24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Such a weird season.  Phillies were fluctuating between 26-29 above 500 for the final few weeks of the first half, and mostly in 1st-place overall during that time (by 1-3 games at any time).  They then took a complete crap, played around 12 under 500 for a while, and just finally got back to that 29-30 above 500 range.  Yet they're still in 1st overall, and at no point did they drop below 3rd (I think.)

Point being, none of the top teams have played above .500 baseball in the second half.  You'd think that good teams would pick up at least a game every week, but the same number above 500 that was good enough in July is the same that's good enough now.  Granted, high-20s in July is unsustainable since that would project to a 110-ish win season, but you'd think that some team would be closing in on 100 by now, and it's not likely that even one will by EOY.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The White Sox eked out a couple one run wins over the A's and won a series. Many people are saying this is the turning point of the season. 

Still need to go 8-4 over the last 12 to avoid tying the 62 Mets. My dream of seeing a team win fewer than 40 games in a full season feels like it hangs in the balance. A 5-7 finish gets them to 40 wins. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Love to see the AL Central. The top 4 teams are fighting for the playoffs while the White Sox are fighting for 40 wins this year. I want them to lose the rest of this year so the 2003 Tigers aren’t the worst team ever in the American League.

Am I the only one that doesn’t need an update on the white sox ineptitude every day? How about rather than rooting for a team to fail you just let it play out and then talk about how they are the biggest dumpster fire in history. I think only 5 comments maybe the last few pages have been about anything but the white sox sucking, which really just tells you how bad media coverage of baseball in general has gotten.

• LOL 1
  • Dislike 3

Craziness...any other time, the bigger baseball story out of Chicago would be the Cubs somehow still having a shot at a wildcard...so all the Sox had to do to grab headlines was be historically atrocious at baseball, who knew?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

6 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Craziness...any other time, the bigger baseball story out of Chicago would be the Cubs somehow still having a shot at a wildcard...so all the Sox had to do to grab headlines was be historically atrocious at baseball, who knew?

Eh - the Cubs are 5 back with 12 to go AND have to leap frog the Braves. Craig can plan on going back to Whitefish Bay shortly.

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t need an update on the white sox ineptitude every day? How about rather than rooting for a team to fail you just let it play out and then talk about how they are the biggest dumpster fire in history. I think only 5 comments maybe the last few pages have been about anything but the white sox sucking, which really just tells you how bad media coverage of baseball in general has gotten.

A playoff race happens every year, but a team this bad comes around once every half century. It's not our fault you can't appreciate the chase for history. We have to talk about it now. 

Here's another update (and I'm going to start sharing a few updates each day as we get closer)

WHITE SOX WATCH!

The Boys in Black are suddenly competent and have pulled out three straight wins. 11 games left. 5-6 breaks the loss record, 6-5 ties it, 7-4 avoids it. I'm getting nervous the Southsiders have found a spark. Need 4 out of the last 11 to reach 40 wins and there's five left against the Angels who seem a little too cooperative in their own right. The Padres and Tigers have playoff hopes on the line so expect a full effort from those two clubs when they see the Bright Feet. Stacking wins against the checked out Angels might be their only shot to avoid ignominious history. 

Pitching matchup in Anaheim tonight - Griffin Canning (5-13, 5.35 (YIKES)) for the Halos vs Davis Martin (0-4, 4.14) for the Sox.

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCall said:

Yes.

The only interesting race right now is if the Braves can miss the playoffs entirely, which would be very funny because a preseason projection gave them a 98% chance to make the playoffs and even for them that felt way too high. I cannot make myself care about the AL wildcard race. I just tried again and nope. The White Sox are the only thing to talk about right now. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 9/12/2024 at 9:47 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Blood claat idiot 

Meanwhile, Crash Davis does it and he's a legend.   He even became a manager at the end of his career.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, Sport said:

WHITE SOX WATCH!

Lose 5-0 to fall to 36-116. The Stockings we all know and love are back. Must go 7-3 to avoid tying the loss record. 5-5 breaks it.

3-7 is the sweet spot here: the '62 Mets didn't bother with two makeups, so 39-123 is both more losses and fewer wins, thus unequivocally worse. However, if they can manage to go 2-8, 38-124 would give them a lower winning percentage than the 1916 A's, currently the worst in the NL/AL era.

This is exciting stuff. Don't blow it, guys.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

3-7 is the sweet spot here: the '62 Mets didn't bother with two makeups, so 39-123 is both more losses and fewer wins, thus unequivocally worse. However, if they can manage to go 2-8, 38-124 would give them a lower winning percentage than the 1916 A's. 

This is exciting stuff. Don't blow it, guys.

The 62 Mets not actually playing the full 162 has been bugging me throughout this race for history. The White Sox could go 40-122, tie them on wins, and still break the record on losses and I'd say that's fundamentally unfair to the White Sox - The 62 Mets would've in all probability lost the two makeup games they didn't bother to play. So in the interest of fairness we have to root for them to break the loss record in the next 8 games, not the next ten. That makes it less fun. 

The question is no longer if they'll break the loss record because they will. The question is can they get to 40 wins? 3-7, or ideally worse, is my dream because a team finishing a season with under 40 wins is just visually hilarious. 39-123 looks like the number for a storage unit, not a baseball team's W/L record. I think we're gonna need the Also Not Trying Angels to dig deep and take at least 3 of the next 4. 

Today's pitching matchup: Kochanowicz – LAA (2-5, 5.08 ERA) vs Shuster – CHW (1-4, 4.54 ERA)

That game starts at 1pm local time. If I was an Orange County resident I'd seriously consider taking the afternoon off and attending. It'd be like having your own personal stadium all to yourself. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tickets in the single digits for the Angels series at Comiskey. I'm considering it. I've never gone behind enemy lines before and what better time than now?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫