Regional Names?

tjpskillz34

Just curious if anybody could think of team names (not college) that are not named after a city or state (i.e. Golden State, New England, etc)?

Both of those are "regions" or a "nickname", but me and my buddy couldn't think of any others. Any thoughts/ideas?

45_DenverBroncos.jpg.jpg

Please bring me some defense this offseason!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically "Carolina" would fit your description ... there really isn't a "Carolina," only North Carolina and South Carolina ... but the "North Carolina Panthers" wouldn't sound quite right.

There are probably a bunch of others in minor league baseball or in the lower ranks of arena football. The Central Texas Barracudas is the only one that springs to mind, though.

Also, there was a planned expansion team for the CFL in the mid-90s to be located in Halifax and called the Atlantic Schooners. The deal fell through and the team never saw the light of day, however.

Do past names and/or minor leagues count? If so, I can think of a few examples:

Capital Region Pontiacs (CBA)

Capital Bullets (NBA -- one year before becoming the Washington Bullets)

Quad City/Quad Cities [insert Name Here] (various minor league teams)

Tri-Cities Blackhawks (NBA -- predecessor to Milwaukee/St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks)

Chesapeake IceBreakers (ECHL -- I think)

Ohio Valley Greyhounds (Indoor Football, I think -- it is someone's sig)

Hudson Valley Renegades (Minor League Baseball)

Lehigh Valley Steam (A-League Soccer)

Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds (Atlantic League Baseball)

Carolina Panthers (there being no state named just "Carolina")

Carolina Cougars (ABA)

Delmarva Shorebirds (Minor League Baseball)

OK, back to work. I know I must be missing some, but I couldn't think of any others right off hand. At least I named one current team in the Big Four sports (if Carolina counts), so I came up with one even if old names or minor league teams don't count. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Technically "Carolina" would fit your description ... there really isn't a "Carolina," only North Carolina and South Carolina ... but the "North Carolina Panthers" wouldn't sound quite right.

Damn you, for typing faster than me. :P

EDIT -- Tampa Bay [insert Name Here] -- because Tampa Bay is a region

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Carolina Panthers would fit perfectly. They do repersent North and South Carolina. That was their goal when they got the team. They even played their first seaon in South Carolina.

Just curious if anybody could think of team names (not college) that are not named after a city or state (i.e. Golden State, New England, etc)?

Both of those are "regions" or a "nickname", but me and my buddy couldn't think of any others. Any thoughts/ideas?

Actually, Golden State is a direct reference to a state?California. Just like how the Lone Star State refers to Texas.

Nevermind... I see that you were referring to Golden State as a nickname for the state of California. I didn't realize that you meant names that weren't "the California XXXXXX".

Also, I found it weird that the Tampa franchises are named after the body of water, rather than the city.

[edit] Which CC beat me to.

The Tampa franchises are named for the region that surrounds the body of water known as Tampa Bay

Capital City Bombers (Minor League Baseball -- not from "The Simpsons" even though it sounds like it).

I have GOT to get back to work!! This thread is KILLING me!! :mad:

Bay Area CyberRayS (WUSA)

Bay Area Invaders (USFL -- the original name)

Golden Bay Earthquakes (NASL)

Southern California Sun (WFL)

West Tenn DiamondJaxx (minor-league baseball)

West Michigan Whitecaps (minor-league baseball)

Long Island Ducks (Atlantic League)

Kane County Cougars (minor-league baseball)

Brevard County Manatees (minor-league baseball)

North Jersey Imperials (American Soccer League)

Lehigh ValleyDawgs (USBL)

Also, there was a planned expansion team for the CFL in the mid-90s to be located in Halifax and called the Atlantic Schooners. The deal fell through and the team never saw the light of day, however.

wasn't that team to play in 81?

untitled-6.jpg

wasn't that team to play in 81?

I stand corrected ? it was actually 1984.

Archived