Fox Sports Top 10 Throwbacks

footballfiji

10. Houston Astros ? This, of course, is the age of irony, so it's perfectly appropriate to pay homage to a few "so bad they're good" uniforms from days of yore. The rainbow uniforms of the 1980's Houston Astros are hard to beat.

4872534_7_1.jpg

9. Vancouver Canucks ? Twenty odd years ago the Canucks laid to rest a style of uniform that can best be described as "candy corn dipped in poop." On nights they didn't inflict those upon unsuspecting fans, they wore all yellow. Want to save the NHL? Bring these loveable atrocities back howling from the vaults.

8. San Diego Chargers ? The powder blues ... God bless 'em. When your star player's nickname is "Bambi," it's somehow fitting that your uniforms make you look like smurfs.

4872512_7_1.jpg

7. Pittsburgh Pirates ? Did the all-yellow outfits with the cylindrical lids make the 70s Pirates look more like bumble bees or tacos? That's for the historians to decide, but every young man should have one of those caps.

4872532_7_1.jpg

6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers ? Why in the world did the Bucs abandon those unspeakably cool "orange sherbet" unis? Sure, maybe they resembled Tara Reid's vomit after a long night of Jagr bombs, but let's not hold that against them.

4872536_7_1.jpg

5. Chicago White Sox ? Former Sox owner Bill Veeck was an innovator in many ways, but never was he more inspired than when he forced his charges to wear short pants and collared shirts. Another selection from the "so bad it's good" department.

4. Buffalo Bills ? What a joy to see the Jack Kemp-era threads once again. Even better, no Jack Kemp in sight. Do the right thing and keep them around.

4872566_7_1.jpg

3. Atlanta Hawks ? Basketball uniforms of the 70s, with their trademark, "scrotum-nustling" shorts, are bad enough. Make them lime green, and they're even worse. And by "even worse" we mean "awesome."

2. Baltimore Orioles ? Which bird would you rather have on your cap? The smiling one that looks like he's four beers into the evening, or the one that resembles a tepid pen-and-ink from a James Audubon field manual? We miss that darn smiling bird.

1. New England Patriots ? That Patrick Henry guy (or whoever he was) on the helmet loved America, played center and was pissed about something tyrannical just across the line of scrimmage. The Pats dumped these classics for the fashion-forward tripe they now wear? That's just criminal. 4872582_7_1.jpg

That Patrick Henry guy (or whoever he was) on the helmet loved America, played center and was pissed about something tyrannical just across the line of scrimmage.

Absolute genius. :lol:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I have no problem with 6 of the 10. I am on the fence with the Pirates. The rest gotta go. Take away The White Sox, Astros, and Canucks and you have a great start. I thought the old Hawks jerseys were way cool. I think a blue jersey with those old Patriots unis would have looked incredible. :D

BB52Big.jpg

picking the top ten throwback uniforms is kinda like picking the top ten piles of dog crap out from a yard full of dog crap isnt it?

Yes and no. I mean, there were some classic jerseys in the past.

None of these ten were classic. NONE.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

picking the top ten throwback uniforms is kinda like picking the top ten piles of dog crap out from a yard full of dog crap isnt it?

Have to disagree. The Chargers' powder blues are classics...one of the best sports uni's ever.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Have to disagree. The Chargers' powder blues are classics...one of the best sports uni's ever.

I disagree. The lack of contrast , the lame-o numbers on the helmet... it all looks like a thrown-together mess.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It woulda been nice if the Buccs had won the Super Bowl wearing those unis. I still remember the abuse heaped on me for being the only kid in school to wear a Buccs jacket, and living 1000 miles from Florida!

I still love all those old Pirates uniforms. They had 9 different uni combos, and in a 162-game season that's fine with me.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

7. Pittsburgh Pirates ? Did the all-yellow outfits with the cylindrical lids make the 70s Pirates look more like bumble bees or tacos? That's for the historians to decide, but every young man should have one of those caps.

At least the Pirates were in all-yellow only once a week or so ... if you could keep track of which combo they were wearing.

nl_1978_pittsburgh.gif

I wonder, is this image just a sampling of the combinations? Did they ever wear yellow/black or pinstripe/yellow? Could you have pinstripe pants with a solid color jersey? And I recall seeing yellow sanitary socks for use under the black stirrups. And with two caps, this could lead to dozens of combinations. (Actually, I did the math and - including undershirts - there are 108 combinations!)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

MAN, I do miss these. These uniforms are why I started rooting for the Bucs. I like their modern stuff, but these were awesome. I wish they would still use these once in a while. :cry:

My sentiments exactly. The Bucs did a good job on their new identity, but I loved these uniforms.

Best

helmet

ever

Bucco Bruce was great and it was sad to see him go.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Did they ever wear yellow/black or pinstripe/yellow? Could you have pinstripe pants with a solid color jersey?

I'm certain they wore yellow/black. I seem to recall seeing that at a Cubs game at Wrigley. Not very complimentary for the larger players like Parker ... or the thinner players like Tekulve ... or, for that matter, anyone else.

Pinstripe pants and a black jersey would be fine. Pinstripe pants and a yellow jersey would not.

Packers-2.png

I think we've gone from "ugly but cool" to "awesomely bad." But what about Chelsea 1985? The River City Rascals? The 1994 U.S. men's soccer team? The Charlotte Checkers? Or, God forbid, the Russian hockey team whose colors are black gold, red, blue, and white?

At least the Pirates were in all-yellow only once a week or so ... if you could keep track of which combo they were wearing.

nl_1978_pittsburgh.gif

I wonder, is this image just a sampling of the combinations? Did they ever wear yellow/black or pinstripe/yellow? Could you have pinstripe pants with a solid color jersey? And I recall seeing yellow sanitary socks for use under the black stirrups. And with two caps, this could lead to dozens of combinations. (Actually, I did the math and - including undershirts - there are 108 combinations!)

The High School (1985-1988) I went to had those Pirates uni's. Our Varsity homes where the blacks tops with the White, Black Yellow pin pants. It actually looked good.

What sucked was having to wear the all Yellows in practice.... Away we wore whites with plain white pants, with just a side strip on the leg.

No we did not have the box hats, but I did have those when I played little league as Pirate.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Archived