2024 NFL Changes

19 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Broncos mismatching blues:

”Eh, it’s whatever. Throwbacks are neat.”

Cowboys mismatching blues:

”What the :censored: am I looking at and why is it giving me a stroke?”

That sums up the Denver Broncos throwback post here. Thank you so much.

19 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

You’ll never guess which team won a “Best NFL Uniform” vote

Hide contents

GZfE-IDaAAQD-Z_?format=jpg&name=large

Right, because we are not the target audience of whatever poll they're running

• Like 3

On 10/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, HopewellJones said:

This conversation leads me to declare once again that I hate the new Broncos set with an absolute burning passion. It genuinely upsets me.

Why though? Cause you’re holding on to the Broncos throwback aesthetic so tightly? Throwbacks are nice, but most team uniforms from that era used the exact same template but with different colors and logos applied! lol. Not much creativity being utilized . Seriously! Objectively, the design of the Broncos new uniforms are executed well and they’re unique. You may not like them personally or are what you expected them to be, but that doesn’t make them bad uniforms.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, BroncoBilly said:

Why though? Cause you’re holding on to the Broncos throwback aesthetic so tightly? Throwbacks are nice, but most team uniforms from that era used the exact same template but with different colors and logos applied! lol. Not much creativity being utilized . Seriously! Objectively, the design of the Broncos new uniforms are executed well and they’re unique. You may not like them personally or are what you expected them to be, but that doesn’t make them bad uniforms.

Your critique about every uniform being nearly identical is fair, but I do think there is a nostalgia thing to it. There is also the point the colors for retro jerseys are often more vibrant. 

For me, the the Bronco's Elway/Manning template was my fav jersey for a while because it was so different. Sad it never really translated well to the newer Nike jerseys. Which is weird, as the design was first done by Nike in the 90's

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1

14 hours ago, BroncoBilly said:

Objectively, the design of the Broncos new uniforms are executed well and they’re unique. You may not like them personally or are what you expected them to be, but that doesn’t make them bad uniforms.

That's fair to feel that the current uniforms are superior, but no opinion on this board is "objectively" correct.

Also, I'll push back on that point that they're executed well.

- Bizarre half stripes on the pants

- What I assume to be a mountain pattern on the sleeves that instead almost looks like lightning bolts

- Space on the shoulders for TV numbers that are inexplicably missing

- The helmet "stripes" made up of a bunch of different triangles (??)

- A pointless white helmet that will be worn exclusively with the navy jersey for some reason

- A slightly inferior version of the previous number font (which I wasn't crazy about either)

- The color scheme (I just plain don't like it, and I honestly would've been willing to overlook a lot of my above concerns if this design was rendered in vibrant royal/robin's egg blue)

They're definitely creative, but I think they're a swing and a miss. Unique =/= good design. I can respect that Denver took that swing, but I think that when the five year cycle is up, they should take a look and see that what they have just doesn't work. And yes, use the throwback as inspiration for their next uniform.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, BroncoBilly said:

Repeat after me - unique does not equal good. The Jaguar two-toned helmet was unique. It sucked. The Buccaneers alarm clock numbers were unique. They sucked.

If your point is that being different is what you think makes a successful design, then your opinion is yours, but it won't be shared by everyone.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

It's where I sit.

20 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Repeat after me - unique does not equal good. The Jaguar two-toned helmet was unique. It sucked. The Buccaneers alarm clock numbers were unique. They sucked.

If your point is that being different is what you think makes a successful design, then your opinion is yours, but it won't be shared by everyone.

Pepperidge Farm remembers when uniform redesigns were mostly accepted without much bellyaching. Maybe that's because designers had better taste? Who knows, but the following redesigns were not slammed as terrible when they came out, likely because they still had current design elements like pants stripes, TV ##s, and no side stripes on the jerseys:

Rams 1973

Chargers 1974 & 1988

Oilers 1972 & 1975

Jets 1978

Bengals 1981 (some people didn't like all the stripes, but most of them shut up after the team went to the Superb Owl that year)

Falcons 1990

Patriots 1993/1994/2000

Eagles 1996

49ers 1996/1998

Jets 1998

Chargers 2007

Things started to get a little strange after that however...and all of the following except two have since been undone:

Patriots 1995 (ginormous Flying Elvis logo on shoulders, soccer club striping on jerseys)

Dolphins 1997 (unnecessary 3D drop shadow on ##s)

Broncos 1997 (underarm stripes, but they won the Superb Owl at least)

Rams 2000 (mostly traditional, but started the trend of removing stripes from pants)

Seahawks 2002 (mostly traditional, but started the trend of mono-dark at home and mono-white on the road)

Bills 2002 (let's cram in everything: navy blue, underarm stripes, solid color shoulders on white jersey, 7 pants stripes)

Falcons 2003 (piping)

Cardinals 2005 (also piping)

Jaguars 2009 (Aquafresh stripes)

Jaguars 2013 (don't even get me started...)

Buccaneers 2014 (PLEASE STOP)

Browns 2015 (BROWNS on pants stripes, "blue collar man"-themed denim striping, etc.)

Jets 2019 (jersey 'swooshes')

Jaguars 2019 (overly-simplistic unis, still hanging around)

Titans 2018 (still hanging around)

Rams 2020 (Fruit Rollup ##s, "bone" unis, shading...but still around)

I suspect the Broncos and Texans will modify theirs some after 5 years, and hopefully the Cardinals and Jaguars will make their unis a little more exciting at least. I agree that unique doesn't always mean better...if it did, most of those terrible unis would still be around.

7 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Seahawks 2002 (mostly traditional, but started the trend of mono-dark at home and mono-white on the road)

Mono-white on the road was a pretty common/popular thing prior to the 2002 Seahawks. 

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Mono-white on the road was a pretty common/popular thing prior to the 2002 Seahawks. 

True. The 2002-11 set mostly set the trend for mono-dark. Funny thing is, it was introduced as Pacific blue (or whatever they called it) over white at home and white over Pacific blue on the road. Then at some point they started going mono, but they still had contrasting socks (navy). 

Buffalo’s 2002-10 set was also introduced non-monochrome but quickly became monochrome…but that one was a trainwreck altogether, regardless of combinations. 

• Like 4

Template was basically the same for all teams up until mid-late 90s, but materials differed, and team shoulders/sleeves had either 1) numbers/nothing, 2) logo/numbers, 3) stripes/numbers, or the weird case of the Cardinals that did both logo and stripes on the sleeves. And the Rams, which were unique. 

I don’t think there was much other variety, besides if the teams had cuff or neck trim. 

But despite template similarities, the teams still mostly managed to maintain their own looks and weren’t ever confused for one another. 

IIRC, up until the mid 90s with the double-star uniforms and giant Elvis ones, logos hadn’t appeared above numbers (maybe the cowboys did it back in the day, but that was it). 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Template was basically the same for all teams up until mid-late 90s, but materials differed, and team shoulders/sleeves had either 1) numbers/nothing, 2) logo/numbers, 3) stripes/numbers, or the weird case of the Cardinals that did both logo and stripes on the sleeves. And the Rams, which were unique. 

I don’t think there was much other variety, besides if the teams had cuff or neck trim. 

But despite template similarities, the teams still mostly managed to maintain their own looks and weren’t ever confused for one another. 

When you put it this way, it's kind of remarkable that from the AFL merger to the '95 expansion, the NFL was actually more conservative in its presentation than Major League Baseball. That period of baseball was full of experiments, mostly failed, I would say right up to the Reds wearing white pinstriped hats. The wraparound totem-pole stripes for the Seahawks were about as wild as the NFL got in that time, and even that was tempered by cheap single-layer numbers on what was otherwise a Lions uniform. The Buccaneers' creamsicle orange was a bold statement at the same time that the Pirates were wearing pillbox caps and trimmed pinstripes in sort of an off-yellow deli-mustard color, or that a bunch of teams were wearing powder-blue shirts and pants. The St. Louis Football Cardinals barely had a cohesive brand package if they did at all.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seahawks looked great last night, but I fear if they went to that full-time, it would get old again quickly. 

I'm 100% on board with a full-time change to the Throwback uniform set...but with the current colors & logo.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d say current logo only - the colors are the most appealing part of the throwback.

I agree, but I'd be curious to see the design applied with the navy/neon green. I was surprised by how much I liked how the Wolves applied that same color scheme to their throwbacks last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree, but I'd be curious to see the design applied with the navy/neon green. I was surprised by how much I liked how the Wolves applied that same color scheme to their throwbacks last year. 

The Wolves' throwbacks weren't navy and neon green though. Royal and a lighter green .

resize,w_800

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/11/2024 at 9:31 AM, PurpleHayes said:

Pepperidge Farm remembers when uniform redesigns were mostly accepted without much bellyaching. Maybe that's because designers had better taste? Who knows, but the following redesigns were not slammed as terrible when they came out, likely because they still had current design elements like pants stripes, TV ##s, and no side stripes on the jerseys:

Rams 1973

Chargers 1974 & 1988

Oilers 1972 & 1975

Jets 1978

Bengals 1981 (some people didn't like all the stripes, but most of them shut up after the team went to the Superb Owl that year)

Falcons 1990

Patriots 1993/1994/2000

Eagles 1996

49ers 1996/1998

Jets 1998

Chargers 2007

Things started to get a little strange after that however...and all of the following except two have since been undone:

Patriots 1995 (ginormous Flying Elvis logo on shoulders, soccer club striping on jerseys)

Dolphins 1997 (unnecessary 3D drop shadow on ##s)

Broncos 1997 (underarm stripes, but they won the Superb Owl at least)

Rams 2000 (mostly traditional, but started the trend of removing stripes from pants)

Bills 2002 (let's cram in everything: navy blue, underarm stripes, solid color shoulders on white jersey, 7 pants stripes)

Falcons 2003 (piping)

Cardinals 2005 (also piping)

Jaguars 2009 (Aquafresh stripes)

Jaguars 2013 (don't even get me started...)

Buccaneers 2014 (PLEASE STOP)

Browns 2015 (BROWNS on pants stripes, "blue collar man"-themed denim striping, etc.)

Jets 2019 (jersey 'swooshes')

Jaguars 2019 (overly-simplistic unis, still hanging around)

Titans 2018 (still hanging around)

Rams 2020 (Fruit Rollup ##s, "bone" unis, shading...but still around)

I suspect the Broncos and Texans will modify theirs some after 5 years, and hopefully the Cardinals and Jaguars will make their unis a little more exciting at least. I agree that unique doesn't always mean better...if it did, most of those terrible unis would still be around.

You missed the 2006 Vikings with piping and panels. And whatever was on the sleeve was supposed to mimic a horn apparently.

FWIW I never hated that uniform and actually kinda liked it at first (I was a teen when they came out) but by the turn of the decade I was ready for a change. Especially after the Nike neck roll collar year, thank God they changed the following year. Definitely my least favorite uniforms in Vikings history.