People rooting for more than one team?

Ron Mexico

I also do not like people who say they hate teams just because they are geographical or historical rivals. It seems like a cheap way out of liking a team. It would make more sense and reason to declare that their fans are ignorant or act like jerks or something like that. I could care less if a person loves something or takes no interest in it passively, but you had BETTER have a damn good excuse for NOT liking it or HATING it.

So its wrong for me to hate the Giants?? If I didnt hate them I wouldnt be a true fan.

That's not true. You'd just better have a better reason to not like them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I hate them because they are our rivals.

To me, that sounds like a pretty lame reason to hate a team. I mean, what if you met some ordinarily cool guy who happened to have everything in common with you except he was a die hard Giants fan? Likewise, that is also a pathetic reason to hate an otherwise harmless person.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also do not like people who say they hate teams just because they are geographical or historical rivals. It seems like a cheap way out of liking a team. It would make more sense and reason to declare that their fans are ignorant or act like jerks or something like that. I could care less if a person loves something or takes no interest in it passively, but you had BETTER have a damn good excuse for NOT liking it or HATING it.

So its wrong for me to hate the Giants?? If I didnt hate them I wouldnt be a true fan.

That's not true. You'd just better have a better reason to not like them.

I hate them because they are our rivals.

To me, that sounds like a pretty lame reason to hate a team. I mean, what if you met some ordinarily cool guy who happened to have everything in common with you except he was a die hard Giants fan?

I dont hate a person that is a fan of a team I hate. I have a friend like that.

But I do hate hate our rival teams.

I think it's perfectly fine to not hate every other team that isn't your favourite. It's not necessarily bandwagoning (which is lame).

Since others are running things down...

NHL - The Blues are my boys, and always have been. But I've lived in the Twin Cities for eight years now, and have gotten a chance to see the Wild build a franchise from the ground up. I go to the Xcel, I root for the Wild... until the Blues come to town. The usher in my section always gives me hell that night. And, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a Sharks supporter, but I've had a soft spot for those guys ever since their start in the league in the Doug Wilson era. (And this just in... the Blackhawks still suck.)

MLB - I'm not nearly the baseball fan I was as a kid, but if I'm a fan of anyone, it's the Cardinals (and thusly, the Cubs are regarded as one of the great Chicago disasters). Again, I fall into the trap of pulling for the Twins a bit since they're here, and since they've battled adversity to get where they are without going out and buying up players left and right.

NFL - I would say I don't really have an NFL team. I grew up in St. Louis, and in my childhood, we had the Deadbirds. Then, they moved, and several years later, the Rams came along--who sucked. Only recently have the Rams been any good. I can say I have kindof pulled for the Rams since they moved, as well as the Vikings since I've lived up here. But generally speaking, I have no real loyalties. (And, it's hard to hate the Bears, because they generally stink anyway.)

NBA - Eh, in the 80s I liked the Lakers because Magic is, was, and always will be, the man. Nowadays, I suppose I follow the T-Wolves to an extent, but the NBA's just kindof there.

MLS - This one's tough, since as I said before, it's my civic duty as a St. Louis native to hate Chicago teams. But, I developed a soft spot for the Chicago Fire, since they're the closest team, and they had some players I loved to watch--Nowak, Razov, DMB. But if they come to town in the US Open Cup...

USL First Division - I've become a big soccer convert in the last year. I've always enjoyed watching it, but my love of the game has grown exponentially lately. Thusly, I've become a supporter of the Minnesota Thunder. (STAND YOUR GROUND AT THE JIMMY!)

EPL/FA - I don't have any historic ties to clubs, being from the States. I've watched a lot of this year's EPL season, and developed a fondness for Norwich City. Watching players like Ashton, McKenzie, Huckerby, etc., is exciting, even if their defense sucked. Of course, the Canaries just got relegated to the Championship, bugger all.

That more or less covers it, I think.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I pretty much agree with the one team theory. I don't (and I'm not necessarily criticizing those who do) have teams I root for when my teams are bad. When my teams are bad, I root for them until their season is over with full belief they might make it anyways, and then, I don't watch too much of the rest of the games. Usually my decision for who I want to win then is based on who I dislike the least.

NBA- Bulls, but since MJ retired and there's no NBA team here in STL (yet), I don't have strong loyalties. In fact, I don't really even watch. Just watch the standings a bit. So basically, until the NBA comes to STL, I won't have strong loyalties.

NFL- Rams. No doubt. I love the Rams, and I've rooted for them since they've been here. That all said, this is the only time ever (and it may always be the only time ever) that I have ever felt apathy towards one of my teams. I couldn't stand what Martz and co. did to Warner and just how they've ran this organization lately. Despite my claims on the contrary, when it came down to it, I rooted hard for these guys. But for the first time ever (since they've ever given reason to expect wins) it didn't hurt when they lost. Because of Warner, I rooted for the Giants (when he started) last year, and I will root for the Cardinals a bit this year. That'll be tough though...division and former STL team rival...plus when they go head to head, I'll have to go for the Rams, but I'll hope Warner has a good showing. And if he beats the Rams, I don't think I'll hurt real bad. Still, I'll tough out this Martz era (hopefully I can grow to like and stick up for the guy again--but not yet) and still love my Rams.

NHL- Blues. Absolutely the Blues. No competition. I'll have an occasional soft spot for a team, but pretty much I can feel a strong discontent for all of them.

MLB- Cardinals. Wouldn't dream of liking anyone else. My sister, who is not a huge sports fan in general, went up to the U of I raised on the Cardinals. She didn't feel strong ties though, so it's not like she was a huge fan. Anyways, all her friends were pretty much Cub fans, and she flirted with becoming one and for a while rooted for both. Eventually I (and I think the pride of rooting for one team--esp when yours is not a perenial loser :P ) got through to her and she became a Cards fan soley. I just can't imagine rooting for anyone else.

College- University of Illinois Fighting Illini. I've been raised on the Illini, and I plan on going to the school. At times I try to root for Mizzou for my friends, but I just can't. All Illini.

Damn, this post blew up.

About my sig: I grew up in Minnesota, currently go to school @ UWM. The Gophers are my team in college football/hockey, and always will be. I still pull for them in college hoops, but I honestly care more about the Panthers chances in the Horizon League than the Gophers in the Big Ten. Seeing as how they're in two different conferences and have never (to my knowledge) played each other, I think I'm good. It's not like being a Michigan and an Ohip State fan. FYI, UWM has no football/hockey teams.

I don't think it's bandwagon hopping if you had a college team growing up, and then went to college somewhere different, espescially if they aren't conference rivals.

You're allowed to do whatever you want, I was being sarcastic with the whole police thing. But it's some serious bullplop when people claim a bunch of teams, or claim another team as soon as their #1 hits slightly hard times. You're there in hard times, you're there in good times, that's basically being a fan.

You don't have to HATE every other team, I certainly don't. Only one I genuinely despise would probably be the Packers. No, I don't hate everyone who is a Packers fan, I have friends and family who are, nobody's talking about hating the other teams' fans.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I have one main team in every sport. (not NBA, but thats not a sport)

But, i have other teams i like, pull for when they play anyone but my one MAIN team, own jerseys and such for. I dont think thats wrong.

I like watching NFL so much, I have a handfull of teams I cheer for, follow, and enjoy seeign them win.

But i agree with one needing to pick their ONE team per sport that is their heart choice, to prevent bandwaggoneers. (thats a lot of double letters. Like bookkeeper)

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Hockey: Minnesota Wild (always will be the Minnesota team)

Baseball: Minnesota Twins (again minnesota)

Football:

-NFL I don't have a fav NFL team.

-College: Always will be University of Hawai'i

Basketball: Dont' follow it but always love to hear about how the t-wolves are.

Soccer: don't watch it, don't really care.

spacer.png

Damn, this post blew up.

About my sig: I grew up in Minnesota, currently go to school @ UWM. The Gophers are my team in college football/hockey, and always will be. I still pull for them in college hoops, but I honestly care more about the Panthers chances in the Horizon League than the Gophers in the Big Ten. Seeing as how they're in two different conferences and have never (to my knowledge) played each other, I think I'm good. It's not like being a Michigan and an Ohip State fan. FYI, UWM has no football/hockey teams.

I don't think it's bandwagon hopping if you had a college team growing up, and then went to college somewhere different, espescially if they aren't conference rivals.

You're allowed to do whatever you want, I was being sarcastic with the whole police thing. But it's some serious bullplop when people claim a bunch of teams, or claim another team as soon as their #1 hits slightly hard times. You're there in hard times, you're there in good times, that's basically being a fan.

You don't have to HATE every other team, I certainly don't. Only one I genuinely despise would probably be the Packers. No, I don't hate everyone who is a Packers fan, I have friends and family who are, nobody's talking about hating the other teams' fans.

i understand your whole 1-team thing, as long as it's 1-favorite-team-per-league...

that's what i was asking. i'm honestly a stars/titans/mavericks/red sox/rovers fan, for various reasons... either my home team (stars/mavs), my favorite player currently or used to play there (titans/rovers), or i was born in the area (red sox)...

so is that acceptable? :) or do i have to be a stars fan, and can't be a football fan because i'm a stars fan, and i'm only allowed 1 team?

I root for multiple teams but ones that pretty much never play each other.

Bruins, Oilers

WSU, Texas

Red Sox, Padres

Chargers, Patriots

I see nothing wrong with that.

If you're gonna root for more than one team in a particular sport, you've gotta root for them equally. Don't just get on and off because the team is winning at the moment. I'm not down with that. However, colleges are a different situation. If you grew up in an area and like a team or teams from the region, thats cool. Also, if you're a student or alumn of a different school, then i don't mind that either.

Just stick with your team. It's all about loyalty.

My Teams:

NFL - New York Jets

NBA - Dallas Mavericks

MLB - Chicago Cubs

NHL - Edmonton Oilers

College - Univ. of Colorado

6uXNWAo.png

I've always thought of myself as a hypocrite on this subject. I love baseball, always have, always will. Every other sport comes 2nd. Because of that, I always watched whatever games I could find on cable growing up. I loved the Royals, because that was the team I was raised on. They always sucked though, so they were never on TV. That basically left 2 options...Braves on TBS, and Cubs on WGN. The Cardinals were also on local radio, so I listened to quite a few of their games too (Man, I still miss Jack though).

MLB: 1)Royals-No matter how bad it gets, I still get dragged in everynight by Denny in the hope that somehow, someway it'll get turned around

2)Cardinals-Locality and a polar opposite from my #1 team on how to run a franchise

3a)Cubs-Probably just wish I could flip on the TV one day and hear Harry mispronounce a couple names again like when I was little

3b)Braves-When I was younger, the only time my dad would let me watch entire games was in the postseason, and they were always there and winning. (Well, at least they were always there :D )

3c)Everyone else-Does it make me a bad person to say I've sat through an entire Rockies-Brewers game in September and enjoyed it?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Soccer - Oxford United (My local team)

Football - Redskins (DC Represent)

Hockey - Caps (DC Represent)

Baseball - Nats (just started following MLB this year) (DC Represent)

Basketball - Magic first and foremost (I had relatives in Florida, and when the NBA made it to English TV, I rooted for the florida teams, but I hated the Heat's unis, ergo Magic fan), a sneaking admiration for the Wizards (DC Represent)

I like all of the South Florida pro teams (Marlins, Panthers, Heat, Dolphins) because I live in South Florida and grew up down here. I like all of the Milwaukee area teams (Brewers, Bucks, Packers) because my whole family is from Milwaukee, and probably 80% of my family is still there. I go to a Brewers game per year when I visit. I like the Gators because I went there, but I also like the Badgers because my parents, and the rest of my fam went there.

On a sidenote I was born in Palo Alto, so if forced to based on playoffs or whatever, I've been known to root for the A's or Giants in baseball. I've also been known to pull for the Suns and D-Backs b/c my Uncle lives there. However, these are short lived and only in necesity when nobody is left due to elimination!

So that's my point is that we al have allegiances to alot of different teams because our families are spread out so we incorporate our families teams with our own.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Might as well list mine here...

MLB--Grew up a Mets fan (which is an accomplishment seeing that both my parents are die hard Yanks fans...guess I did it to be different :lol: )...adpoted the Twins once they put their AA club in New Britain (about 40 min. east of where I am). The fact that I've seen most of the roster make their way to the Show with a little stop in Hard Hittin' New Britain kinda doesn't hurt. The only other team I go out of my way to root for is the Tigers, but I shelve it when they play the Twins or Mets....

NFL--The Jets have always been my faves and always will be. This was the first team I really started rooting for....I go back to the days of Richard Todd at QB, Freeman McNeil in the backfield, Wesley Walker being the primary deep threat, and it was all about the NY Sack Exchange (Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko, Marty Lyons, and Abdul Salaam).....I do have an NFC team, and that's the Lions...thank Barry Sanders for that :lol:

NBA--Pistons through and through..and it dates back to the Bad Boys era. I didn't mind the Celts when Larry Bird was playing for them, despite the wars with the Pistons in the glory days, and didn't mind the Sixers when Barkley was there either....

NHL--Grew up a Whalers fan, but cut ties with the organization after the move to Raleigh. The Rangers were my backup team (thanks to my dad...BIG Rangers fan) and moved into the #1 slot once the Whale made their way down Tobacco Road. My other favorite team in the NHL is whoever's playing the Icelanders :lol:

AHL--Don't really follow it as much as I did in the past, but if I did, I'd be a Hartford Wolfpack fan. Gotta support those future Rangers.

UHL--Danbury Trashers all the way here...seeing they've been around for one season, I guess I can say I've been with them since the start....don't mind the Motor City Mechanics (mostly has to do with the fact that they came into the bar across the street from the arena in Danbury after a game there one night and a bunch of us Danbury fans ended up drinking and joking around with them...very cool bunch of guys and easy to like).

Colleges--It's pretty much UConn for anything Big East (football and hoops)...it's kind of the state religion here in Connecticut. Big 10 wise, I'm a Michigan State fan....ACC? Maryland. Don't mind USC in football....basketball wise, at tourney time, I root for Big East teams....

EPL--Kinda starting to get into it...I'd probably say I prefer Manchester United, but I don't mind Chelsea or Liverpool all that much...usually, I get the odd EPL game or the weekly highlights package on FSNY or MSG.

==========================================

PS--rockchalk...I think I got you beat...I sat through a Rockies/Tigers game in 2003 (the Rockies were horrid in their own right, but the Tigers were a bad team for the ages that year) and had a blast :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Generalizing about anything is absolutely always wrong... err... did I just generalize in a statement of anti-generalization? :wacko:

Speaking from personal experience, though, let me say that the single greatest thing about sticking with a team through the good and bad is that when the good happens, it's worth much more.

I know fans who jump for the flavor of the season, or the flavor of the playoffs, or the flavor of the championship game every year. So what does it mean to them when say, "their" Patriots win the Superbowl. Well, not a whole lot when last year their favorite team was the Ravens or the Broncos or the 49ers or the Cowboys or the Steelers.

Now take those Patriots fans who rooted for the team when it was 1-15. They've built up a lot of frustration and when their time comes around, it all gets let loose. These are the fans that talk about the "glory years" in the midst of slumping seasons. The bandwagon fans don't have these kinds of memories because they've already jumped ship to the next promising team.

There's something to be said for allegiance and in my opinion, part of being a sports fan is losing as well as winning. If you don't know what it feels like to lose, how much can you really care if you win?

Damn, this post blew up.

About my sig: I grew up in Minnesota, currently go to school @ UWM.  The Gophers are my team in college football/hockey, and always will be.  I still pull for them in college hoops, but I honestly care more about the Panthers chances in the Horizon League than the Gophers in the Big Ten.  Seeing as how they're in two different conferences and have never (to my knowledge) played each other, I think I'm good.  It's not like being a Michigan and an Ohip State fan.  FYI, UWM has no football/hockey teams.

You're allowed to do whatever you want, I was being sarcastic with the whole police thing.  But it's some serious bullplop when people claim a bunch of teams, or claim another team as soon as their #1 hits slightly hard times.  You're there in hard times, you're there in good times, that's basically being a fan.

You don't have to HATE every other team, I certainly don't.  Only one I genuinely despise would probably be the Packers.  No, I don't hate everyone who is a Packers fan, I have friends and family who are, nobody's talking about hating the other teams' fans.

i understand your whole 1-team thing, as long as it's 1-favorite-team-per-league...

that's what i was asking. i'm honestly a stars/titans/mavericks/red sox/rovers fan, for various reasons... either my home team (stars/mavs), my favorite player currently or used to play there (titans/rovers), or i was born in the area (red sox)...

so is that acceptable? :) or do i have to be a stars fan, and can't be a football fan because i'm a stars fan, and i'm only allowed 1 team?

Wow, I guess you're really on the sarcasm tip. If you're not being sarcastic, please read the rest of the thread.

And I fuly agree that the best part about having your team is that when the good does finally happen, you were there all along. Sure I'm pulling for Phoenix to win the NBA Championship, and I'll be glad if they do, but it's nowhere near the level it would be if this was last year with the T-Wolves.

I'm saying you have your team (and yes, that's one per sport), and, with few exceptions, that's your team for better or worse.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Detroit: Im just a casual fan, and i have always kind of felt sorry for them so i root for them whenever they are on.

Bucfan don't root for them because you feel bad for them when you watch them. Root for them because of their grand history of their franchise, They're not one of the original American League Teams for nothing. Also another reason to root for them is their future, trust me if it's not this year it will be next year that they win the division and hopefully the World Series.

Now onto why I root for one than one team, it has nothing to do with bandwagoning, it has to do with where I am from. I am from Flint, Michigan so I am fans of the Tigers, Redwings, Lions, and Pistons. Plus I am a diehard Michigan Wolverines Fanatic. But since I was raised in Glendale, Arizona all my life, I am also a fan of the Diamondbacks, Suns, Coyotes, and Cardinals. But since I have a degree in broadcasting from Arizona State University, and a minor in hot women ;). I am a Sun Devil fan. I will also be in Detroit this weekend to watch the Diamondbacks play the Tigers which will be exciting because this is the 4th year of going to every single game in Phoenix and Detroit. Of course i'm going for Detroit in every game.

Of course don't call me a bandwagoner either because I am far from that, I have stuck by my Tigers and even the Diamondbacks when they had their worst seasons ever. I have rooted for the Pistons ever since I can remember, and have been a Lions fan all my life even when they went 2-14. So of course I will root for 2 teams from each league, but when they play each other, I will root for the Detroit teams because I am a Detroit fan first and formost.

lilg, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Nothing wrong with having 2 teams! If you have 3 in a particular sport/league, then I might take issue with it. However, If you got 2 teams, you gotta root for one when they play.

As for me, just like lilg, I have two in nearly every sport basically because I was born in NY, raised in Michigan since the age of 2, and have lived in NY for the last 14 years. So, I love the Tigers and Yankees, Pistons & Knicks, Lions and Eagles, Wings and Sabres. Michigan fan but Syracuse grad so I can root for two schools.

Plus, when you're father and grandpa were big enough yankee fans to actaully name you after one like they did with me.....you've got to root for the team.

If you're an Ohio State AND Michigan fan...then you've got serious problems!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived