Stadiums to visit before you die.

And those only because I've been to the Melbourne Cricket Ground a thousand times.

Which to me, is the best stadium anywhere.

That's one stadium I would love to visit. I would also love to see Wembley, Old Trafford, Lambeau, Fenway, Wrigley, Azteca Stadium, Madison Square Garden, Tokyo Dome.

I saw, I came, I left.

Been to a quite few but there are a lot more I want to go to.

MLB: I want to go to all the ones I haven't been to. I'll keep the baseball list short by listing the ones I have been to instead of the ones I haven't. Jacobs Field, Old Cleveland Stadium, Tiger Stadium, Sky Dome, Riverfront, Camden Yards, and Tropicana Field. (I plan on hitting Pittsburgh, Detroit and Cincy this summer)

NFL: Lambeau Field, Buffalo, Arrowhead, Miami, Tampa, Texas Stadium, Soldier Field, Denver, and Cleveland Browns Stadium (how sad is that? I'm a Browns fan and I've never been there)

NHL: I've been to The Joe and MSG. It don't get any better than that.

NCAA Football: The only thing more ridiculous than a Browns fan who hasn't been to the new stadium is an Ohio State Alum who's never seen a game in the Shoe. So that tops my list. A few others are The Big House, Notre Dame, LSU and Georgia.

NCAA Hoops: Cameron Indoor, The Dean Dome, Pauley Pavilion, and Indiana.

And finally my holy grail...Daytona International Speedway for the 500. I'd also like to see Lowe's, The Brickyard, and Talladega.

Looks like I've got some traveling to do. :D

BB52Big.jpg

And those only because I've been to the Melbourne Cricket Ground a thousand times.

That's one stadium I would love to visit. I would also love to see Wembley, Old Trafford, Lambeau, Fenway, Wrigley, Azteca Stadium, Madison Square Garden, Tokyo Dome.

When you come down I'll organise a tour for you.

I know some guys, who know some guys...

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Here's my 3

1. Lambeau

2. Anfield (prolly too late now, if the Stanley Park rumors are true)

3. Fenway

No rush mate... at the rate we're going on a new stadium it'll be at least 3 years before they even think about knocking the place down.

liverpool-1.png

Wembley

Lords

Sky Dome (In the hotel)

MCG-Melbourne.jpg

The blue and white line with the 50 on it in the foreground is the 50m line.

This means it's 50 meters (55 yards) from there to the goals at the far right of ths pic.

It's 170 meters long, which is about 190 yards.

Yeh the MCG is best ground in the world, but i've been there and on it a thousand times....stand on the ground or first rows of level 1, and look up, its bloody HUGE....the MCG now looks a thousand times better and bigger, watch the Commonwealth Games to see the ground- and the closing ceremony cos im in it!

Other Stadiums i want to visit:

Lords', England...i would love to see an Ashes Test there

and i can't think of the rest!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I've been chipping away at my list for a while. And it's sad to realize how many parks I've been to that no longer hold games.

The absolute must-sees as I see them:

MLB: Yankee (been there, after the renovation... gone by 2008), Fenway (been twice), Wrigley (been twice), Camden Yards (go almost every summer), Old Comsikey (missed it), Tiger (last season before it closed), Busch (missed it), Astrodome (missed it); of the ones I haven't been to, I'd say Dodger, PNC, Petco and Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T/Local Phone Company Park ( :censored: you, corporate sponsorship) are the remaining must-sees. I'd like to get to a game in every MLB city; I've been to 11 current stadiums, plus Three Rivers, Milwaukee County and Stade Olympique.

NFL: Lambeau, Soldier (been outside it before the renovation, would've loved to see a game there before it was redone), Arrowhead, Invesco, Heinz; I should probably add Texas Stadium but only if the Cowboys weren't playing there that day. :D

NBA: none; of all the sports, pro hoops is probably least dependent on its ambiance.

NHL: Joe Louis, MSG. Got to go to the old Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens while they were open, which was great. Haven't been to the ACC yet, but I caught a game at the Bell Centre. Very impressed - great energy, great crowd, great place to watch a game.

NCAA HOOPS: I got lucky as a child growing up 10 miles from the Palestra in Philadelphia [why that's not been mentioned is a mystery... read your history, folks!] was spoiled in college watching games at Carmichael Auditorium and the Dean Dome. I've been to Rupp, Cole Field House, and Cameron (DOOKSUCKS.gif!). Among the remaining hoops gyms, I'd list Pauley Pavilion (UCLA), Allen Fieldhouse (Kansas), Assembly Hall (Indiana), McKale Center (Arizona), the Pit (New Mexico), Erwin Center (Texas) and MacArthur Court (Oregon) are still on my list.

NCAA FOOTBALL: Doing one a season every fall from here on out, starting with Notre Dame Stadium in November. Here goes: Notre Dame Stadium, Michigan, Ohio Stadium (OSU, been there), Beaver Stadium (Penn State, been there), Ben Hill Griffin (Florida), Doak Campbell (FSU), Orange Bowl (Miami), Royal-Memorial (Texas), Neyland (Tennessee), Rose Bowl (UCLA), LA Coliseum (USC), Sanford (UGA), Gaylord-Memorial (Oklahoma), Tiger (LSU), Tiger (Clemson... been there), Husky (Washington), Autzen (Oregon), Aloha (Hawai'i), Jordan-Hare (Auburn... been there), Bryant-Denny (Alabama), Michie (West Point), Memorial (Nebraska).

INTERNATIONAL: Wembley (London), Azteca (Mexico City), Wimbledon (London), Roland Garros (Paris), Allianz (Munich), Melbourne Cricket Ground.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I forgot Daytona International Speedway, Talladega, amd Bristol.

I went to the Brickyard last year and it was crazy. I couldn't believe all the syuuf outside the raceway. I don't think i ever sat down, because it was so exciting and there wasn't enough room.

Also, the Shoemaker Center for the crosstown shootout against Xavier.

Starting with college basketball, all those that are so insistent on making the trip to Cameron should realize that the place was modeled after Penn's Palestra. The basketball history in that building makes the place the college basketball equivalent of Wrigley/Fenway. Memorial Gym in Nashville is a fun place to see a game too, with its elevated court, and the team benches on the baselines as opposed to the sidelines. Atmosphere can't be beat.

For baseball, I've gotten to take in games at the old Vet, Citizens' Bank Park, Wrigley, Fenway, Shea, PNC, Camden Yards, the Metrodome, the Skydome, and Comerica. Quite a random assortment, but of the ones I haven't hit, I suppose getting to Yankee Stadium before it's gone is a priority. I'd like to see the SF Giants' field too ... heard nothing but good things about the place.

On to college football ... I never got to go inside ND Stadium, but walked around the perimeter of the building. I've driven by both Michigan's and Penn State's fields ... that in itself is a way to get an appreciation for the enormity of each place.

Professionally, I've made it to the Old Vet, Texas Stadium, the Meadowlands (Jet/Eagle preseason) and saw an Oilers home game at Vanderbilt before the Coliseum was built. Lincoln Financial Field I've only been in for a Temple/Villanova football game. Are there any historic NFL fields, outside of Lambeau? Soldier Field from what I understand underwent a Yankee Stadium-like renovation.

Supposedly the Toyota Center and Conseco Filedhouse have qualities about them that make them slightly different from a modern day indoor arena.

#500. Yay me!

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I also nominate Texas Stadium. Sure it's an aging leaky dump, but the place is 'dripping' with NFL history. It's date with the wrecking ball is coming sooner than later, so go check it out if you can. As an added bonus they're actually going to paint the roof for the '06 season! Thanks Jerry.

newsig.jpg

two of my most memorable experiences at a sporting event were at Wrigley Field and Notre Dame Stadium. if you go to wrigley, sit in the bleachers for the best experience. watching a ball sail over your head onto waveland is pretty cool. and then notre dame is just surreal. you dont have to be a fan to get the full effect, although it helps. there is no better experience than seeing USC @ ND. that stadium was so loud. but in any event, here's some places i need to see with the ones i've already seen.

Eventhough i've been to the Old Barn here in St. Louis, i never got to see a Blues game there; woulda been awesome to see the monday night miracle there.

X-Wrigley

X-Notre Dame Stadium

X-Arrowhead

X-Busch Stadium (old)

Busch Stadium (new) but i'll be there this season

X-Kaufman Stadium

Fenway

the OLD Soldier Field, pre-renovation

The Rose Bowl

XCEL Energy Center

Saddledome in Calgary

Nassau Coliseum (i heard they have sushi there!)

maybe even a game in knoxville or happy valley.

Coors Field

Cameron Indoor Stadium (eventhough i HATE duke)

Foxboro

i'm sure there are others, but these are all must sees for me

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

NCAA HOOPS: I got lucky as a child growing up 10 miles from the Palestra in Philadelphia [why that's not been mentioned is a mystery... read your history, folks!]

I saw a Lafayette-Drexel game there in about 1987 (primarily because I wanted to put it on my list of places I had been able to see and to get a cheese steak while I was in town -- forget where we went). The atmosphere really is amazing. We sat about half way up on the sideline and it still felt like you could reach out and touch the court. Plus the place just oozes history.

I think the reason it gets overlooked is that it hosts a lot fewer BIGTIME games than it used to. Obviously, Penn still plays its home games there, which makes for some big matchups (especially Princeton), but unless things have changed while I wasn't paying attention, a lot of the Big 5/City Series games are played elsewhere. It would do wonders for the building's standing if all of the Big 5 games were played there, plus some occasional non-conference specials. Unfortunately, the limited capacity makes it less attractive for the real marquis matchups.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

two of my most memorable experiences at a sporting event were at Wrigley Field and Notre Dame Stadium. if you go to wrigley, sit in the bleachers for the best experience. watching a ball sail over your head onto waveland is pretty cool. and then notre dame is just surreal. you dont have to be a fan to get the full effect, although it helps. there is no better experience than seeing USC @ ND. that stadium was so loud. but in any event, here's some places i need to see with the ones i've already seen.

Eventhough i've been to the Old Barn here in St. Louis, i never got to see a Blues game there; woulda been awesome to see the monday night miracle there.

X-Wrigley

X-Notre Dame Stadium

X-Arrowhead

X-Busch Stadium (old)

Busch Stadium (new) but i'll be there this season

X-Kaufman Stadium

Fenway

the OLD Soldier Field, pre-renovation

The Rose Bowl

XCEL Energy Center

Saddledome in Calgary

Nassau Coliseum (i heard they have sushi there!)

maybe even a game in knoxville or happy valley.

Coors Field

Cameron Indoor Stadium (eventhough i HATE duke)

Foxboro

i'm sure there are others, but these are all must sees for me

LOL Nassau Colleseum? It's such a ghetto stadium.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

I've been to a number of stadiums, including Wrigley, Yankee, Skydome, Tiger, old Comiskey, Maple Leaf Gardens, Air Canada Centre, Highbury, Wembley, but there are still a number of them I'd like to see.

The top of the list is Fenway Park.

Old Trafford would be next. I imagine that there would be giant magnets and vacuums at Old Trafford that would just suck the money right out of my wallet though...

I'd also like to go to Mount Panorama in Australia for the Bathurst 1000 car race some day. Racing up, along and down a mountian for that kind of distance seems just spectacular.

Monaco Grand Prix also has to be on the list.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think the reason it gets overlooked is that it hosts a lot fewer BIGTIME games than it used to.  Obviously, Penn still plays its home games there, which makes for some big matchups (especially Princeton), but unless things have changed while I wasn't paying attention, a lot of the Big 5/City Series games are played elsewhere.  It would do wonders for the building's standing if all of the Big 5 games were played there, plus some occasional non-conference specials.  Unfortunately, the limited capacity makes it less attractive for the real marquis matchups.

About half of the Big 5 City Series games are still held at the Palestra, and some schools are willing to move an extra game to the Palestra (most notably St. Joe's). Best of all, they still have a tripleheader at the start of the year where everyone (including Drexel) gets involved. But as each school has built its own bigger home gym (The Pavilion and Liacoras Center especially, though the Pavilion's no bigger than the Palestra), it isn't like it used to be. But as far as marquis matchups, Villanova's had 3 crucial games played on-campus (WVU, Oklahoma, Marquette) to avoid playing too many games at the Wachovia Center (and thereby ruining their shot at playing NCAA games in Philadelphia this season).

The best games were the intracity games before throwing streamers was outlawed. I had family at all 5 Big 5 schools, so there was always heavy family involvement. But after each team scored their first field goal, literally hundreds of streamers in the school colors came pouring out of the stands. It looked awesome, the 5 minutes of cleanup be damned. At the Penn/St. Joe's game this year that commemorated the 50th anniversary of the first Big 5 game, they suspended the automatic T for throwing streamers and fans from both schools let loose. It looked great, and it should come back for Big 5 games. *SIGH*

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Been to Fenway Been to Yankee Stadium Been to Shea

5 I want to see

1. Wrigley

2. Kaufman

3. AT&T

4. Camden Yards

5. Safeco

3 In the NFL I want to get to

1. Dolphins Stadium

2. Lambeau

3. Raymond James

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The best games were the intracity games before throwing streamers was outlawed.  I had family at all 5 Big 5 schools, so there was always heavy family involvement.  But after each team scored their first field goal, literally hundreds of streamers in the school colors came pouring out of the stands.  It looked awesome, the 5 minutes of cleanup be damned.  At the Penn/St. Joe's game this year that commemorated the 50th anniversary of the first Big 5 game, they suspended the automatic T for throwing streamers and fans from both schools let loose.  It looked great, and it should come back for Big 5 games.  *SIGH*

I didn't know it was streamers. I always thought that was just toilet paper. I was in college (or just out) when they finally outlawed that (somewhere in the 1986-90 range, because it suddenly took held everywhere and every game had to be stopped after the home team's first basket) and only remember people using toilet paper. I guess we were all too cheap to spring for streamers when you could pick up a couple of rolls of Charmin cheap at the WaWa. I miss it, too.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've been to a number of stadiums, including Wrigley, Yankee, Skydome, Tiger, old Comiskey, Maple Leaf Gardens, Air Canada Centre, Highbury, Wembley, but there are still a number of them I'd like to see.

The top of the list is Fenway Park.

Old Trafford would be next. I imagine that there would be giant magnets and vacuums at Old Trafford that would just suck the money right out of my wallet though...

I'd also like to go to Mount Panorama in Australia for the Bathurst 1000 car race some day. Racing up, along and down a mountian for that kind of distance seems just spectacular.

Monaco Grand Prix also has to be on the list.

i tihnk the Bathurst track is still a piblic road, you can race around ti with ya mates if ya drive safe, there are speed limtis but no one uses them

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived