Boise State's blue field

ltravisjr

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DO any of you know why they decided to have it blue?

http://www.dailyorange.com/media/paper522/...ce-752999.shtml

Man it's too bad the truth about the origin of the blue turf has emerged. It kinda kills my post but I'll share it anyway.

I heard this crazy story that the blue turf was the result of the migratory habits of Canadian Geese. The story goes that the Boise State stadium is right in the flight path of thousands of Canadian geese who head south for the winter every fall. The geese would make a mess of the football field because they landed on it all the time thinking it was real grass. They would use the field as a rest stop so to speak and no one wanted to play on the field after the birds had left their numerous calling cards. Some research was done on Canadian geese and it was discovered that they wouldn't "relieve themselves" over water. Boise State decided blue turf would solve the problem because from the air the geese would mistake the field for water and keep on going looking for a shore to land on. Thus the blue turf was born.

Nice urban legend.

Oh and for the record, I really like the blue turf. I too have often wondered why more teams that have artificial turf haven't gone with their team colors. Imagine the possibilities. Orange turf in the Carrier Dome for one.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe I will get used to it, but right now, I think the "artificialness" of it is what gets to me. I guess I am like John Madden, who prefers real grass, grass stains, mud, and all the elements of outside weather. True, green turf is just as artifical as blue, but at least it "looks" more natural to me, especially with modern grassy looking turf. Now, the old astroturf like they had in all those circular 1970's stadiums - that was godawful and didn't look natural at all. They could have colored it tutti-frutti for all I cared.

I'm also more of the traditionalist. Football should be played on green grass. The blue thing is a nice college thing for them, but when I watch it on tv I constantly think that the color's screwed up, and it bugs the hell out of me the whole game. I really hope this doesn't lead to a bunch of red, purples, etc colored fields. :blink:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Maybe I will get used to it, but right now, I think the "artificialness" of it is what gets to me. ...

Making artificial turf green does not make it any less artificial.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

People keep saying "I'm surprised more schools don't do this (color their turf)"

Just thought that I would add this:

In 1986, shortly after Boise State created the blue turf the NCAA outlawed any playing surface other than green and Bronco Stadium has been grandfathered in since then.

They have replaced the original Blue twice- in 1995 and in 2003.

So there will be no orange turf in the Carrier dome or a red field in the horseshoe.

fade.gif

Most important innovations in football:

1. The forward pass

2. The blue turf @ Boise State

3. Everything else

BSU's blue turf is probably the best thing in sports today, and I say this with no hyperbole.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

So there will be no orange turf in the Carrier dome or a red field in the horseshoe.

Too bad. I would have loved to see that orange field in Syracuse. Better yet how about a burnt orange field in Austin? Oh well...

Oh and by the way... it would be a scarlet field in the horseshoe not a red one.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived