College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

3 hours ago, nuordr said:

spacer.png

It's interesting that the secondary stripe color goes all the way around the primary stripe rather than terminating into the seam like they've traditionally done on modern cuts. It now reads as two floating white stripes stroked in black rather than a black-white-black-red-black-white-black stripe.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Huh? 1

9 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

It's interesting that the secondary stripe color goes all the way around the primary stripe rather than terminating into the seam like they've traditionally done on modern cuts. It now reads as two floating white stripes stroked in black rather than a black-white-black-red-black-white-black stripe.

This is the first thing I noticed. It's a minor detail but is incredibly unsettling for me. That's simply not how stripes are treated. Weird choice.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

And to make it weirder, they only do it on the front half of the stripe.

spacer.png

• Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

And to make it weirder, they only do it on the front half of the stripe.

It looks like this is a result of this now Adidas template (which is really bad) not having traditional sleeve caps. The seam for the cap runs from the back and stops at the top of the shoulder – the front, sleeve cap, and shoulders appear to be one piece on each side, joined with the weird sternum panel.

There's no seam for the stripes to terminate in to.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

^came here to bring up the sleeve stripes on Texas Tech, but y’all got it covered. Very weird design choice. But otherwise, I really like their new designs. They feel fairly timeless.

BYU is not as good as their normal uniforms, but I can appreciate them as a throwback. However, they got the number font wrong. Interesting, considering it’s Nike’s own design they’re throwing back to.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 2

49 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

^came here to bring up the sleeve stripes on Texas Tech, but y’all got it covered. Very weird design choice. But otherwise, I really like their new designs. They feel fairly timeless.

BYU is not as good as their normal uniforms, but I can appreciate them as a throwback. However, they got the number font wrong. Interesting, considering it’s Nike’s own design they’re throwing back to.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is it possible that the Jets are wanting to be the only ones to use the original number font? Or were these uniforms made by someone else and then the Nike logos were stitched in so they want to keep the current font? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it possible that the Jets are wanting to be the only ones to use the original number font? Or were these uniforms made by someone else and then the Nike logos were stitched in so they want to keep the current font? 

A fair question that we’ll probably never know the answer to.

Texas and OU are celebrating their first day as official members of the SEC. Looks like Texas is using an old jersey so their final uniform will probably look a bit different (notice how the OU jersey has more breathing room).

This discussion goes a bit off topic, but the new SEC doesn’t bother me as much as some other realignment moves. The two new schools fit within the footprint of the conference. They probably make the 2012 expansion (Mizzou and Texas A&M) look a bit more natural geographically. Some classic rivalries are also restored from the Big 8, Southwest Conference, and of course Big 12 days. Those three conferences saw a mix of Oklahoma, Mizzou, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas at various times. The new SEC seems like a much more natural fit than the new B1G and ACC. I think the new Big 12 also did a respectable job of rebuilding its membership.

If you can’t tell, I’m just ready for football.

• Like 6
  • Meh 1

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Texas and OU are celebrating their first day as official members of the SEC. Looks like Texas is using an old jersey so their final uniform will probably look a bit different (notice how the OU jersey has more breathing room).

This discussion goes a bit off topic, but the new SEC doesn’t bother me as much as some other realignment moves. The two new schools fit within the footprint of the conference. They probably make the 2012 expansion (Mizzou and Texas A&M) look a bit more natural geographically. Some classic rivalries are also restored from the Big 8, Southwest Conference, and of course Big 12 days. Those three conferences saw a mix of Oklahoma, Mizzou, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas at various times. The new SEC seems like a much more natural fit than the new B1G and ACC. I think the new Big 12 also did a respectable job of rebuilding its membership.

League size is more annoying to me, and I think Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are all in the wrong league now based on the big schools they're right next to but won't ever play because it's a risk to lose big games outside the conference.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Agreed. As a Mizzou fan, I'm pretty pumped to play Texas and OU again. When Mizzou first moved from the Big12, I was bummed about missing out on old rivalries. I also never thought they would hold their own in the SEC and they have proved me wrong. It's turned out to be a great move for the program. Man, adding Texas and OU....that conference is going to be a gauntlet. 

37 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Huge downgrade for Texas Tech. They are the umpteenth college program in recent years to throw away a distinctive design element (the two-tone stripes) in favor of a glorified catalog order.

I don't know that the previous sleeve stripes would work on that template. But it's also now a requirement that once a school gets a new kit maker, everything has to get changed unless your a legacy program. And even then, adidas has to change something about the teams it gives gear to. The only team that wouldn't have the whole uniform changed was Michigan, but they've also been happy to change up their away uniforms every few years and lately have embraced monochrome navy and maize. 

71191596007-20231014-texas-tech-kansas-s

07344cebb6784859a03af3a3da9694d8.jpg

I also feel that this school always goes back to this. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

But it's also now a requirement that once a school gets a new kit maker, everything has to get changed unless your a legacy program.

I wouldn't call Cal a "legacy program" unless you're going to reach all the way back to the 1920s, and they kept the Sather Stripes and font from UA when they switched back to Nike. Wyoming kept their custom font when they switched from Nike to Adidas. Hell, Texas Tech themselves are already keeping the font UA designed for them, so I fail to see why they couldn't keep the stripes too like Cal did.

There is no rule requiring them to change everything. The schools and manufacturers have just decided that looking as boring as possible is what's hip now. They're wildly overcorrecting from the excesses of the 2010s.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The schools and manufacturers have just decided that looking as boring as possible is what's hip now. They're wildly overcorrecting from the excesses of the 2010s.

This comment would be more accurate around 2019, when you had teams like Illinois, Baylor, Wake Forest, Arizona State etc. going uber-minimalist with essentially no design elements beyond numbers and maybe some collar trim.  That was where the pendulum really swung back in the opposite direction from the mid-2010's craziness.  Heck, even Oregon had a set that had basically nothing going on.  I would say what we're getting now is nowhere near as boring as it could be.

Being a classic-style striping enthusiast myself, I'm loving it.  Almost every new set over the last couple of years has been a step up from where we were a few years ago, with some that are really excellent (Oklahoma State, Illinois, Iowa State when they remember what their school colors are).  Even K-F'n-U looks good, and I NEVER thought I would say that.   I'm going to enjoy the next few years of uni-watching before we inevitably move back into hyper-modernism again.

• Like 7

"The guns have fallen silent.  The stars have aligned.  The great wait is over.  Come see.  It will not be televised."

I know it's a minor detail, but the stripes having the border run around them makes these Texas Tech uniforms look cheap. 

When I see a stripe on a sleeve cap where it gives the appearance of a piece of cloth where the stripe keeps running, it looks natural. The full border makes it even more apparent how the material is kind of just slapped on there, almost like a bumper sticker. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

Oh god, I didn't even notice that about the Texas Tech sleeve stripes. They look like someone used the photoshop shape tool and added a stroke. What the hell. 

That's also what I was thinking. For graphic designers, you immediately by default have a negative association with it because it's usually the result of someone taking the short cut or not knowing what they are doing. Does it look "bad" applied on an actual uniform? No, like, not really. But my brain hates it anyways.

• Like 4