Blue ice. Interesting. But read on...

OMMF

Didn't the (or don't) the Devils have black lines instead of blue lines?

Teams have always played with the playing fields a bit. I know at the University of Illinois, the baseball field has Orange foul poles instead of yellow. Eh, no big deal.

I think the biggest reason they are doing this is to get people talking. And that's exactly what is happening right now. We're talking about hockey.

Plus, the HDTV thing. A tinted blue ice will be easier to watch than the white out that you currently have. I don't think we're talking Boise State here, just ice that is painted baby blue instead of white.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the idea of changing playing surfaces. Did they get any ideas from Boise State? :D I also don't like the idea of thirds being different than the teams colors. Either have the third based on red/white/black/silver or change the whole uniform set back to blue and gold.

KISSwall09.jpg

In that picture, the orange looks a lot like the color used at the bottom of the boards.

I guess yellow has a lot more conterest to the color of the puck and players skates than blue does -- so that may have something to do with.

I prefer red and blue -- and think changing up the colors will do nothing to bring fans back. After the mess they've gotten themselves into -- do they really expect changing up some colors to do anything to bring fans back? Especially when it's going against tradition.

Now how will the new WHA respond? They were the innovators of changing the colors of things for a quick fix: gold skates, blue pucks. Maybe they'll install chaser lights along the boards to go off for goals or sometihng.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, the WHA will respond by folding - er, I mean, "undergoing reorganization."

The person who wrote that article obviously hasn't been following the AHL a lick this season. All of those rule changes he listed as if they were experimental for the two "blue ice" games have been in place all season. And I don't see any issue with light blue ice and a medium-to-dark blue line.

As for the green ice, the Chicago Wolves tried that for their week-long St. Patrick's Day celebration in 1999. It looked like they were skating on a giant Shamrock Shake.

(P.S. Bring back the Sabres' old colors)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

But when McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Vaughn and Bonds started socking dingers like they was going out of style, that's what got the fans back.

Greg or Mo, neither were responsible for getting me to the ballpark. ^_^

i think he was referring to Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn. :D

"Mild thing, Mr. Choke thing, you make everything, embarrassing."

Best. Movie. Ever.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Actually, what would they do with the goaler areas, which are painted blue now? Would they change them to an off-white or something?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

greg vaughn had a big year in 98 and was within 3 or 4 of mark and sammy when they both had home runs in the 30's and don't forget that griffey hit like 58 that year.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Blue ice, orange lines--yuck--too mcuh like the Edmonton Oilers old jerseys or the Broncos--looks I don't like...

If you do change colours I agree with the comment above--do it in team colours...

As for the Sabres--I know I'm in the minority--but about a year before they changed I chose them as the NHL team most in need of a new uniform.

They can change the current ones-sure--but their blue & golds were boring...

That's how I see things any way...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

BAs for the Sabres--I know I'm in the minority--but about a year before they changed I chose them as the NHL team most in need of a new uniform.

Weren't "those" Islanders uniforms in use for a year right before Buffalo switched? 1995-96? So how could you pick Buffalo over Long Island in needing a new look?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BAs for the Sabres--I know I'm in the minority--but about a year before they changed I chose them as the NHL team most in need of a new uniform.

Weren't "those" Islanders uniforms in use for a year right before Buffalo switched? 1995-96? So how could you pick Buffalo over Long Island in needing a new look?

The Isles ahd already announced they were switcng back I believe...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Isn't easier to see a BLACK PUCK against the WHITE ICE rather than blue or whatever color ice? I think you'd need that stupid glowing FOX puck from the mid-90s to see the puck on blue ice, don't you think?

Isn't easier to see a BLACK PUCK against the WHITE ICE rather than blue or whatever color ice? I think you'd need that stupid glowing FOX puck from the mid-90s to see the puck on blue ice, don't you think?

Believe it or not, black is actually easier to see against a light colored background (yellow is best) than against white.

I have no idea why.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Believe it or not, black is actually easier to see against a light colored background (yellow is best) than against white.

I have no idea why.

Well considering what other people on this thread have said about a white background being a strain on your eyes, it probably makes looking at a black spot (i.e. a puck) a lot easier. Think about this board for second and imagine a white background instead of this blue one. Ask yourself which background would make reading text easier...

I saw, I came, I left.

Well considering what other people on this thread have said about a white background being a strain on your eyes, it probably makes looking at a black spot (i.e. a puck) a lot easier. Think about this board for second and imagine a white background instead of this blue one. Ask yourself which background would make reading text easier...

yeah but when you're looking at a computer screen, obviously a white computer screen is gonna hurt your eyes. It's one thing to read type on white screen (which i agree, it's straining on the eyes), and another to watch a moving puck on TV or at the arena, the whole picture isn't white on TV. So I'd think it's ALOT different to compare white ice to a white computer screen.

btw when's the last time you watched an entire hockey game on TV with your face less than 2 feet away from the TV? you can't compare watching a hockey game on TV or in real life to looking at a computer screen...

btw when's the last time you watched an entire hockey game on TV with your face less than 2 feet away from the TV?

It's obvious from your statement you aren't Canadian. :flagcanada:

Archived