Nicknames of Displaced Teams W/Less Importance

iowahoo

The NBA seems to have the most, what are some others as well as other sports that have teams whose names meant one thing in their original city but not in their current location. . .

NBA

Los Angeles Lakers (Mpls. land of 10k lakes)

Atlanta Hawks (Tri-City Blackhawks, Chief Blackhawk)

N.O./O.K.C Hornets (Charlotte Hornets, rev. war)

Utah Jazz (New Orleans Jazz)

MLB

Atlanta Braves (Boston Braves/tea party?)

NHL

Dallas Stars (North Stars, I thought they should be the Dallas Lone Stars)

Others?

fade.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the worst one is the Utah Jazz. Doesn't even make sense.

One of my favorites is the Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm not a big fan of their unis or team or anything, but it's a great historic idea for a franchise. Makes perfect sense.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sacramento Kings (KC Kings, KC Royals, must be something royal there)

The Royals originated in Rochester, NY. The nickname was probably chosen for its alleritative effect.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

San Diego Chargers (LA Chargers... no Rodeo Drive in SD)

Arizona Cardinals (Chicago Cardinals, cardinals in Arizona?)

Los Angeles Dodgers (Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers, trolleys in LA?)

Atuall they were the KC-Omaha Kings/Royals and before that they were the Cincinnati Royals

San Diego Chargers (LA Chargers... no Rodeo Drive in SD)

Arizona Cardinals (Chicago Cardinals, cardinals in Arizona?)

Los Angeles Dodgers (Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers, trolleys in LA?)

Now they dodge bullets in L.A. :P

Contract this...."

251799582_m.jpg

Well, a charger is a horse. The Cardinals (as is the case with the baseball club and Stanford athletics) are named for the color, not the bird. The WFL team was officially the Memphis Southmen, but Memphians hated that name and simply took the Grizzlies moniker from the team logo The San Diego Rockets were so named because the city's slogan at the time was "A City in Motion" and I believe that the Atlas rocket was built in San Diego. In one of those happy accidents, the name just happened to make sense in Houston too.

Here's one for you: the Hartford Whalers. When they began life as the New England Whalers and played at the Garden, it made sense. But Hartford is hardly adjacent to the ocean. And I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the Colts. Baltimore, Pimlico, Preakness: Colts. Brilliant! Indianapolis Colts? That's why they're a chicken @$%& outfit and deserve to lose.

Hartford isn't right on the ocean, but it's close enough to it that it the name isn't that much of a stretch. Los Angeles Clippers kinda works because a clipper's a boat and LA's on the ocean.

The worst has got to be the Utah Jazz. Utah's a land of mountains, salt flats and Mormons. If there's one jazz musician in that entire state I'd be surprised.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Actually the Memphis Grizzlies was an old WFL, USFL, or Whatever-FL football team back in the 70s...I believe.

You're thinking of the Memphis Southmen of the WFL-(Which ironically was a moved franchise from Canada as well-the Toronto Northmen)

Reportedly the locals referred to them as the Grizzlies (because the logo was a snarling bear), and they applied for a NFL expansion team in the 70s with the name Grizzlies.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NBA seems to have the most, what are some others as well as other sports that have teams whose names meant one thing in their original city but not in their current location. . .

NBA

Los Angeles Lakers (Mpls. land of 10k lakes)

Atlanta Hawks (Tri-City Blackhawks, Chief Blackhawk)

N.O./O.K.C Hornets (Charlotte Hornets, rev. war)

Utah Jazz (New Orleans Jazz)

MLB

Atlanta Braves (Boston Braves/tea party?)

NHL

Dallas Stars (North Stars, I thought they should be the Dallas Lone Stars)

Others?

The Lone Stars? That's original. How can you pluralize "Lone Star"? :P

airheads.jpg

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

I think a lot of these are a stretch. Granted, I'll give you Lakers and Hornets and Jazz, and there's obvious things like Memphis Grizzlies, but I don't think we should read too much into things like the San Diego Chargers or the Arizona Cardinals or the Hartford Whalers. I think some of these names "just are," like the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Yep, the Utah Jazz are particularly perplexing, particularly in a state in which there's an awful lot of "Honky" but little, if any "Tonk".

The Rams are another one. Somehow made sense in L.A., but are out-of-place in St. Lou. And it's anybody's guess how they got that name in Cleveland...

Yep, the Utah Jazz are particularly perplexing, particularly in a state in which there's an awful lot of "Honky" but little, if any "Tonk".

The Rams are another one. Somehow made sense in L.A., but are out-of-place in St. Lou. And it's anybody's guess how they got that name in Cleveland...

The first GM was a Fordham Rams fan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

NHL - Calgary Flames - formally the Atlanta Flames, which refered to when Sherman and company torched Atlanta during his march south towards the end of the civil war (or "the war between the states" i'm told)

They did solicit fan suggestions, and Flames was one of the top choices, the point of reference changed to gas/oil well flames.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived