2006 MLB All-Star Game Logo unveiling today(8/2)

SoxSteeler

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After vomiting over that logo now for a day, I almost got sick thinking of what maybe they have in mind for the HR derby jerseys. Green with purple sleeves? Red with a rainbow sleeve? In all seriousness, I'm betting AL black with yellow letters, red trim and the NL Yellow with black letters red trim. I think the red should be replaced by white, but it won't be.

KISSwall09.jpg

I mean, why not just have Andy Warhol design it from his grave.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the Quote of the Week.

Seriously, I'm not a big fan of the logo. It's okay in a Dick Tracy comic book sort of way. But really, does anyone think this will translate well to a stitched patch? I sure don't...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I'm not crazy about the logo, but don't think it's all bad. It's a change of pace from the style of logos that have been rampant lately - fierce, swooshy, full of movement, etc., with cutting black lines and the like.

I personally think his actual 'art' work is more horrifying than this logo, and explaining its in the same vein as the Pop Movement of the 60's is quite a stretch. The work is mostly illustrative and style heavy, with not much substance at all. The Pop Movement played off the grandiose and overblown artistic nature of the Abstract Expressionists and its emptiness spotlighted and played off the other extreme of the movement that jsut occurred. To still try to produce pop paintings today and say its related is a phallacy.

Now, back to the logos, I can imagine the secondary being a lightpole banner hung throughout town, and the logo would make a nice t-sirt design to plaster across the fans of the game who need to buy some merchandise. Sure the logo isn't as crisp and boiled down to the few elements that today's logos have chruned out en force lately, but does the All Star logo need to have the quick read/ferocious style of a team's identity?

Also, the game patch resolves a lot of the issues people have brought up with the logo - too busy, too many colors, and as a package, everything looks pretty good overall. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but not really deserving of the puke icons and such of the past few posts.

Did you get that from a coloring book?

my first thought too.

after reviewing posts and looking at it again, it does look like it came from 1979.

It has that whole 70's thing goling for it with the bold black outline and colors.

If this was the intention, then it's great. But even if it was the intention I have to ask, why?

There's nothing pop-art andy warhol about it.

I like it. It is is different, and I like that. It had more of a convention or local fair quality to it, and I think thats what an All-Star Game should be, make it feel like an event is coming to the city. I'll definitly remember this one, and I couldn't tell you what anyone other than the Milwaukee one looks like over the last couple seasons. So I say good for the Pirates for trying something different. Its just an all-star game logo anyway.

Anyone wanna bet that the sleeve patch is eventually phased in as the main logo?

I sure as hell hope not. That sleeve/uniform patch looks like a lobotomized version of the primary logo. If you're just going to have a wordmark with crossed bats represent your city's All-Star Game visually, what's the point?

QPR%20Sig.png

The thing is, this design is often used in Pittsburgh artwork. i can't figure it out, it may be the same designer, but that type of art is all over Pittsburgh. I saw the logo at the ballpark for the first time today and i didn't like it, but it's growing on me. Sure, it looks a bit like a coloring book, but why does the all star game have to look like a death match? It's a game on a light summer's day, chilling. I feel welcomed by the logo, I dunno, I'm just used to the design style I guess.

Abbey.jpg

Aside from having a tad too many colours, this is actually a really nice logo. Sure, it's not the sharp/pointy style we're used to, but I don't mind that at all. I especially like the secondary rectangular version--reminds me of something you'd see on a t-shirt for an event such as a marathon, etc. Very cool.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived