2024 NFL Changes

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I think the script will be identical to the old one. The primary logo probably won’t - isn’t there something in NFL bylaws that prohibits returning to an old logo, unaltered? - but the script almost certainly will.

I believe you're thinking of the NBA.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Someone on the Jets subreddit created a version of the logo using the font from the release.

dh0q6yg9ycic1.jpeg

However, the person added serifs/points to the letters that aren't there in the social media graphics.

Should be more italicized. This one looks half done!

7 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Yeah. The kerning feels weird somehow, too.

The elongated horizontal bars in the E and the elongated bottom of the S of the old mark take away a lot of negative space.

The old mark is better IMO

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I will compare these two,

1200px-New_York_Jets_logo_(1978%E2%80%93

The original had more flare and it was more italicized. This one is the logo they use for the legacy helmets. I wish it was on a green background and white lettering instead of reverse, but I got this from The Wiki.

Compared to this half assed job here,

dh0q6yg9ycic1.jpeg

This one that a redditer did was very rushed. They did not do any research to the 1978-1997 logos. They are familiar with the uniform years being 1978-1990 and 1990-1997 which to me is fantastic, but they need to use this font, Serpentine Sans Font | Webfont & Desktop | MyFonts to capture the feel of the logo and play with it on illustrator or just take the original from the PNG file and on photoshop copy most of the lettering and make the copy areas into a path and they have something to work on. But Serpentine Sans is the very close to the actual 1978-1997 logo.

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

The original had more flare and it was more italicized. This one is the logo they use for the legacy helmets. I wish it was on a green background and white lettering instead of reverse, but I got this from The Wiki.

This should be named the new primary. No changes needed. I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again, this logo looks like it could've been released today. Just like the Bills and Miami Hurricanes logo, it's timeless despite being released over 40 years ago.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 2/14/2024 at 4:18 PM, MCM0313 said:

I think the script will be identical to the old one. The primary logo probably won’t - isn’t there something in NFL bylaws that prohibits returning to an old logo, unaltered? - but the script almost certainly will. 

My guess would be that the logo will become the script inside of an oval, which they’ve used in various ways over the course of the past year. 

No that’s the NBA, NFL has no such rule

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MDGP said:

I believe you're thinking of the NBA.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

No that’s the NBA, NFL has no such rule

Glad to see I was mistaken! I guess I kind of thought there was at least an informal prohibition on that sort of thing across the Big 4. (Except NYI in 1997, obviously. The Fisherman was reviled.)

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

The only thing that bugged me about this logo was it dubbed as the Jets' primary logo and script logo.

Having thought more about this…has this been true of any other NFL logo of the Super Bowl era? Maybe the Rams at some point in the ‘90s - or was the helmet always the primary pre-2000? I guess the Big Blue Wrecking Crew-era Giants, but then when they switched to the ny logo, they had the good sense to retain the underlined logo as their wordmark. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:
5 hours ago, Cujo said:

The only thing that bugged me about this logo was it dubbed as the Jets' primary logo and script logo.

Having thought more about this…has this been true of any other NFL logo of the Super Bowl era? Maybe the Rams at some point in the ‘90s - or was the helmet always the primary pre-2000? I guess the Big Blue Wrecking Crew-era Giants, but then when they switched to the ny logo, they had the good sense to retain the underlined logo as their wordmark. 

I wanna say the 95-99 St. Louis Rams used "Rams" with the arch and their primary, and just plain "Rams" without the arch as their script.

The 80s-90s GIANTS even used a plain Impact-type font for their script. Then flipped GIANTS to their script when they went to NY in 2000. So it was never used as both at the same time like the Jets.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I will compare these two,

The original had more flare and it was more italicized. This one is the logo they use for the legacy helmets. I wish it was on a green background and white lettering instead of reverse, but I got this from The Wiki

Did you know there's a huge website with all kinds of sports logos?

I believe the address is www.sportslogos.net. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I wanna say the 95-99 St. Louis Rams used "Rams" with the arch and their primary, and just plain "Rams" without the arch as their script.

The 80s-90s GIANTS even used a plain Impact-type font for their script. Then flipped GIANTS to their script when they went to NY in 2000. So it was never used as both at the same time like the Jets.

Right! How could I forget the Giants’ red end zones with blue team name and white outlines from SB XXI? Simple font without the italics or outlines. That was in their end zones. 

Related, the Jets’ end zones in the ‘80s and ‘90s were disappointingly plain. They just left the field its natural green color rather than painting it and then slapped the logo down in white, IIRC. Hopefully this time around they exercise a bit more creativity with their end zone designs.  

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Right! How could I forget the Giants’ red end zones with blue team name and white outlines from SB XXI? Simple font without the italics or outlines. That was in their end zones. 

Related, the Jets’ end zones in the ‘80s and ‘90s were disappointingly plain. They just left the field its natural green color rather than painting it and then slapped the logo down in white, IIRC. Hopefully this time around they exercise a bit more creativity with their end zone designs.  

Jets endzones were colored dark green in the 80s/90s

Jets Roar Back, Top Giants in OT: 9 Observations

• Like 2
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

What is the purpose of such a rule?

spacer.png

The team can double-dip. They get sales with all the new stuff with the new updated logo, while still selling throwback merchandise with the old logo. And in a few years, they can add throwback merchandise with the middle logo they just got rid of.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

For what it's worth back in the 90s there was some application of the Jets logo on a green oval of some sort here and there, mainly in video games like NFL Quarterback 98

h8VFTwS.png

Ah, NFL QB Club ‘98, the game where Marv Albert was the in-game commentator despite his legal issues at the time and any free agent you signed would eventually become M. Clark #84.

Edited by DustDevil61
Clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

And in a few years, they can add throwback merchandise with the middle logo they just got rid of.

Guaranteed we get these in by the end of the 2020s.

628d65956a2ec.image.jpg?resize=750,500

gettyimages-497905.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

875a741718d6d73ba594c053d0dabe2a

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

For what it's worth back in the 90s there was some application of the Jets logo on a green oval of some sort here and there, mainly in video games like NFL Quarterback 98

h8VFTwS.png

Weird video game Jets fact: the original NFL Blitz had the green and black look when it came out in Arcades in 1997.

BfgX6Xk.png

The Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1 versions of the game came out at the exact same time in September 1998 and by that point the Jets had gotten new logos and uniforms but somehow ONLY the Playstation 1 version had the new look and a crude last second helmet graphic.

2ggqCIb.png

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png