New Marquette Nickname

Cujo

Here is the official MU ballot.  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for the Voyagers. I'd have been even more enthusuiastic about it if they'd gone with Voyageurs as an extra "tip-of-the-hat" to Marquette's being a French explorer. I rank the ten names as follows:

1) Marquette University Voyagers

2) Marquette University Explorers

3) Marquette University Saints

4) Marquette University Golden Eagles

5) Marquette University Golden Knights

6) Marquette University Hilltoppers

7) Marquette University Wolves

8) Marquette University Blue and Gold

9) Marquette University Golden Avalanche

10) Marquette University Spirit

I voted for the spirit for the following reasons:

A name like the "Marquette University Golden Eagles" is very long dont you think?

And a name like that doesn't even flow, in fact, not many existing do. The only ones i can tihnk of right now that flow are the New York Knickerbokers and the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Seattle Supersonics. You have to be careful when chosing a long name like that and make sure it flows.

I didn't pick Saints over Spirit because I'm not religious =\. I really dont like any of the names on the poll but if I had to chose it would be spirit. It can be interpreted as patriotic or defiant or whatever... kinda related to the voyagers but voyagers doesnt flow well either

There was no need for Marquette to change their nickname from Golden Eagles in the first place (especially to the Gold) unless they were going to revert back to being the Warriors.

6uXNWAo.png

Well I voted for 'Golden Eagles', because if anyone else read Steve Rushin's column in the latest Sports Illustrated, they wouldn't want to get a giant 'Golden Eagles' tattoo for nothing! :D

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

If I wasn't being serious, I'd vote for Markette Arrogant Flatlanders :D

in all seriousness, though, I almost feel sorry for that guy who got him a golden eagle tat, so Golden Eagles it is.

oh, and if you can hear me Rushin, MU always gives us Badgers reason to laugh at you bums hysterically :P;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel goes into the nickname backgrounds a little bit further. Actually, some of the background is pretty enlightening:

Blue and Gold was the name for the school's football team from 1892-1916 and represents the school's colors.

Golden Avalanche was the name given to the football team from 1924-'37.

From 1917 to 1954, Marquette called its teams the Hilltoppers.

The Explorers is a reference to Father Jacques Marquette, the Jesuit missionary and explorer.

Golden Knights, the school said, is a reference to the Jesuits in Wisconsin. The old Campion Jesuit High School in Prairie du Chien used knights as its nickname for 95 years.

Saints makes reference to the two saints with ties to Marquette: St. Ignatius, the founder of the Jesuits, and St. Joan of Arc, the namesake of the chapel on campus.

Spirit, in the committee's estimation, captures the character and energy of the student-athletes and coaches, and the enthusiasm of students, alumni and fans.

The committee felt that Voyagers were people who take risks and explore new horizons.

And finally there is Wolves. A wolf is a part of the crest of the family of St. Ignatius Loyola. And a wolf also appears on the official crest of Marquette.

Also, Michael Hunt ranks the nickname options in today's J-S.

I voted for the Voyagers. I'd have been even more enthusuiastic about it if they'd gone with Voyageurs as an extra "tip-of-the-hat" to Marquette's being a French explorer. I rank the ten names as follows:

Damn, I thought I was the only one thinking that! It ties into the history of the university (and the region) and could make for a unique visual identity...

QPR%20Sig.png

Damn, I thought I was the only one thinking that! It ties into the history of the university (and the region) and could make for a unique visual identity...

I think nicknames Voyagers and Explorers are good names for any sports team if given the right place. I think they will work really well with Marquette. I think a good logo for Voyagers would include an integrated V into the M.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived