Boise State's blue field

ltravisjr

This probably isn't a new surface this year for Boise State, but with the game on ESPN last night it was the first time I saw it and my reaction can only be described as :shocked: .

I am sure this blue field has been brought up in this community before, but I just wondered what everyone thought about it. Personally, I don't think I will be able to get used to it.

rabb_bgsu.jpg

LT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its novelty wore out awhile ago, IMO. It's hard on the eyes on TV at least, it almost hurts to watch the game itself. I'll usually watch any college football game on TV b/c I love football, but I think I watching old Friends episodes on TBS instead last night.

Blue turf sucks...

Personally I love it. Its unique and one of the greatest games I've ever been too was the Humanitarian Bowl in 2001 (Clemson vs. La Tech) where it was snowing most the game and the contrast looks pretty sweet. When you are there in person it looks totally different then on TV.

i love it and on top of what everyone else has said--i think its fair to say that the smurf turf went a long way to putting boise st. on the map. the school/team became known for something and that "notariety" helps in exposure which helps in recruiting and other things as well..

everton.png

I am sure this blue field has been brought up in this community before, but I just wondered what everyone thought about it. Personally, I don't think I will be able to get used to it.

You don't think you will be able to get used to it? How long have they had it? At least 1 season.

You know this isn't that new...

Boise State established a first in 1986 by installing the first blue Astro Turf field. The second blue Astro Turf was installed in 1995.

^from broncosports.com.

Personally I love it. I mean, how good does this aerial look?

brstadium.jpg

Also a big fan of their basketball court, but that's a whole other discussion.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I am sure this blue field has been brought up in this community before, but I just wondered what everyone thought about it.  Personally, I don't think I will be able to get used to it.

You don't think you will be able to get used to it? How long have they had it? At least 1 season.

Try 19.

One of my favorite anectdotes about BSU's smurf turf was back when they hired Pokey Allen as their head coach. Knowing the good humor that Allen and many of his old Portland State friends had, he allegedly was the mastermind behind the rumor that birds would try to land on the field thinking it was really a lake! :D

Long live Pokey and long live the smurf turf...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Knowing the good humor that Allen and many of his old Portland State friends had, he allegedly was the mastermind behind the rumor that birds would try to land on the field thinking it was really a lake! :D

Oh, they landed on it safely -- it's the ones who thought it was water and thought they could go in head-first.

Rumor? This is too good to be simply rumor! :D

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I think more teams should do this, but I also think there should be a list of colors to choose from so it doesnt get out of hand and we end up with yellow or orange fields.

I agree that the aerial looks great, though, the field looks kinda dirty on the near side between the 20s. I dislike the track around the field. I like stadiums in which the audience is right on top of the field, like 20-30 feet off the sideline, and real steep bleachers. It really intimidates the opposing team to be so enclosed like that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think more teams should do this, but I also think there should be a list of colors to choose from so it doesnt get out of hand and we end up with yellow or orange fields.

On the contrary...

I think Boise State should go to an Orange Field. Artificual turf is nothing like grass, so why color it green. Everyone should have to have a turf in their team's own color, but NOBODY should use green.

The Jets can use white.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DO any of you know why they decided to have it blue?

probably because that is their color and there were 100 other schools also using green grass, so they figured hey let's be different. Ask yourself this, would there be a yearly bowl game in Boise if the grass was green?

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Archived