24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Can someone tell me the benefit of pulling a pitcher from a no-hitter? He could've made history in just his second start.

Kerry Wood

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Kerry Wood

Last year, Michael Lorenzen.  It ruined him, and the manager said he kept extending when he was getting hooked, and that he would have been hooked after the final batter regardless.

As a fan I hate it, but I get it.  Most of today's pitchers (more specifically, their arms) aren't made to throw a ton of pitches at 100MPH.  A guy like Ranger Suarez who tops out at around 91 and pitches to contact could probably go 130 pitches, but the way he pitches, if he's anywhere near that then he certainly doesn't have a no-hitter going.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

So, Skenes is the real deal huh? 

I hope he can last longer that Strasburg the last pitcher with as much hype trying to bring hope to a long time downtrodden East Coast NL franchise.

Replenishing that gold mine of pitching talent again, I see? 

We'll see how long Pittsburgh can hold on to him...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

50 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Long enough to drive up the price from "he's our cornerkeystone of the future" to "we had to take what we could get with the limited amount player control left", after 5 straight 4th or 5th place finishes.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

He's already signed with the Dodgers for the 2028 season.

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I was just about to say... (insert big-market team) fans are already probably creating custom jerseys with his name on them. They might as well, given history.

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Which means the 2028 Pirates were already eliminated from postseason contention by All-Star Break 2027...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

49 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Which means the 2028 Pirates were already eliminated from postseason contention by All-Star Break 2027...

2026 postseason too, but your point remains.

BB52Big.jpg

I heard this live on the broadcast, and couldn't tell if the ump was accidentally caught on a live mic, or was somehow being interviewed by the announcers after a crew-chief review.  Context - Rangers guy hits what appears to everyone to be a HR, but it's close - especially since it hit a fans food right over the wall.  But it was definitely a HR.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Cubs and Cards agree to a 2:30 rain delay on Sunday night, starting at 8:45PM Central, to avoid a 5-game 3-day series in the only other meeting in St. Louis this year.

That schedule is a problem for two teams in the same division.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

So the Cardinals have woken up, for now. I’ll enjoy it if it lasts. The team still has some issues, but if they can stay in contention until the all star break, they have to get one more pitcher and maybe some DH help or there will be riots in STL. Goldschmidt and Arenado can’t carry them on their own anymore but the young guys are playing well. They’re not as talented as the Dodgers or Phillies, but they have the horses to overtake the Brewers, especially if they make a stab at a pitcher.

I hope good play doesn’t save Marmol’s job because he’s incompetent, and the team/management needs to take a long look in the mirror, but they’re playing good baseball right now. I hope they can sustain it… I think?

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

So the Cardinals have woken up, for now. I’ll enjoy it if it lasts. The team still has some issues, but if they can stay in contention until the all star break, they have to get one more pitcher and maybe some DH help or there will be riots in STL. Goldschmidt and Arenado can’t carry them on their own anymore but the young guys are playing well. They’re not as talented as the Dodgers or Phillies, but they have the horses to overtake the Brewers, especially if they make a stab at a pitcher.

I hope good play doesn’t save Marmol’s job because he’s incompetent, and the team/management needs to take a long look in the mirror, but they’re playing good baseball right now. I hope they can sustain it… I think?

Actually, Burleson is holding down the DH spot pretty well, while rotating other guys through to give them a semi-day off. But this mirrors last year. Rough start, then about mid-May, take off, beating good teams, looking like they're back only for it to flip to June and come back to reality. As long as they aren't terrible terrible the rest of the way, I fear they will use a mediocre season as an excuse to give him another season. Turner Ward would probably be the first sacrificial lamb if the hitting regresses again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McCall said:

Actually, Burleson is holding down the DH spot pretty well, while rotating other guys through to give them a semi-day off. But this mirrors last year. Rough start, then about mid-May, take off, beating good teams, looking like they're back only for it to flip to June and come back to reality. As long as they aren't terrible terrible the rest of the way, I fear they will use a mediocre season as an excuse to give him another season. Turner Ward would probably be the first sacrificial lamb if the hitting regresses again.

Burleson has been playing some outfield as well. I was thinking of him in that sense, but you’re right, he has been hitting. DH is the spot for him. The pitching is far better this year, particularly in the bullpen so that gives me hope. I’m so conflicted about what the team needs to do. On one hand they have lots of young talent and I can see the potential for this season, but on the other hand, I know the team is very flawed, the stars are fading and a 85-90 win season just prolongs the mediocrity the team is mired in. They need lots of things to go their way, including a couple chickens to be sacrificed to sniff real postseason success. I want them to win now, but I also want them to be better in the long run. Blow it up and trade the old guys or try to ride the wave and “retool”?

59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Angel Hernandez is retiring. This is not a drill!

Funny how all it took was an Athletic piece where all they could say was “well, he’s a nice guy” and “well, he’s not the worst, but he’s around 70 out of 85.”

VmWIn6B.png

He was obviously a disgrace and one of the worst we’ll ever see…but I always had a fascination seeing him on the schedule. You always knew you were gonna see something wacky. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience