AFL's Philadelphia Soul

jewbanpimp

There is no doubt that in terms of graphics and team identities, the Arena Football League has made tremendous progress over the past two decades. But then I see the Philadelphia Soul's relatively new look and it looks like a team that has taken about three giant steps backwards. It looks like it would be more appropriate in the WFL or USFL. The design is just a little too abstract/modernist for my tastes on a football helmet. Does anyone else have a thought or opinion on this?

Their logo:

PHI_5542.gif

Their helmet:

PSOUL.JPG

asu-tillman-in-memory-banner.jpg

It depends upon how you look at it. It you think of "soul" in terms of an angel, then the logo looks like an angel's wing. If you think of it in terms of music, especially since Jon Bon Jovi is the owner, then it looks like a music note.

I think it's very creative that the logo fits for two separate meanings.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like the philadelphia soul logo. It's simple just like a lot of the nfl logos are simple, like the

Houston Texans, New England Patriots, etc. I liked some of the logos in the USFL and Xfl.

The Chicago Enforcers, LA Xtreme and Orlando Rage, New Jersey Generals, Denver Gold,

Houston Gamblers. Not cluttered and using relatively simple, strong lines and shapes.

I like the Soul's logo a lot, but I like their uniforms even better. Using that charcoal/graphite/whatever you want to call it with the teal instead of a true black looks amazingly sharp, IMO, and the lettering and number fonts they use are really nice.

And I think the middle stroke forming an S would be more visible if the logo were flipped horizontally.

Gotta disagree with the thread starter here as well.

The Soul have designed a logo that serves a handful of purposes while overreaching for none of them. Consider:

1. a football with motion lines trailing off of it; OR

2. a musical note, conveying the significance of Philadelphia's place in the US music scene (if you don't know go ask your parents); OR

3. the idea of the soul in the religious context with the angel wing; OR

4. The letter "S" worked subtly into the mix; OR

5. The "wing" on the musical note is a very very subtle nod to the "other" football team in town, the Philadelphia Eagles, a team followed with a nearly-religious fervor. Any presumed link to that fan base helps tremendously.

Few teams even try to do this anymore, and even fewer can pull if off. The last great logo like this that I can think of is the old Utah Jazz logo, where the "J" was at once a letter, a basketball, and a music note. Logos like this tie every aspect of the team's identity so well. Most people ambitious enough to try this come up short by trying too hard to force elements into their work that detract from the logo concept as a whole.

Add in the name (evocative of Philadelphia's muscial heritage) and color scheme - nearly black (charcoal) and white (sheet music, piano keys) and electric blue (the blues), and it just simply works.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It depends upon how you look at it. It you think of "soul" in terms of an angel, then the logo looks like an angel's wing. If you think of it in terms of music, especially since Jon Bon Jovi is the owner, then it looks like a music note.

Technically, the music note would be backwards because when a stem goes up it would be on theright of the actual note

Nothing wrong with it at all, it's one of the better logos in all of pro sports. Simple, yet modern and it can convey different meanings that have already been mentioned.

Whomever designed this deserves a pat on the back.

stoneraizersig.jpg

good logo, but i don't like the name

Steiny, maybe this'll help show you the roots of this exceptionally well-chosen name (not random for those of you wondering). It may not be your kind of music, but open your mind and let it hit you. Read on and see, from your friends at Wikipedia (preferably with "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", "Love Train" or "If You Don't Know Me By Now" playing in the background):

Philadelphia soul (the music, not the AFL team)

:blues: Stay cool.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

good logo, but i don't like the name

Steiny, maybe this'll help show you the roots of this exceptionally well-chosen name (not random for those of you wondering). It may not be your kind of music, but open your mind and let it hit you. Read on and see, from your friends at Wikipedia (preferably with "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", "Love Train" or "If You Don't Know Me By Now" playing in the background):

Philadelphia soul (the music, not the AFL team)

:blues: Stay cool.

got nothin against soul. I'm just not a fan of sports nicknames that are singular instead of plural, even though soul does have aconnection to the city's heritage

Archived