Cole Fixes the Entire NHL in This Thread!

ColeJ

I could, (and eventually may) comment on most of these, however for now let me just comment that the Buffalo Sabers road (white) jersey is the best Sabres concept that I have ever seen.

My level of contempt for the red/black jerseys is ever so high, but on the other hand, I was not a fan of the old blue/gold version either. Great work!

BroncosSig.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a few other replies, I have little time right now to comment on all of these, but a few of my favorites are:

--Return to Senators black home with original crest (and, I'm assuming, tri-colored sleeve numbers....beautiful!)

--Re-colored Oilers alt...very nice!

--Habs alt...love that Heritage Classic look

--Stars alt...though I dislike the Stars, that "Texas-D" logo makes a much better crest than the Mooterus!

--entire Sabres concept...well done

--Lightning alt...another team I hate (Go Flames!), but this alt logo is much nicer than their current crest

Overall, great work...and it is nice to see a fully-executed league-wide concept without the pre-release teasing, as Cole mentioned.

Great work. My only complaint is that you got rid of one of the best underused logos in the half tower/half leaf of the Sens. That should be on there somewhere. Get rid of the Trojan and slap this on there.

OTT_157.gif

You mean he got rid of one of the worst jersey patches. I don't agree with his choice of going back to the old-style black, but I applaud getting rid of that. Bleh.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

One word, three letters; WOW! Amazing work, i love your way of thinking. I do too think that most of the teams now could use a little improvement on their unis! Only one problem tough, how can we go doing nhl uniforms now!!! lol!

Nice job man

My only concern is with the Leafs. Almost everyone agrees it's time to retire the Ballard leaf, permanently!

The '67 Cup jersey is great, but if you notice the lettering on that leaf is incorrect. That lettering is off the "old" leaf currently used on the white alternate. The font actually used on that "Canadian flag-style leaf" is more rounded and if you see it you'll notice the letter "n" in Toronto is rounded at the top as is the "M" in Maple, resembling the printing style of letters you used in grade school.

I wrote to Chris and pointed this fact out to him but received no response. Go to nhluniforms.com or the hockey sweater museum's web site to see what I'm talking about

GO LEAFS GO! :flagcanada:

:notworthy: , Cole.

In the interest of time and brevity, if I don't make a comment about a given team's set, then I give them my thumbs-up.

ANAHEIM: I'm not a fan of script wordmarks on NHL jerseys. Very collegiate IMO; I'd actually like to see the "MD" logo reworked and tried as an alt crest.

BUFFALO: Is that royal and navy together, or royal and black? Either way, I'm not sure that I like it. It seems to work for the Blues, and I don't know why, but I am not a fan of 2 colors in the same family that are that close to one another in the spectrum being used together. And I'd like to see less buffalo head in the crest - the crossed swords represent the team nickname better without the head getting in the way.

CALGARY: Never liked them in black. They could also get away with a gold alternate IMO, but it would mean you couldn't use the white "C" crest.

CAROLINA: Add the hurricane flag stripe around the wrists on the alt to make the sleeves look more uniform. (BTW, you are 100% right about adding the 2nd flag - nice pick-up.)

COLORADO: What I said about Anaheim's alt, I also mean about numbers on the fronts of hockey sweaters.

COLUMBUS: Extend the circle of stars at the wrist all the way around the sleeve. (One of our local HS teams uses the Jackets' jersey as a template, and it looks odd having a semicircle of red stripe just end halfway around the wrist.)

LOS ANGELES: The striping effects around the shoulder yokes still looks too thick and too gaudy. Triple striping surrounding contrast-colored yokes is overkill. (BTW... like the alternate, LOVE dumping the "LOS ANGELES" around the bottom hem.)

NEW JERSEY: The partial stripes under the arms on the alt don't do it for me. Comes across as disjointed.

NY ISLANDERS: The bottom striping could be done in a way so that every jersey has 3 stripes. As it is now, the white jersey is the only one to have all 3. On the home, the navy stripe is swallowed up by the body of the jersey, and the same happens with the orange stripe on the orange jersey.

OTTAWA: I'd use the laurel-leaf striping on all of them, especially on the home and road primaries, which I always thought were bland. What name/number font is going on the primaries?

PHILADELPHIA: Thank You. Orange is back, and doesn't look hideous the way the present alt does.

PHOENIX: What I said about the side stripes on the Devils' alt, I say about the sleeve striping on the primaries.

SAN JOSE: What I said about the Devils and Coyotes, I say about the Sharks.

My comments are pretty nitpicky and subtle, but all in all, these are great. Spectacular work!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Wow. There is a TON of great work here. Instead of commenting on them all, I'll just pick a few that really stand out.

Anaheim: Perfect. I always LOVED the style that you are using for the home/away. It's a unique look and works well.

Buffalo: I like the compromise here. Modern with the classic colors. Great update.

Columbus: You absolutely made the right decision by going with the flag logo. And the use of silver is well-executed.

Florida: Again, good call going back to the red sweater. Much better than the blue. And I think the yellow could work. It would definitely sell well.

Los Angeles: REALLY diggin' the third.

Ottawa: Love that you went back to the old black sweater. One of my favorites of all time, and it matches the white one, unlike the crazy red swoop thing.

Pittsburgh: The third is kinda predictable, but very well done. It looks great.

Tampa Bay: Superb update. Very unique colors and design. Nothing like it in the NHL right now. Lovely.

Washington: Same as Buffalo. Great blending of eras. Works PERFECTLY for the caps.

Overall, simply amazing work. Some of the best NHL concepts I've seen on these boards in a while.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I'll comment where I may...

Ottawa: the alt rules. however, I hate the white jersey, so by rule I must hate teh black jersey as well.

Avs: I'm all for getting rid of the black, as our darks still feel like road jerseys to me and changing the black trim to silver might just make em finally look like homes. I'll be in the minority and tell ya I love the idea of the third jersey having numbers

Rangers: I'd always liked the Liberty set...heck, I'm thinkin of makin myself a red one for the hell of it. it's one team where tradition sort of handcuffs folks though, but you pulled it off

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Tampa Bay Lightning

TBL.png

I've posted these before, a few other times. The Bolts current uniforms are just so incredibly boring and ugly. I tweaked the colors to give them a really dark stormy look, without just being black and navy. The home and road have been floating around forever, since I designed them a little over a year ago... but I had to come up with an alternate, due to my rules... I decided if any team could pull off a dark grey sweater, it would be a stormy team like the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Lemme start off with my beloved Tampa Bay Lightning. Wow. That's all I can say. Those are magnificent, my friend. I have only a couple comments:

1. LOVE the alternate logo. I've been saying for years that the state of florida and the "tampa bay lightning" script" MUST go away. The bolt by itself is a great logo.

If there is anyway for you to erase the state in the home and aways, and use either that OR the alternate for all 3 jerseys, i would give you a dollar.

2. Where's the Lighting bolts on the pants?! I've always loved that. Very unique, and hell, you brought back the DALLAS on the stars pants................!

3. LOVE the silver, and you're right about the Lightning being the only team able to pull it off.

Again, GREAT job.

.........and now, team by team:

Ana: thank you for fixing the colors. i still dont like the script on the alts. the ducks need to come up with a 2nd logo....thats decent.

Atl: good job. their current alts are putrid.

Bos: whoever thought of winnie the pooh shouldve been fired on the spot. good job.

Buf: i LOVE their current uniforms, but if youre going to change em, you did a nice job. I would switch your home/away logo to the alt though and have the alt be the home/away. Looks to "busy" as is...

Car: Agree with everything you said.

Col: So, what IS a "blue jacket"? I like your design, but am unsure if they represent a "blue jacket", cause well, I dont know what one IS.

Cal: HATE the black C. Hate. Hate. Hate. Shoulda went with your 1st instinct and went with white. Otherwise, they didnt need much change.

Chi: Eh. I've always thought they were boring. You didnt change my opinion.

Col: What's SO wrong about the "foot" logo? Make it the alt and take it to the bank.

Dal: Good job. As I mentioned before, if you like the dallas pants(puke), then for the love of god gimme my lightning bolts!!!!

Det: Never liked their uniforms. Dont know what you couldve done to help. Their logo is cool...but their uni's kill it, in my opinion.

Edm: *standing ovation* perfect.

Fla: FINALLY, someone else who thinks the change to blue was bad.

LA: LOVE. THEM. Maybe some purple trim on the alts(I realize that would kill the theme of them)...

Minn: Unlike you, I like em how they are.

Mon: Good job. Somehow you spiced up the 3rd most boring uniforms in the league. I like em.

NJ: I really like the alts. Those could easily become primary home/aways. Good job.

Nash: I agree that the Preds have nice home/away as is. I dont understand why you and the team insist on changing the yellow to mustard when it becomes a primary color.....

NYI: Not much you couldve done. They're logo just plain sucks and you cant hide that.

NYR: Great job. The liberty logo is a great logo.

Ott: haha, I love their current red homes. Hate the expansion blacks. I like your alts....and think the alt logo should be the primary logo. Makes the whole thing look meaner, and ties it all in.

Phi: I really was looking for a pink look. Maybe some pokie dots. Eff em. Eff the Flyers. :evil:

Pho: Agree with what you said. Maybe some of that khaki color in the striping of the homes? It's gotta be mixed in somewhere. Also, dont like the alts logo....colors are good though.

Pitt: No...no....no......no

SJ: Like the way they are....and yes, I'm feelin the black.

StL: Like the currents, but dont have wood for them like you seem to. I guess I could live with those alts, but it doesnt jump at me like the others(TB, NJ, Edm, etc)

TB: Did I mention that I LOVE THEM?!!

Tor: Not much to work with. They look fine.

Van: Eh. I like em either way.

Wash: As tired as I am of red, white, and blue on 80% of the uniforms in sports, those are spectacular. GREAT job. LOVE the alt logo.

SigReflect.png

My friend sent me a link to this and I'm glad he did. I work in a sports store and spend countless hours redesigning team uniforms and jerseys. I would love to comment on all of them but don't have the time right now so I will only mention my team (NJ), the team where I live (TB) and maybe one or two more:

NJ: Like their jerseys now and glad you didn't change much, Alternate: need to go with the Devil's Den logo, it's a "D" with a devil skating through it. It's drawn well and looks great.

TB: I agree with BigShoop, I like the home and away but have a different idea on the alternate. A black jersey with just the bolt (nix the stupid circle). The bolt should be silver with a thick blue (bright enough to stand out against the black) shadow and a thinner white outline (like the logo now). what do you think?

NYR: I HATE the Rangers more than I can say but have always loved the 3rd jersey. kudos to making it the home and away but keeping traditional with the 3rd jersey.

Is there any way to design jerseys using this site? sorry I haven't looked around to find out for myself. Overall awesome job and Hockey Rules! :grin:

shoop... a blue jacket is/was a union soldier in the civil war.

you see a lot of southern teams with "Rebel" names, to show their history as confederate military bases and such... finally a northern city showed their pride with a union tribute.

i hated the jackets bug logo, because they were trying to go with 3 different meanings for the name. the bug was supposed to be a play on words with yellow jackets (awful)... plus the bug was wearing a union soldier's uniform... plus, the chief of the ohio indian tribe was called blue jacket, if i'm not mistaken.

either way, i like it a lot more with only a union soldier sorta theme to it. that's why i love the cap logo so much.

Buffalo: Nice blending of old and new. I like these alot.

Carolina: I like the Alt. That is a better logo than the primary.

Columbus: Your primary has the logo they should be using. Not a huge fan of the 3rd, but it’s interesting.

Colorado: Not a fan of numbers on the front of hockey jerseys.

Dallas: Good 3rd jersey. Like that logo. Good by mooterus!

Edmonton: Not a fan of the “iron oil drop” but at least you made it match team colors, which is preferred.

Minnesota: LOVE the red jersey. As someone that will forever miss my North Stars, I am glad they have a green jersey, but I really do think the red is nicer looking.

NY Islanders: Kudos for resisting the temptation to change their tremendous logo.

Flyers: Bringing back the Orange jersey with originial logo. Nice.

Phoenix. Nice alt. Like the logo.

Pittsburgh. The blue just looks weird. That era is a long time ago and I don’t feel it should come back, even in 3rd jersey form. Plus I HATE that logo. Skating penguin all the way!

Toronto: I prefer the logo you picked for the primary over what most around here prefer. Nice work dropping the lame “TML.”

Washington: GREAT 3rd. Love that alt logo

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

great job w/ these Cole... my favorite is the buffalo alt uniform... is the buffalo logo on the top jerseys your design? also NYR uni is sweet.

and btw, I don't understand why some people hate the pens modern penguin? I personally love it... not so sure about using blue, but as a fashion jersey, it would definitely sell.

and yes, the caps WILL, sooner or later... return to red white and blue B)

shoop... a blue jacket is/was a union soldier in the civil war.

you see a lot of southern teams with "Rebel" names, to show their history as confederate military bases and such... finally a northern city showed their pride with a union tribute.

i hated the jackets bug logo, because they were trying to go with 3 different meanings for the name. the bug was supposed to be a play on words with yellow jackets (awful)... plus the bug was wearing a union soldier's uniform... plus, the chief of the ohio indian tribe was called blue jacket, if i'm not mistaken.

either way, i like it a lot more with only a union soldier sorta theme to it. that's why i love the cap logo so much.

Well, in that case, great job on the Columbus jerseys. On the alt logo, I think a larger version of the cap, by itself, would look great.

SigReflect.png

I absolutely LOVED your Sabres concept, your Capitals concept, your third Dallas jersey, third Islanders jersey, third Bruins jersey and third Kings jersey. my only complaint is the Rangers home and away being the statue of liberty jerseys and the elimination of the white aways. other than that, definately the best concepts I've seen here.

They look good. In fact I had the same idea about the Ducks jerseys too! Must have ESP (N) or something. :hockeysmiley:

Can you post a larger version of the Caps alternate logo?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived