2024 NFL Changes

On 10/10/2024 at 11:52 PM, BroncoBilly said:

Why though? Cause you’re holding on to the Broncos throwback aesthetic so tightly? Throwbacks are nice, but most team uniforms from that era used the exact same template but with different colors and logos applied! lol. Not much creativity being utilized . Seriously! Objectively, the design of the Broncos new uniforms are executed well and they’re unique. You may not like them personally or are what you expected them to be, but that doesn’t make them bad uniforms.

Yeah I'm just saying I think they're dumb and I severely dislike them. I actually wanted them to keep the previous set.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:52 PM, BroncoBilly said:

Objectively, the design of the Broncos new uniforms are executed well

Objectively, that's completely subjective.

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looking at 1960 onward, here's a look at some designs that pushed the limits of conservative football uniform design.

Dallas got the ball rolling with what is, in hindsight, a pretty radical design. Not only was it a complete departure from how football uniforms looked coming out of the 1950's, but looking at the entirety of NFL uniform history it's pretty unique.

1960_DalCowboys.png

How can we not talk about the Chargers?! Not only was their original look unique as could be, but the basic visual language of their uniforms has remained throughout franchise history.

1962_SanDiego.png

The Steelers played around with some interesting designs before finding their classic look.

1964_Pittsburgh.png

1966_Pittsburgh.png

This was a time in history when teams started to explore color blocking on the sleeves a bit more. While these next two examples don't seem radical, they did utilize a design concept that hasn't really been used before.

1966_NYJets.png

1966_Denver.png

The Falcons seem to be the first team to go with the logo on the sleeve look, something that wouldn't be seen again until the 80's.

1966_Atlanta.png

The Rams introduced the sleeve horn design, which is a pretty significant departure from the previous generic sleeve striping design.

1973_LosAngeles.png

Then the Eagles did whatever the hell this is. I'm not even sure how to categorize it, but it isn't exactly standard sleeve striping.

1974_Philadelphia.png

The Bengals didn't introduce their signature look until 1981, but it was certainly a new direction.

1981_Cincinnati.png

As mentioned earlier in another post, the Cardinals and Seahawks were in on the logo + sleeve stripes look, which hadn't happened before 1982. Green Bay followed in 1984.

1982_StLouis.png

1983_Seattle.png

1984_GreenBay.png

In 1986 the Saints went to a logo-only sleeve, and the following year the Dolphins added their logo above the stripes.

1986_NewOrleans.png

1987_Miami.png

Then in 1993 these came along...

1993_NewEngland.png

...which were followed by the Flying Elvis shoulder logo uniforms, expansion teams, the Nike Broncos, the new Bucs, and so on and so forth.

Notice only two of the uniforms posted are from the 1970's! A time when fashion and design were going through a Renaissance in society and, as others mentioned, in Major League Baseball. Pretty wild to compare the two. Again, there were plenty of interesting colors at play in the NFL during the 70's, but yeah, as far as actual uniform design experimentation, it was pretty tame, unlike baseball.

• Like 16
  • Applause 4

9 hours ago, Bmac said:

Looking at 1960 onward, here's a look at some designs that pushed the limits of conservative football uniform design.

Dallas got the ball rolling with what is, in hindsight, a pretty radical design. Not only was it a complete departure from how football uniforms looked coming out of the 1950's, but looking at the entirety of NFL uniform history it's pretty unique.

[images snipped]

This is a great post.  

I hadn't even considered those from the 60s/70s/early 80s. My memory was mostly thinking about late '80s/early '90s - basically when jerseys started popping up in stores - but that wasn't on purpose, so I'm glad you pointed out those other examples.  Either way, I can't believe I missed the Chargers and Bengals, who were playing off of the relatively common hoop template, but in groundbreaking ways (honestly, in the 10 seconds I was thinking about it, I forgot about the hoop template altogether.)

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oddly enough, while they were definitely experimental in 1960, I'd argue that the inaugural Cowboys uniforms wouldn't have looked out-of-place in the 1920s or 30s. Those '60s Steelers uniforms also would have fit in back then.

On a similar note, the Falcons were not the first team to go with logos on the sleeves. The Cardinals did it in 1922 (which inspired their 1994 throwbacks) and 1926-27. The Staten Island Stapletons also did it from 1929-32. And Washington used sleeve logos in 1937-38 before moving them to the shoulders in 1939. Notably, some of these also count as the "logo and sleeve stripes" look decades before the '82 Cardinals did it.

Looking back at the ancient pre-merger uniforms is always fascinating because a lot of design elements we think of as modern and progressive were actually being done back then.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

This is a great post.  

I hadn't even considered those from the 60s/70s/early 80s. My memory was mostly thinking about late '80s/early '90s - basically when jerseys started popping up in stores - but that wasn't on purpose, so I'm glad you pointed out those other examples.  Either way, I can't believe I missed the Chargers and Bengals, who were playing off of the relatively common hoop template, but in groundbreaking ways (honestly, in the 10 seconds I was thinking about it, I forgot about the hoop template altogether.)

Someone here once posted a newspaper clipping from when the Bengals first rolled out the tiger-stripe inserts and it was a pretty big deal for an NFL team to be that bold, especially a conservative Paul Brown enterprise. 

I maintain that relative simplicity is a good thing for football uniforms. 11 guys often in proximity to one another puts more of an emphasis on how the team looks as a unit. It's why the Raiders look so striking but lesser teams that try to Look Intimidating can't quite get it across the same way. 

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Something that has been driving me nuts about the Falcons uniform is the black pants have this mesh material on the back of the pant leg that is see through. When players wear white tights, which is now the standard combo for us, it shows through the pant legs. This effect was even noticeable from the stands on Sunday. 

I yearn for a re-do where our primary pants are silver, both for home and road games. As much as I defended these uniforms the first few years, I have grown so tired of how goofy they look. 

Panthers_Falcons-2089533-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Something that has been driving me nuts about the Falcons uniform is the black pants have this mesh material on the back of the pant leg that is see through. When players wear white tights, which is now the standard combo for us, it shows through the pant legs. This effect was even noticeable from the stands on Sunday. 

I yearn for a re-do where our primary pants are silver, both for home and road games. As much as I defended these uniforms the first few years, I have grown so tired of how goofy they look. 

Panthers_Falcons-2089533-1.jpg

I've seen that same problem with the Ravens and their purple pants. At least for the players that wear tights underneath the pants, matching the pants and socks makes sense to lessen the effect. But then again, the tights defeat the purpose of the mesh pants.

11 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Those jerseys are awful, and also they came out when I was a kid so I think they're cool and I love them.

One of my first Tom Brady jerseys was the grey one, and I wore it with pride all the time.

Honestly didn’t notice they were wearing them sometimes.

On 10/13/2024 at 10:36 PM, The_Admiral said:

Someone here once posted a newspaper clipping from when the Bengals first rolled out the tiger-stripe inserts and it was a pretty big deal for an NFL team to be that bold, especially a conservative Paul Brown enterprise. 

I maintain that relative simplicity is a good thing for football uniforms. 11 guys often in proximity to one another puts more of an emphasis on how the team looks as a unit. It's why the Raiders look so striking but lesser teams that try to Look Intimidating can't quite get it across the same way. 

Agree 100%. These companies like Nike started trying to be too 'edgy' back in the 1990s, which has resulted in far too many uniform elements which clutter up a look: side panels on jerseys, more than 3 stripes on pants/helmets, piping, off-color shoulders, drop-shadow numbers, multi-color helmets, 'faded' jersey elements, 'icy white' or 'blackout' uniforms, chrome facemasks, stupid number fonts, denim stitching on jerseys...

Meanwhile, the Raiders haven't changed a thing since 1964. And don't need to.

16 hours ago, Froob said:

Why are there Pats fans that yearn for these? I’d much prefer a white Pat Patriot throwback or 90s jerseys if we added a second alt

How many games were they even worn for? These are hitting Saints gold jerseys levels of weird.

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

How many games were they even worn for? These are hitting Saints gold jerseys levels of weird.

Just went on GUD and counted, 6 times from 2003-2007.

2003 Weeks 11 & 14

2004 Week 14

2005 Week 5

2006 Week 15

2007 Week3

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

Just went on GUD and counted, 6 times from 2003-2007.

2003 Weeks 11 & 14

2004 Week 14

2005 Week 5

2006 Week 15

2007 Week3

Thanks for the research. I don't think I'd have guessed even that many times.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Jags going Black/Teal/Black/Black in London -- seems like another golden opportunity for the Pats to try Silver/White/Silver that they just refuse to take for some reason.

It’s about as wishful as wanting the Commies to wear their white jersey with gold pants

22 hours ago, Froob said:

Why are there Pats fans that yearn for these? I’d much prefer a white Pat Patriot throwback or 90s jerseys if we added a second alt

Alright I guess this post would be best suited for the Unpopular Opinions thread but I really like this combo

Silver-silver-navy looks better than silver-white-navy imo

Silver helmets really only look good with silver pants (or in this case, a silver jersey). Another "hot take" I'm guessing?