Cincinnati Bengals

StarrDogg

Wow, what a great day. 15 years is a looooooong time! Marvin has turned the entire franchise and city around. People said it couldn't be done...especially in 3 years. Marvin made the right decisions, not always liked by everyone, but we all trusted him. He got rid of all the guys that were causing problems (Corey Dillion :cursing: <- Marvin's best move). The players finally want to be in Cincinnati, not looking to get out anytime they could, and Cincinnati will finally start to attract some big name free agents. Even if we don't make it the Super Bowl this season has changed this franchise in so many ways. Wow, finally.... Bengals in the Playoffs.

CAN I GET A WHO DEY!

Went to Bengals games starting in 1970, thru 1998. Saw so many games there.

The 82 Ice Bowl..the Icky Shuffle..Esiason torching every defense every week..then the Lost Decade of the 90s.

Have been fortunate enough to know lots of people personally down at the Bengals HQ..the old days at Spinney Field, which was located in Price Hill, a dumpy area if there ever was one, with a toxic waste smell blowing by every day.

So now, they're back. And the long suffering fans deserve it.

Now if someone can just work that comeback magic here in SF...

Wonder how Reggie Bush will look in scarlet and gold? It all comes down to that Stupor Bowl with the Texans.

We GOTTA lose that game.

This only proves that the Detroit Lions' management and ownership need to turn their jobs over to someone that will actually care about the team.

Congrats to all the Bengals fans.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Wow, congrats to the Bengals. Now, if such a sadsack of a franchise that the Bengals have been in the past can turn it around, why can't the Cardinals and Lions. The Saints now have an excuse, but dammit the Cardinals and Lions should know better.

It's about time. Ugliest uniforms to ever win a division. Nice job Bungles!

(What? You think a Browns fan is going to get excited over an arch-rival winning anything?)

Seriously though. Great season for the Bengals. They look mighty good. (except for the uniforms of course) I hope they have a good run in the playoffs. Congrats. Take it all the way. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Alot of people alive today don't remember that... hey, the Bengals were a power once....

I remember the trail-end of those days (i rooted for them in XXIII (i HATE the Fu*kin-Niners)

It's good to see that the Bengals are back to the top, and the Bungals no more.

Conratulations, Cincinnati.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

15 years between playoff appearances that's pretty sad. When the New Browns made the playoffs after their 4th season back in the NFL that makes 15 years even sadder. But anyway congrats to Cincy. So freakin glad that Pittsburgh didn't win it again. Now the Browns can ruin the Steelers Christmas by pulling the upset this Saturday. Browns 17-16 over Steelers. :shocked:

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

15 years between playoff appearances that's pretty sad. When the New Browns made the playoffs after their 4th season back in the NFL that makes 15 years even sadder.

The Browns making it in their 4th year was nothing. How about the Panthers AND Jags making it to their respective conference championship games in both their second year. Again only highlights the Ford family's ineptitude.

Another sad stat is that the Lions have won only ONE playoff game since 1963 when the Ford family bought the team.

Crappy cars, crappy football team. The pride of Dearborn.

On a side note, I kind of like the Bengals' unis. Their helmets have been the best in the NFL for years.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Two things:

1. Someone explain this "who dey" thing to me.

2. Wasn't Marvin Lewis up for nearly every head coaching vacancy for a couple years? He wasn't exactly an unknown. How stupid do some of those teams that passed him up look now?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Two things:

1. Someone explain this "who dey" thing to me.

They ripped it off from the 1987 New Orleans Saints. During their 87 playoff run the Saints and their fans said "Who dat". I think it's a cajun thing. Cincy then stole it and changed it to "Who dey" during their 1988 Super bowl run. :puke:

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

there was at the time a local beer called Hudepohl. "Hu-day-pohl" and I think that had something to do with it. But it was THE CHEER back when Esiason, Mcgee, Brown, Brooks, and Woods were putting up like 40 per game. But the defense usually gave up that many, so every game was a last-man-standing thing.

Actually, it wasn't started with the Saints...and it wasn't started with Hudepohl. According to the administrator on the bengals.com message board, this is how it started:

The Bengals were going up against the Steelers in the middle of October. Both had records of 4-2. The Steelers lost their first two games and then went on to win 4 in a row. It was the lowly Bengals playing the Super Bowl Champs of 1979 who was 9-7 in 1980. It was a big deal beating the Steelers because the Bengals already were defeated by co division leaders Houston and Cleveland who were 11-5 the year before. ..........

The future didn't look bright. Because next on the schedule every team had a winning record the year before. And the next 3 team were 11-5 after the 1980 season. First Houston who already beat us, then the Chargers and Rams. All three were in the playoffs the prior two years,The Rams and Oilers prior 3 years. San Diego was picked to win the Superbowl in 1981. Plus we had Cleveland again, who were 11-5 and Atlanta who finish 1980 at 12-4. Five of the teams had a total of 24 loses in 1980

Cincinnati went on a great run. After starting out 5-3. They beat Houston by 13, San Diego by 23 and Los Angeles by 14. The chant started after the San Diego game.........

The chant started, Who They think is going to beat them Bengals. ( Cincinnati was on a roll.they were 7-3 a season after they finished 6-10 and prior two seasons 4-12) When some hollered, "Who They think is going to beat them Bengals" Other fans would reply with "Nobody"

A week or two later. The whole chant started to grow, and the nobody was stretched out to Noooo Boooooooody. Coming from an old car commericial of (Red Frazier Ford ) who was out of business at the time. But had a very popular commercial, Who's going to give you a better deal than Red Frazier? Nooo Boooody.

Following that, the chant put was on a 45 record. Recorded by Cincinnati's WLW weatherman Who's first name was Zip.

From the banks of the Ohio comes that orange and black machine

They're the Cincinnati Bengals The finest ever seen

With stripes upon their helmets and fire in their eyes

They'll take the field they will not yield

They're strong and tough and wise

Who Dey.Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals

Who Dey, Who Dey, Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals

When Cincinnati made the playoffs, the Hudepohl beer company jumped on the Who Dey bandwagon with their own version in Hu Dey Beer.

The New Orleans Saints fans want to lay claim to Who Dey through Who Dat. .Not only did it not start with the Saints, I can show where the Saints picked it up and who were the people who changed it to Who Dat.

The Saint's Who Dat started in 1983, Bum Phillips had the Saints fans feeling playoffs for the first time in their history. They had their best start ever with a 5-3 record halfway through the season. They lost their first two games by a total of 4 points. They could of easily been 6-0, or 7-1 at the halfway point.

They picked up Who Dat somewhere during those first 8 games, but their dream season wasn't to be. They Saints finished opposite of how they started, winning only three more games and finishing 8-8

The Saint's Who Dat started up again in 1987 the year they started out 3-3 and never lost another game until they made the playoffs.

You just can't stand to see the Bengals doing well can you, PittsburghSucks? You know whats really sad...the Browns have never even made it to the Super Bowl... well unless you count that time the team won 6 years after it got the hell outta Cleveland.

Archived