Johnny Damon.... a Yankee?

DEAD!

Sad day if you're a Boston fan.

Soooo not true. Wait till late 2006/early 2007...you'll see why the Red Sox didn't ink Damon to another deal.

I don't understand why you're so happy to have Damon off the Sox. I'm pretty sure whoever takes over for Damon at CF will not be an upgrade. Plus, he just went to your hated rivals. I don't get how you can be satisfied with this move.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo not true. Wait till late 2006/early 2007...you'll see why the Red Sox didn't ink Damon to another deal.

I don't understand why you're so happy to have Damon off the Sox. I'm pretty sure whoever takes over for Damon at CF will not be an upgrade. Plus, he just went to your hated rivals. I don't get how you can be satisfied with this move.

Read the article I posted earlier in this thread. Damon's in decline, is getting up there in age, and was asking for far too much money over too many years (yes, four years is too much to give him).

Read the article I posted earlier in this thread. Damon's in decline, is getting up there in age, and was asking for far too much money over too many years (yes, four years is too much to give him).

You're acting like the Sox didn't want him back. The Sox desperatly wanted him back, but without a GM like Theo there, the negotiations we're poorly managed, and the Yankees took advantage.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You're acting like the Sox didn't want him back. The Sox desperatly wanted him back, but without a GM like Theo there, the negotiations we're poorly managed, and the Yankees took advantage.

Am I speaking for the Red Sox? No.

I'm telling you my opinion. I never wanted Damon back, for the reasons I've previously named.

The Sox wanted Damon back assuming he'd take a hometown discount (A difference of $12 mill over 4 years). Other than that, they weren't exactly tripping over themselves to try and resign him. Read the article posted above by Unwind -- you know why I like this move? Because one of the most likely replacements for Johnny Damon, Coco Crisp, who can be ours for just Matt Clement or Bronson Arroyo, has the same OBP as Damon has outside of Fenway while HR's are higher, and RBI's are up there (26 years old, too). Once again, the Yankees look for a quick fix, which will turn into a long-term problem -- meanwhile, the Red Sox will look for a younger player that gives them just as much.

Congratulations, Yankees. You picked up an old outfielder that, last season, experienced declining performance, and you did so for the small price of $13 million. His power numbers were down, his RBI's were down, his steals were among his career lows, his reckless play will begin to take more of a toll on his aging body. I didn't want him in a Red Sox uniform... but I sure as hell didn't want him in a Yankees uniform because he, as dumb as he was, was a guy I've always liked.

IUe6Hvh.png

Man, you are talking like Duquette about Roger.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Jesus?

More like the Antichrist in Pinstripes.

Then again, he's just a pro player.

Remember how much David Wells hated Boston? Then he plays one season for them, and he's not booed anymore (I think).

People move on.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Except he was wrong. Clemens had no physical ailments. Damon does. Serious ones.

Johnny Damon can now officially suck my testicles. Way to make the people that made you hate you. Deusch.

yah this would be like Mats Sundin signing in Ottawa or Daniel alfreddson signing in Toronto. greet ladies and gent that's all it is, I used to like this guy but know I see him for what he really is.

untitled-6.jpg

What can you do. In my mind, its a good pick up by the Yankees, even if they overpaid. From what I have heard, they asked for a "yes or no" answer from Damon, and since no one was sure if the Red Sox would boost their offer, he took the Yankees offer.

Sure, the Sox can't upgrade from Damon in CF, but I think they will be better off in a few years by not signing him. You won't see a decline in 2006, but maybe late 2007 at the earliest.

Sucks to see a player like Damon leave, but baseball is a business. If I had a job and I was offered more money to do the same thing, hell, I'd take the money.

$12 million extra is a lot of money, so I don't blame Damon for leaving. But don't give us that crap about wanting to stay here, but the Yankees seemed to want him more. If he wanted to stay in Boston, he would have. He wanted the money (which is his right) and he took the money.

The Yankees are gonna need two cutoff men for Damon to get the ball in from CF. :D

Johnny Damon slapped a lot of balls off the Green Monster -- those are outs in Yankee Stadium.

In the past three years, Johnny Damon is a .278 hitter away from Fenway. Is that worth $13 million? $18 million including the luxury tax?

He's a product of Fenway Park.

IUe6Hvh.png

Johnny Damon slapped a lot of balls off the Green Monster -- those are outs in Yankee Stadium.

In the past three years, Johnny Damon is a .278 hitter away from Fenway. Is that worth $13 million? $18 million including the luxury tax?

Well, when your other option is Bubba Crosby it is worth it. Plus he was pretty good in Oakland.

Except he was wrong. Clemens had no physical ailments. Damon does. Serious ones.

Man, I didn't know about his physical ailments... which are those ones?

BTW, I'm letting here a pic...

FG_damon_backstab.jpg

pennants.png

He's a product of Fenway Park.

Good point, pal.

pennants.png

Looks like Johnny got another dose of the Queer Eye treatment

damonhaircut.png

No, he lLOOKS like someone who would be one of the gay guys in Queer Eye.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived