Bad Call Umps...

JQK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe Josh Paul (Angels catcher) should have just tagged AJ Pierzynski (batter who ran towards first).  You know, to make things official ...

Just a thought ...

I'm pretty sure he would have had the ball actually hit the ground, which it clearly did not.

6uXNWAo.png

Maybe Josh Paul (Angels catcher) should have just tagged AJ Pierzynski (batter who ran towards first).  You know, to make things official ...

Just a thought ...

I'm pretty sure he would have had the ball actually hit the ground, which it clearly did not.,

Listen. Catcher's are the ones that know if the ball hits the ground or not. Obviously it didn't because he made no attempt to first. The catcher's the only one that really knows what happened, so obviously, it didn't hit the ground.

teamsnew2.png

This call isn't as bad as the one in the 1985 series. Cards v. Royals.

I forget the 1st base umpires name (our friends in the Lou will know), but he blew an out-safe call at first and it wasn't even close.

** Don Dekinger! Yeah, that's him! **

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

It was a bad call, no doubt about it. But let's suppose the Sox win in 7...

Then you'll ask yourself "would they have won game 2 without that call?" The answer...Nobody knows.

So let's not act like Anaheim would have won no matter what. We'd be going into the top of the 10th. Flip a coin as to who would have won...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too:

The rule is this (I'm sure someone will get the actual rule out but this is how i've understood it) and I've seen it a hundred times.

On the third strike, whether its a called strike or a swinging strike if the catcher drops, traps, or the ball goes past him, then the runner can advance to first. The ball must go from pitchers hand to catcher's glove uninterrupted.

On the replay (and you can probably watch it again and again) the ball clearly bounces UP into the glove of the Angels catcher. It hits the dirt first. Thus the rule goes into effect.

Instead of blaming the umps blame the Angels catcher for not doing what is taught since Little League. If you are catching and the third strike is given then simply tag the batter. That's all yu have to do. Get up and tag him. Keep you head in the game.

Comend the White Sox for keeping their heads in the game.

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too:

The rule is this (I'm sure someone will get the actual rule out but this is how i've understood it) and I've seen it a hundred times.

On the third strike, whether its a called strike or a swinging strike if the catcher drops, traps, or the ball goes past him, then the runner can advance to first. The ball must go from pitchers hand to catcher's glove uninterrupted.

On the replay (and you can probably watch it again and again) the ball clearly bounces UP into the glove of the Angels catcher. It hits the dirt first. Thus the rule goes into effect.

Instead of blaming the umps blame the Angels catcher for not doing what is taught since Little League. If you are catching and the third strike is given then simply tag the batter. That's all yu have to do. Get up and tag him. Keep you head in the game.

Comend the White Sox for keeping their heads in the game.

Which is good... except it doesn't touch the ground. If that was the case, the ball would've kicked up dirt and after having watched the replay no less than 37 times... there is no dirt being kicked up. It looks to me like the apparent change in direction is because it hits the thick part of the catchers glove and then goes into the main part, for lack of a better term. The catcher would know if it hit the ground, and would be sure to tag him.

Besides, even if you're right... the fact that the umpire made the signal for an out. That right there should be it... done deal... end of inning.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just to clarify the rule..

Rule 6.05 THE BATTER

A batter is out when......

(B ) A third strike is legally caught by the catcher; "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is caught by the catcher on the rebound. If a foul tip first strikes the catcher's glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher's glove or hand first. © A third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out;

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

There's no way it bounced guys... ANYONE who has ever been a catcher (and I was one for 6 years -- actually on the same team as zer0dotcom) knows the first thing you do if you even suspect the ball hit the ground is tag the batter. Little Leaguers know this, so are you going to question a Major Leaguer omitting that?

In my eyes the ball was clearly in his glove.

There was a slight re-direction, but anyone who has ever worn a catcher's mitt would know why there was a re-direction.

The umpire signalled the batter OUT... The players left the field. The batter ran to first after he was called out and after the players had started to leave the field and after the catcher made the customary ball toss to the pitcher's mound.

You can't call a third out, and then say everyone's safe after the players have started to change.

Would a football player be allowed to run it in for a touchdown while the defensive team is changing to offence, after an umpire signals a turnover on downs?

That just ain't right folks.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

posted this in the other thread, I'll post it again here

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005..._jim&id=2189660

article on ESPN with interviews form players and coaches

Ya need to re-jig that URL, you included the elipsis in there :)

---

Chris Creamer

The umpire signalled the batter OUT...

Here's the problem, and they actually changed their tune from last night's Baseball Tonight to this morning's SportsCenter... Home plate Umpire Doug Eddings "strike" call is exactly the same as his "you're out" call. If you watched the midnight Baseball Tonight, they were hammering Eddings, saying that he clearly gave the "you're out" signal; however, when I watched the SportsCenter replay this morning, the Baseball Tonight crew had a different take, saying that Eddings mechanics are the same for both calls, citing replays from earlier in the game supporting this claim.

And for those of you that want replay - the standard that applies in the NFL would likely apply here as well - it has to be conclusive, and clearly with some change of direction acknowledeged by both sides of the arguement, they would not be able to overturn the call on the field...

Moose

I thought it came on the bounce.

And I'm cheering for the Angels.

I've seen it on ESPN twice, and it's hard to tell.

But to me, it looked like he took it on the bounce.

Maybe it's time you mixed in one of these:

43069_EYE_CHART.JPG

6uXNWAo.png

The umpire signalled the batter OUT...

Here's the problem, and they actually changed their tune from last night's Baseball Tonight to this morning's SportsCenter... Home plate Umpire Doug Eddings "strike" call is exactly the same as his "you're out" call. If you watched the midnight Baseball Tonight, they were hammering Eddings, saying that he clearly gave the "you're out" signal; however, when I watched the SportsCenter replay this morning, the Baseball Tonight crew had a different take, saying that Eddings mechanics are the same for both calls, citing replays from earlier in the game supporting this claim.

And for those of you that want replay - the standard that applies in the NFL would likely apply here as well - it has to be conclusive, and clearly with some change of direction acknowledeged by both sides of the arguement, they would not be able to overturn the call on the field...

Moose

did he not make a signal before that... the standard "batter swung and so it's obviously a strike" call.

I've never seen an umpire make two different strike 3 calls, one of which looks the same as an out call and occurs a lot longer after a regular strike 3 call.

---

Chris Creamer

Archived