Looks Like its going to be the Nationals

KJTALBOT

Plus, after having and losing the Senators twice I think it was wise not to test the Baseball Gods again.

Actually, the first Senators team that Washington lost was technically the Washington Nationals. Senators was simply an alternative nickname that ended up being utilized more and more often over the history of the franchise.

The name was officially changed from Nationals to Senators in the mid 1950s.

I'm glad it's Nationals, that was what I was hoping for all along.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, Chris.

After the 1899 season, the National League's Washington Senators folded. In an effort to avoid confusion with the defunct NL team, the American League franchise that began play in Washington, DC in 1901 adopted the Nationals name. Despite Washington Nationals being the official name of the franchise from 1901 to 1955, fans never took to the name and often referred to the club as the Senators. Finally, in 1956, the club officially adopted the Senators name. They used it for five seasons, until the club relocated to Minnesota in time for the 1961 season.

I like the Nationals. Twice is enough for the Senators. Never even cared for the Grays( imagine Reds vs Grays, almost sounds like an intrasquad scrimmage)

The Monuments is just stupid. I could imagine the logo being The Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Capitol building, and others being together out of a script.

Signature intentionally left blank

There's an article on ESPN.com right concering a possible hangup in the plan to move the Expos to D.C. Also included is this

In another development, baseball spokesman Rich Levin said reports in Friday's editions of The Washington Times and USA Today that the Expos would be renamed the Nationals were premature. Levin said other names, such as the Senators, remain under consideration and that baseball still was conducting focus groups.

Here's the link:

ESPN Article

There's an article on ESPN.com right concering a possible hangup in the plan to move the Expos to D.C. Also included is this
In another development, baseball spokesman Rich Levin said reports in Friday's editions of The Washington Times and USA Today that the Expos would be renamed the Nationals were premature. Levin said other names, such as the Senators, remain under consideration and that baseball still was conducting focus groups.

Here's the link:

ESPN Article

The move still isn't official, which is why I haven't made the change on my site yet. It'll probably happen, but still not official... I was surprised to see teams listing Washington as an opponent in 2005.

---

Chris Creamer

On the Atlanta Braves' Web site, the 2005 schedule is up, and the Expos are referred to as "D.C." whereas everyone else is "SF" "SD" "PIT"...so "D.C." might be the name after all.

But then again on the Jays schedule it lists them as "Washington" and on another schedule it lists them as simply "Expos"

---

Chris Creamer

Funny, the Phillies' web site lists them as "EXP" for some odd reason. BTW, what's their mascot if they become the Nats, a frickin' bug?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The Pilots announced a move to Milwaukee for the 1970 season on APRIL 1, 1970... so they competed as the Pilots in spring training and the Brewers during the regular season. This was Bud Selig's doing too.

The season was starting on April 7, 1970 and in that time they came up with the team name, logo, and uniforms and had everything made in time for the season... of course the uniforms were practically the Pilots uniforms with a new name across the front.

See for yourself!

al_1969_seattle.gifal_1970_milwaukee.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen with the Expos for 2005.

---

Chris Creamer

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen with the Expos for 2005.

I think MLB and the Expos have the resources and money (not to mention marketing foresight) to do a better job than the cut-and-paste job the Pilots-Brewers did in 1970. I doubt very much that the Nationals (or whatevers) will have the Expos font, a block letter cap logo, etc, that looks like they just changed the Expos unis. But I could be wrong...

Despite Washington Nationals being the official name of the franchise from 1901 to 1955, fans never took to the name and often referred to the club as the Senators. Finally, in 1956, the club officially adopted the Senators name.

You are right. "Senators" is the popular but not official nickname.

"Nats" was a contraction of Senators and Nationals.

Personally I like "Nationals", it sounds nice.

winghaz, I agree with you. I've got a 1963-67 Washington Nats' cap. I'm always in love with that cap.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I cant believe no one came up with

DC Comics... come on people its perfect.... lol

If they weren't going for my DC Cabs idea, they aren't going for the DC Comics.

You know--I can't believe I didn't think of that one--oh well, I haven't bought a comic in eons--maybe that's why...

and survival 79 quoted survival 79--becuase they're the same guy!

Somebody check the IP! :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'd like to see them as the D.C. Nationals instead of Washington Nationals, just for some difference.

I really like that idea, but MLB would probably think that sounded too MLS.

and survival 79 quoted survival 79--becuase they're the same guy!

Somebody check the IP! :D

You caught me! :P

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I guess I always thought of a funny rule that I like to apply which usually determines if I like the name or not.

If you were on the team, could you say, I am a "Saint, Cowboy, Charger, Cub, etc"

You cant really say "Im a National, Wild, Heat, etc. Well, I guess you could say "I play for the ---" I guess I just like teams when there nickname implies they are a group of something, basically, not MLS nicknames.

I didnt hear anybody say:

Washington/D.C. "Politicians"

"Poli" meaning many "Tics" meaning blood sucking insects :P

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Despite Washington Nationals being the official name of the franchise from 1901 to 1955, fans never took to the name and often referred to the club as the Senators. Finally, in 1956, the club officially adopted the Senators name.

You are right. "Senators" is the popular but not official nickname.

"Nats" was a contraction of Senators and Nationals.

Personally I like "Nationals", it sounds nice.

winghaz, I agree with you. I've got a 1963-67 Washington Nats' cap. I'm always in love with that cap.

See my post regarding this a few posts up

---

Chris Creamer

Archived