery tickets.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yea I would say it’s more a knock on the front office not giving him talent that’s needed vs. Tomlin over achieving giving them a reason not to. You know the Rooneys want to win and just haven’t put the guys in the front office to get that talent. What I find really interesting is how the narrative has shifted from Tomlin not being able to beat teams they should beat and playing down to talent, and underperforming when they had the triple B’s. They should have won atleast an AFC championship with those teams.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Yea I would say it’s more a knock on the front office not giving him talent that’s needed vs. Tomlin over achieving giving them a reason not to. You know the Rooneys want to win and just haven’t put the guys in the front office to get that talent. What I find really interesting is how the narrative has shifted from Tomlin not being able to beat teams they should beat and playing down to talent, and underperforming when they had the triple B’s. They should have won atleast an AFC championship with those teams.

I was just thinking about this. It's actually wild at how talented they were during the 2010's yet had little to show for it. Since that Super Bowl against Green Bay to now, they have just three playoff wins... against AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, and Alex Smith. They really have underachieved and it kind of reminds me of the Saints during that same span. After years of falling short, it just felt like the Brees/Payton era already accomplished what they could and it just had to end. I am wondering if it's the same way for Tomlin and the Steelers. I don't think he can replicate the Super Bowl contending days of the late 2000's, but will he ever sniff the consistent 11-12 win seasons from the past decade?

On 3/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, infrared41 said:

I know it’s a take that’s been done to death, but it’s no wonder the Steelers have been such a mainstay in the NFL when you have back-to-back-to-back Hall of Fame caliber coaches. 3 coaches in 55 years is never going to fail to amaze me. 

• Like 2