Throwbacks in big games

nsentv

The Heat are wearing their Floridians jerseys against the Pistons on April 6th--which brings me to the idea that teams should not wear throwbacks (or alternates, for that matter) in big games. I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sox-Yankees game where either team has worn a throwback or an alternate. It would be a disgrace if the Packers or Bears wore a throwback or alt in one of their games. I know Pistons-Heat is about a year old, but still. In big games, both teams should play it straight.

I think Notre Dame is most known for bringing out their alternate for big games. Their fans absolutely love it when the green jersey is featured. In the 92 Sugar Bowl, they wore their "Road White" which is white with green numbers and socks. As of late, however; they have been losing in the traditional special green.

The Nets wore their alts in the 2003 NBA Finals. I think they lost every game they dressed like that.

I don't know if it counts, but I think the Marlins wore black in the 2003 World Series. Also, the Astros wore a different jerseys in every freaking game last postseason.

Also, the NFL has worn throwbacks on Thanksgiving now for the past five or so years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Nets wore their alternates for every road game in the 2002 Playoffs (including the Finals). In the 2003 Finals, they wore throwbacks in Game 5. Good point on the baseball teams too, by the way--one of the reasons I liked the White Sox so much was that they kept it simple all throughout the playoffs.

One worry I have about the NBA Playoffs is that the Sacramento Kings, Denver Nuggets and Dallas Mavericks will each be breaking out their insane alternate jerseys. David Stern should personally make sure the Kings don't wear their alts. Sometimes alts are okay in the playoffs and big games, but only if those alts aren't worn every single night (like the Notre Dame green alts or the Lakers' white alts that they only wear on Sundays).

I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sox-Yankees game where either team has worn a throwback or an alternate..

What would a Yankee throwback looklike? The pinstripes without the interlocking NY, or the road greys with "YANKEES" on them?

Personally, as a Sox seasonticket holder, I loved the old Red Sox greys with the navy letters and numbers, I don't really care for the "new" road uni's with the names on the back.

I think the Sox last wore a "throwback" when they wore these cool white uni's with a red sock on them that said "Boston" on it. I think they were from the early days of the franchise. I think their red alternate uniforms are awful. The current owners want to emphasize the red in the uni's more than the navy, as they believe it sells better.

I think the Nets wore their ABA uniforms as a tribute to the All-ABA finals.

How about UConn going with throwbacks throughout the entire NCAA Tournament?

I gotta say the throwbacks do look nice, but I think they should go with the regular set in the Final Four ... that is unless George Mason pulls off the huge upset them later today. If that happens in the throwbacks, you can forget about ever seeing those bad-boys ever again.

6uXNWAo.png

The Dolphins have been undefeated wearing their Orange alts or all-aqua combo.

They got beat by the Ealgles in '03 on MNF while wearing either orange or mono-auqa.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How about UConn going with throwbacks throughout the entire NCAA Tournament?

I gotta say the throwbacks do look nice, but I think they should go with the regular set in the Final Four ... that is unless George Mason pulls off the huge upset them later today. If that happens in the throwbacks, you can forget about ever seeing those bad-boys ever again.

Ding.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I know the Red Sox have worn their red jerseys at least once against the Yankees.

In the NFL's 75th Anniversary year, the Bears and Packers both wore their throwbacks for a monday night game. The Bears' wore the hideous candy cane stripped jerseys (which I love for some reason) with gold pants, and the Packers wore white jerseys with yellow shoulders and navy numbers, with plain yellow helmets and khaki pants. It is known in Chicago as the halloween massacre. It was played in a horrible rain storm, and the Packers destroyed the Bears.

I am a White Sox fan, and I loved that they didn't wear the black alternate jerseys during the playoffs. I love those jerseys, but they have worn them way way too much in the past few years. From 2001-2004, the Sox probably wore the black jerseys more often than the grey on the road. I think the greys are among the best unis in sports, so I was thrilled when they wore them more in 2005. And every time they got soaked with Champagne, they were wearing the greys.

I think as a whole, teams wear alternate jerseys way too much. They are best if worn once, maybe twice a week. The White Sox made a "black sunday" campaign when they debuted the new unis in 91, and they wore black only on Sundays for a few years. I think teams should go more towards that route. There are many great alternate jerseys that lost their effect because they were worn entirely too much (Indians navy - almost every road game in the late 90s).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Dolphins have been undefeated wearing their Orange alts or all-aqua combo.

They got beat by the Ealgles in '03 on MNF while wearing either orange or mono-auqa.

I remember in all aqua in 02' when Ricky ran all over the Bears on MNF

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The Heat are wearing their Floridians jerseys against the Pistons on April 6th--which brings me to the idea that teams should not wear throwbacks (or alternates, for that matter) in big games. I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sox-Yankees game where either team has worn a throwback or an alternate. It would be a disgrace if the Packers or Bears wore a throwback or alt in one of their games. I know Pistons-Heat is about a year old, but still. In big games, both teams should play it straight.

Miami vs. Detroit with 2 weeks left in the season isn't a big game at this point. Bad example. Either way, who cares? Honestly? Is it going to change the result? No....

By the way, just throwing it out there....Miami wore orange vs. Washingon in 03 and New England in 04. Both victories.

It would be a disgrace if the Packers or Bears wore a throwback or alt in one of their games.

heh, you must not be too observant. as mentioned previously, the 94 Halloween night beatdown between the Pack and the Bears (Packers in 40s throwbacks, Bears in 20s throwbacks)...not to mention other 94 games (Patriots-Packers, both in throwbacks). then when the Thanksgiving games used throwbacks, the Packers wore '39(IIRC) throwbacks agains the Lions (though they looked like practice unis) and then two years later, again in Detroit, they wore Lombardi-era unis with the only modification being the TV numbers were moved up to the shoulders. Bears-Cowboys in 04, the Bears donned orange jerseys (IIRC 1935 throwbacks) and the old white C.

did I think they were disgracing themselves? hell no. if they'd gone out in t-shirts they just got at Goodwill 5 minutes before the game, then it'd be a disgrace. :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived