Logo Concept: Winnipeg Water Wolves

Phil

Winnipeg%20Water%20Wolves%20Logo.gif

It started out as a doodle in the summer of last year when I first assumed control of pittunited's old UBL team, the Pittsburgh Spiders. With their potential move to Winnipeg stewing in my mind, and my desire to make a connection between Winnipeg's real teams and my fantasy teams, I tried to think of a fish to play off of the Northern League's Winnipeg Goldeyes.

I thought of the Northern Pike, and started sketching the fish in different poses until I happened on this one. It's not an uncommon pose for fish in logos (I have a vague idea that either Nitroseed or GMS or both did fish in similar poses), but then school rolled around, the UBL season ended, and time ran short.

Recently, with the UBL starting to come to life again, I looked through my unfinished projects folder to see if I had happened to keep a scan of the logo. I had!

The name Water Wolves came to me during research of the northern pike (according to several credible sources, including Wikipedia and fishermen in my family, "water wolf" is a nickname for the species). So regardless of whether my team needs to stay in Pittsburgh (and become the Pike) or whether they are able to come to Winnipeg (and assume the Water Wolves name), I have a logo that fits both.

The colours on the fish I drew from the Manitoba Moose (go Sterling!)... I lightened the green and replaced the black with dark blue to make the context a little more like water.

Now, enough about the backstory, anyone got comments on what they like about the logo? Suggestions, questions, comments, and constructive criticism is all welcomed.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Nice job. I like the name.

However, I can't tell if there is supposed to be an "o" in Wolves, or if it is just blank space. If it is supposed to be an "o", it should probably have the same blue highlighting as the other letters.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is really nice, sy.

I agree with BBTV, though, about the "O". I think it needs to look a lot more like it's supposed to be an O. Something about it just looks off right now.

Other than that, the rest of the words and especially the fish are great. Nice job.

teamsnew2.png

Besides what's been mentioned about the "O", the only suggestion I have is to maybe make the light blue more of a wave going through the wordmark. TO better explain that, maybe try having "Wolves" entirely light blue, with the "water" split blue/white. You could even make it go into a wave like shape going throguh both Water and Wolves. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

Maybe you could thread the tail through an O by bending the fish a little back and to the right. It's really strange with there being nothing where the O should be.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

good looking logo - I like the workmark!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Maybe you could thread the tail through an O by bending the fish a little back and to the right. It's really strange with there being nothing where the O should be.

My thoughts exactly.

Otherwise, excellent.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

My thoughts exactly.

Otherwise, excellent.

I was also thinking that. Wow 3 people thinking the same time. Awesome job dude.

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

Archived