Detroit Lions to Unveil Black Alts

TruColor

Blue numbers? Good deal. A couple of Lions alt concepts were posted on here a while back, and the ones with blue numbers looked so much better (and more Lions-ish) than ones with white numbers. On the ones with white numbers, blue was barely visible anywhere on the jersey.

Here was my idea, though I imagine it's safe to disregard the blue pants and grey socks as a personal pipe dream of mine.

lionsalternate.gif

YARRGH! :puke:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You watch the team more because you like the uniforms more?!? Now THAT'S skewed! I ALWAYS watched the Patriots whether they were horrible or damn good (at playing football not the color of their unis) or even if they had a huge Elvis drapped over each shoulder. But, I guess you wouldn't understand.

my problem is they are trying to update while holding on too the past.

if they are going to make a change then they need to make a serious change to the lions uniforms, not just add black. which doesn't bother me, i actually like it. i personally believe they don't far enough with the update. they need a serious modernization, not a radical overhaul but a modernization and not just add black.

the black alt is not good but not bad, kinda middle of the road to me. nothing puke worthy though. its too carolina pantherish to me.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Wow, this uni really seems to have ardent supporters and detractors.

Now, I'm one who's against adding black for black's sake. And I felt that the initial addition of black to the Lions' color scheme was haphazard at best. But man, I can't deny that I like these new alts. The only thing I don't care for is the collar - it needs some white, or silver, or both. They look sharp as part of the total package of the uni, though I do think that they'll probably have black socks, and that will detract from the look a bit. The Honolulu Blue (or whatever the current shade is) contrasts great against the black and there's a sufficiently thick outline so that seeing the numbers won't be an issue. When you look back at the NFL, it's rare for a team to wear colored numbers on their dark jerseys, with the exception of yellow/gold. Last team I can think of that did it was the '93 Patriots, and damned if those didn't look really good, too.

As for those decrying the look as too much of a break from the tradition of the Detroit Lions, might I remind you of the franchise that is being discussed here? It's the Lions. The only tradition they have is one steeped in losing. And how many of you are people who have been begging and pleading for a change from the most traditional of franchises (and most traditional of losers,) the Cardinals? Of course, the results of the Cardinals' sea change... well, that's in another thread.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Last team I can think of that did it was the '93 Patriots, and damned if those didn't look really good, too.

Are you leaving out the silver numbers the Raiders have worn for decades in this post? And the Cowboys have also had silver/gray numbers on their navy jerseys for a few years now.

Colored numbers on colored jerseys are a great idea if done properly. But you'd be setting yourself up for some wretched or altogether illegible eyesores (think: Dolphins orange on aqua, Eagles black on midnight green). The '93 Pats dark jerseys got the numbers right if nothing else.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It appears even the traditionalist Lions fans are liking the black look:

Lions new, Black jersey poll in The Detroit News

Over 70% like 'em.

The blue jerseys will still be worn 5 times (maybe 6 on the road at Dallas). So they aren't going to black full time. I think it looks great. The team has a crap record for nearly the past 50 years in blue. No Super Bowl appearances and ONE playoff win the whole time. Its been a sad sack, pathetic franchise. As I mentioned in a previous post, they could wear pink as long as the win something...anything!

Last team I can think of that did it was the '93 Patriots, and damned if those didn't look really good, too.

Are you leaving out the silver numbers the Raiders have worn for decades in this post? And the Cowboys have also had silver/gray numbers on their navy jerseys for a few years now.

Colored numbers on colored jerseys are a great idea if done properly. But you'd be setting yourself up for some wretched or altogether illegible eyesores (think: Dolphins orange on aqua, Eagles black on midnight green). The '93 Pats dark jerseys got the numbers right if nothing else.

Madden 2000 (or 99, but I think 2000) had a mistake with the Eagles uniforms, where the green jerseys did have black numbers outlined in white. It was putrid, and I was afraid that it reflected a change that I didn't know about. Thank goodness it was just an error in the game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How many jerseys does one team need? Blue, white, throwbacks. Now this?

Bah.

And, yes... they look like Panthers ripoffs.

They need to have 16.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As for those decrying the look as too much of a break from the tradition of the Detroit Lions, might I remind you of the franchise that is being discussed here? It's the Lions. The only tradition they have is one steeped in losing.

I'd disagree - maybe not consistent winners, but they have had high points - a World Championship or two, some division winners, definitely some great players such as Barry Sanders, Joe Schmitt, Alex Karras, Billy Sims, Night Train Lane, Eddie Murray, George Plimpton ... ok, I'm stretching. But they do have a solid history.

It just would have been better if they hadn't come in after everybody this side of the Yankees has gone to black. It's really not a bad combination, just very "me-too."

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Ah yes, the Raiders. I do tend to forget them.

Really, I think that's in my best interests.

And the Cowboys did wear silver numbers on their little-seen blue jerseys from the mid '80s to the early '90s, and I think those looked better than what they have now - white-blue-white numbers.

But, by no means should you think that I believe colored numbers should be used all over the dang place. Like any other style trait of a uniform, it shouldn't be adopted by everybody, just by a couple who can make it look good.

I would never want to see the Packers with mustard numbers, for instance. The Eagles? Practically invisible, not enough contrast. But teal numbers on the Jags' alts? That could work with proper outlining. And teal pants. With stripes, dang it.

And I just remembered another instance of colored numbers... the Fouts-era Chargers. Now that's the stuff.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And teal pants. With stripes, dang it.

The Jaguars actually DO have a set of Teal pants, and in fact, modified them for the 2004 season as well. They used to have Black-Gold-Teal-Gold-Black striping on them prior to 2004 and now they're just Teal (no stripes) with the Jaguar-head logo on them.

They've just never worn them in a game.

I don't mind these...they do follow the way the honolulu blue jersey is configured (the collar is black/blue/black) and I like the touch of the numbers in blue instead of white or silver...

They're not awe-inspiring, but they could be a heck of a lot worse...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Being a huge Lions fan...I like the way the uni's look, but I'm not so sure they fit the Lions...the Lions are such a...I guess "classic" team, that I'm not sure having an alternate really fits the team. I'd rather them just wear the all blue Thanksgiving jerseys to be honest.

As a lions fan growing up I hated watching them in Honolulu blue and silver. The silver and white always blurred and looked the same. With the addition of black I now watch the Lions more than ever. The Lions needed another color to help accent the silver and blue, and black was the only color that worked. The alts. are a bit out there and will need to grow on people before people accept them.

Let me get this straight. Because you like there uniforms better, you wtach them more?

Are you a real sports fan? Id watch Green Bay(really any NFL) games if they were wearing hot pink, and teal.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Being a huge Lions fan...I like the way the uni's look, but I'm not so sure they fit the Lions...the Lions are such a...I guess "classic" team, that I'm not sure having an alternate really fits the team. I'd rather them just wear the all blue Thanksgiving jerseys to be honest.

And you certainly don't want to mess with the rich tradition of winning.....err, um, never mind!

To all the Lions fans out there (both of you) I'm just kidding.

Honestly I think these are pretty sharp, although the picture of Williams in this thread almost looks like it has been photoshopped. The Black seems too solid with no light reflecting off of it and the Blue numbers seem "painted in". I know that sounds weird but if I just saw that pic alone on the web that would be the first thought I would have.

I know I'm not the only that thinks that THIS is how the lions should look .. and they seem to keep distancing themselves from this look, rather than working towards it ... its horrible:

throwback_2003_800.jpg

I didn't mind the addition of black into the Lions' scheme. It did bring out some of the trim and striping a bit more. And there was still enough of the Honolulu blue and silver to remind everyone of that winning (sorry) tradition.

These jerseys aren't bad. They could have been made a lot worse. I like these better than the Cardinals jerseys.

But Carolina should be wearing them, not Detroit.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived