World Cup

Natsfan36

In today's action, the Swiss sends Togo packing 2-0 and Ukraine dismantled the Saudis 4-0.

Heh. What a strange World Cup this has been... One game you give up 4 goals, the next game you score 4 goals.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In today's action, the Swiss sends Togo packing 2-0 and Ukraine dismantled the Saudis 4-0.

Heh. What a strange World Cup this has been... One game you give up 4 goals, the next game you score 4 goals.

Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger, Tunisia lead Spain! Thats one xconfusing group as it stands

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Spain pulling it round lead 2-1 to add some sanity back to the group.

They ended up winning 3-1. +6 in goal differential means pretty much they sealed up the number 1 spot in their pool. This also pretty much means that as long as Ukraine doesn't lose, they move on also, now that their goal differential is 0, in comparison to Saudi Arabia's -4, who plays Spain to close out the pool.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Actually, after two games, here is where everyone stands.

GROUP A: Germany and Ecuador are assured in, with the winner of tomorrow's match winning the group.

GROUP B: England is assured in. Sweden can get in with at least a tie over England, but a win gives them the group. Trinidad and Tobago still has a chance, but they need a win over Paraguay and some help.

GROUP C: Same as Group A, except replace Germany and Ecuador with Argentina and the Netherlands

GROUP D: Portugal is assured in. Mexico can advance with a tie over Portugal, but as with Group B, a win gives the Mexicans the group. Angola needs a win over Iran and help to advance.

GROUP E: Either Italy or the Czech Republic will advance with a win. That means one spot for two teams: The loser of Italy-Czech Republic and the Ghana-United States winner. Things are so wide open that a Ghana win plus a Czech Republic win equals Ghana winning the group via tiebreaker (head-to-head)

GROUP G: Brazil is assured in. Australia is assured a berth with a win over Croatia, but a Croatia win gives them second place. Japan can also get in, but they need a win over Brazil (Not likely...) and a possbile Croatia win over the Aussies

GROUP F: One game may decide Group F: Switzerland vs. South Korea. The winner taking the group and the loser having to fight off the French for the other spot.

GROUP H: Spain is assured in. Ukraine can get in with a win over Tunisia, but Tunisia can advance with a win over Ukraine. Saudi Arabia is in the same pickle Japan is in, but it's highly doubtful for them to make up a -4 goal differential.

Elmininated: Poland, Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ivory Coast, Serbia and Montenegro, Iran, Togo.

GROUP G: Brazil is assured in. Australia is assured a berth with a win over Croatia, but a Croatia win gives them second place. Japan can also get in, but they need a win over Brazil (Not likely...) and a possbile Croatia win over the Aussies

I believe Austrailia can advance to the round of 16 with a draw against Croatia as well. Even if Japan were to beat Brazil (far fetched, but possible if the Selecao rests their big names), Austrailia would have the tiebreaker because of the Socceroo victory in their first match.

I believe Austrailia can advance to the round of 16 with a draw against Croatia as well. Even if Japan were to beat Brazil (far fetched, but possible if the Selecao rests their big names), Austrailia would have the tiebreaker because of the Socceroo victory in their first match.

Actually the first tie-breaker is goal differnece I believe, I think results between the tied teams only comes in down the line.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Actually the first tie-breaker is goal differnece I believe, I think results between the tied teams only comes in down the line.

From what I've heard (too lazy to confirm).

World Cup Tie-breakers...

1. Pts awarded in matches between tied teams

2. GD in matches between tied teams

3. GF in matches between tied teams

4. GD in all matches

5. GF in all matches

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

In the first stages (the group stage), teams are drawn into eight groups of four. Eight teams are seeded at the draw (based on both current FIFA World Rankings and recent World Cups), and assigned a group. The other teams are drawn at random. Since 1998, constraints have applied to the draw to ensure that no group contains more than two European teams or more than one team from any other confederation. Each group plays a round-robin tournament, guaranteeing that every team will play at least three matches. The last round of matches of each group is held simultaneously to prevent collusion between nations. Since 1994, three points have been awarded for a win, one for a draw and none for a loss (prior to this, winners only received two points). The top two teams from each group advance to the second stage (the knockout stage). If two or more teams finish level on points, tie-breakers are used: first is goal difference, then total goals scored, then head-to-head results, and finally drawing of lots.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If two or more teams finish level on points, tie-breakers are used: first is goal difference, then total goals scored, then head-to-head results, and finally drawing of lots.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup

easier... thank you

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So Ghana could still not win the group despite beating the Czech Republic? That's hogwash.

Anyway, in today's action....

-Germany takes Group A with a 3-0 smackdown of Ecuador. Miroslav Klose scored twice in that game.

-England blew a late 2-1 lead against Sweden and settle with the 2-2 draw, which is enough to give England Group B.

-Trinidad and Tobago had a shot to advance with a win over Paraguay, an England win over Sweden, and some help. Well, it doesn't help when you commit an own goal. Paraguay takes advantage of this and ruins the Soca Warriors' dream 2-0.

The first two Knockout Round games are set:

-Sweden (1-0-2) vs. Germany (3-0) [saturday]

-Ecuador (2-1) vs. England (2-0-1) [sunday]

So Ghana could still not win the group despite beating the Czech Republic? That's hogwash.

Anyway, in today's action....

-Germany takes Group A with a 3-0 smackdown of Ecuador. Miroslav Klose scored twice in that game.

-England blew a late 2-1 lead against Sweden and settle with the 2-2 draw, which is enough to give England Group B.

-Trinidad and Tobago had a shot to advance with a win over Paraguay, an England win over Sweden, and some help. Well, it doesn't help when you commit an own goal. Paraguay takes advantage of this and ruins the Soca Warriors' dream 2-0.

The first two Knockout Round games are set:

-Sweden (1-0-2) vs. Germany (3-0) [saturday]

-Ecuador (2-1) vs. England (2-0-1) [sunday]

If Ghana wins and Italy and the Czech Republic tie, then Ghana wins the group. They would have 6 points while Italy and the Czech Republic would have 5 points.

Scoreless tie w/ Argentina. Most. Boring. Match. Ever.

Now we've gotta play Portugal. That'll be fun.

Seemed to me both teams were playing for the tie and nothing else...then again, I saw what Van Basten was trying to do in keeping most of the guys with 1 card on the bench for this one (would be kinda bad to have guys like Robben and Van Bommel watching the Round of 16 from the stands instead of being out there)...

And with the potency of Argentina's lineup, I'll take the point and be happy, thankyouverymuch....that being said, I see Argentina taking Mexico out behind a certain woodshed in the next round....

As for Portugal, it would be nice for the Oranje to give Portugal a bit of payback for Euro 2004....just have to remind Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo, and company they're not on their home turf THIS time around ;)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Draw's arent always boring. IMO the two best matches of the Cup have been draws, USA-Italy and Trinidad/Tobago-Sweden.

you're not an Aussie lol, we like to score

the best match i have seen so far has to be Ivory Coast v the Serbs, good game, and the Ives won a game!!!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Wow, terrible goaltending by the US on that penalty kick.

Also can ESPN stop showing the shot of Times Square. First off it's not a big crowd. Second those people aren't there to watch the World Cup on the big ABC screen, they are waiting in line to get Broadway tickets.

Well, I think that penalty call in the box was pretty weak. They were both going for the ball, and it didn't appear that either player was severely disadvantaged on the play. At some point, the refs need to let them play.

But the US needs to just forget about it and score 2 goals in the second half. Italy is doing their part. Go USA!! :flagusa:

AM.gif

Archived