Marlins Name Change

rebelx

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida Marlins, mark it down

if not that, how about the South Florida Marlins (to focus on the area since there is a 2nd team in Florida) or Miami Marlins if the ballpark can be built in Miami city limits

San Antonio Banderilleros

Oh come on, who's gonna pronounce THAT one? Bond-air-ee-yair-ohs? Broadcasters around the leagues are gonna make Harry Caray sound like Jon Miller as they fumble their way through that one.

San Antonio 36 (no ers just Thirty-Six)

Not gonna get past Hispanic lobbyists. Plus, if you're not from Texas or aren't a history buff, "36," or even "1836," has no relevance to people. Plus just "36" sounds too abstract for the majors, where singular noun team names are de facto verboten. 36 what? There are 9 guys on the field, 25 on the roster. The hell does 36 mean? Okay, Texas independence, but nobody's gonna know that.

I like Norfolk Torpedoes; I'm working on a concept for it. Torps for short?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

San Antonio Conquistadores, or Dukes for short. :) Too bad the Dukes were an affiliate of the Padres, then it would be perfect!

ALB-D_5423.gif

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment? While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense. So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make?

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME? Well, maybe not... Indianapolis? Nashville? Memphis? Hartford? Columbus? Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

I used to be concerned with divisional alignment, but then I had an epiphany and realized the current alignment with an even number in each league allows for all thirty teams to play on any given day. If you have fifteen in each, you'd have at least two teams idle each day (unless interleague play was stepped up big time). You'd have off-days for teams on weekends, when (I assume) you'd have the best attendance.

I think MLB is more interested in locations that make financial sense than geographic sense.

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment?  While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense.  So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make? 

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME?  Well, maybe not...  Indianapolis?  Nashville?  Memphis?  Hartford?  Columbus?  Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

I used to be concerned with divisional alignment, but then I had an epiphany and realized the current alignment with an even number in each league allows for all thirty teams to play on any given day. If you have fifteen in each, you'd have at least two teams idle each day (unless interleague play was stepped up big time). You'd have off-days for teams on weekends, when (I assume) you'd have the best attendance.

I think MLB is more interested in locations that make financial sense than geographic sense.

Interleague play would not have to be increased at all if each league had 15 teams. It would just have to be spread throughout the year.

San Antonio Conquistadores, or Dukes for short. :) Too bad the Dukes were an affiliate of the Padres, then it would be perfect!

ALB-D_5423.gif

How do you get Dukes from Conquistadores?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The largest three media markets (as ranked by Neilsen) are:

19) Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto, CA

20) Orlando - Daytona Beach - FL

23) Portland, OR

Miami - Ft. Lauderdale is # 17

#27 Charlotte, NC

#28 Hartford - New Haven, CT

#29 Raleigh-Durham, NC

#30 Nashville, TN

#35 Greenville - Spartanville- Ashville, NC

and #36 Salt Lake City

are all ranked above San Antonio - #37

These are TV homes, people.

Norfolk is #42

Las Vegas is #48

Miami should keep their team.

Charlotte and Portland should get expansion teams.

That would create two 16 team leagues with 4 teams in each division.

You could keep the wildcard or only let division winners in the playoffs.

Everyone loves a roundel.

How do you get Dukes from Conquistadores?

In the case of Albuquerque, New Mexico, the city was founded by conquistadores and named in honor of the 10th Duke of Alburquerque, viceroy of New Spain. Hence, the somewhat tenuous connection.

Yeh, tenuous connection, but a nod to the team's namesake nonetheless.

Related question-- If it wasn't the Padres, then wasn't the Dukes the affiliate of the Dodgers? For some queer reason I've always gotten them mixed up... :(

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived