Who Would You Retract?

fonz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as the NBA is concerned, the Warriors, Clips and Hawks mostly don't show any interest in building winning teams. They should therefore be contracted. Basketball may work in Charlotte the second time around, but I don't see how. I'd like that team and its by-far-the-worst-in-pro-sports uniforms completely disappeared.

Huh? I got you on the Hawks, but you lost me on the Warriors. Did you see the Coliseum during the W's playoff run last season? Absolutely packed to the gills. The Warriors are a team that have a loyal and paying fanbase, they sell out nightly - regardless of playoff contention (which, admittedly, ain't much).

Frankly, I could name at least a few other franchises more deserving of the axe than the W's (i'm lookin at the Hawks, Magic, Hornets, and Bobcats).

But, if we're talking about the one team I feel that could be contracted, across the big four leagues with no noticeable affect on fans or its league, it would have to be the Tampa Bay Rays. Utterly nondescript franchise that should have never been greenlit in the first place.

Look at the date of the post. Someone bumped a 1 1/2 year old thread.

I would contract (or move) the Panthers, Predators, D-Rays, and Marlins.

They just don't draw well, even thought they have had or have good teams (minus the D-Rays)

saBS.png

If you could retract one team from any of the professional sports leagues, who would it be and why? Your reasons could be anything you want, like a poor fanbase, losing ways, poor management, even ugly jerseys! Up to you...

Ya, I agree!

Thanks for responding to a quote that is over 14 months old.... now back to whatever is was you were doing before that...

I love that I did the exact same thing that Patsox did but didn't get reprimanded for it. Yay me!

If you could retract one team from any of the professional sports leagues, who would it be and why? Your reasons could be anything you want, like a poor fanbase, losing ways, poor management, even ugly jerseys! Up to you...

Ya, I agree!

Thanks for responding to a quote that is over 14 months old.... now back to whatever is was you were doing before that...

I love that I did the exact same thing that Patsox did but didn't get reprimanded for it. Yay me!

... not only that you also replied to your own post .... yay, you indeed. :)

I saw, I came, I left.

Ya, I agree!

All he did was agree with the explanation of the topic of the thread... 14 months later...

And as for what he was doing before that... probably finding 15 month old threads to agree with a quote that says the Earth is round... <_<

Re the Marlins championships being bought...

I could be mistaken, but wasn't the second one built though the farm system? I think because there were just so many good young players on that team that went onto become stars elsewhere we forget they weren't stars then. It was almost like the 90s expos with all the players on that roster. The exception being Pudge who was one of the (if not the only) FA pickup before the 03 season. Everyone else was acquired by trade or drafted.

Anyway...I don't think you could retract a single NFL team based on attendance. Doesn't every team just about having a season ticket waiting list?

MLB I think contracting 2 would be in the best interest of baseball. I think one team in Florida would be good to have, but you've got to have the right situation with location and stadium. Its got to be a closed roof and easy to get to. Neither team is established enough to have fans put up with traffic or travel woes like they do in downtown parks around baseball. As for the other, you can't get rid of the Cubs. They draw too well and are one of the oldest teams in the Majors. I'm not saying anything about the Washington DC market at all, but I think when the Expos were in limbo, they should have taken that opportunity to just dump them and the Devil Rays and be done with it. I can't think of anyone else that is a good candidate, but I do think that 28 teams would be better than 30 in terms of on the field play.

I don't know much about hockey, but I think they could use a few less teams to help with the skill level. I wouldn't speculate, but I've got to think a few of these non-traditional hockey markets that aren't drawing too well are somewhat hopeless when it comes to drawing a consistent fanbase. I know there have been instances where teams rebound, but typically that's with a league wide rebound, which could happen. To take Chicago for example, in the 70s nobody went to Cubs games or Bears games. Now, try and find a ticket. But baseball attendance and football attendance was nothing then like it is today.

NBA, there is just something about the Hornets taht doesn't seem right. You can't have a team in this day and age be only 30 years old or so and move twice, which could easily happen. Other than that, I'm not too sure about any place else that is really struggling. Seems like Charlotte might not be the pro basketball hotbed that people think it is...

You want heartlessness?

Here you go:

NFL:

Oakland Raiders

Arizona Cardinals

Tennessee Titans

New England Patriots

MLB:

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Francisco Giants

NBA:

New York Knicks

Charlotte Bobcats

Seattle Supersonics

Los Angeles Clippers

NHL:

New York Islanders

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Dallas Stars

That's not heartlessness. Observe...

NFL:

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

New England Patriots

Pittsburgh Steelers

MLB:

Boston Red Sox

Los Angeles Dodgers

New York Mets

New York Yankees

NBA:

Boston Celtics

Chicago Bulls

Los Angeles Lakers

New York Knickerbockers

NHL:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Now THAT'D be heartless!

nav-logo.png

I would be happy to see the NY Yankees gone for good... grrr stupid moneyspreading owner!!! He needs to be shot, period...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

i'd get rid of the Orioles based on the fact that their owner is a blood sucking lawyer who runs a futile organization, i'd get rid of the Marlins, c'mon 2 World Series and there were a few hundred fans on a sunday day game?! Nashville Preds, gone. i'd get rid of the Chicago Blackhawks (the longest Cup drought in the NHL contrary to popular belief) just to get their owner out of hockey, a once proud Original 6 franchise down the drain (one of a few). get rid of the Arizona Cardinals, theyre a nothing franchise. i'd get rid of the Dallas Cowboys, but i need someone to hate. i'd also get rid of the Maple Leafs, just to show their fans that they arent "the centre of the universe".

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

i'd get rid of the Chicago Blackhawks (the longest Cup drought in the NHL contrary to popular belief) just to get their owner out of hockey, a once proud Original 6 franchise down the drain (one of a few).

Lloyd Pettit tried to buy them and move them to Milwaukee in the late 80's (which is why the Bradley Center was built as a hockey arena), but the NHL decided it was more important to preserve its history.

Methinks this wouldn't have been a problem if Pettit would've waited until after Bettman became the Commish.

Cardinals, Packers, Pistons, and Red Wings. They don't draw enough fans and take up a spot for a worthy team. Sports can clearly never survive in these places.

Riiiiiight...

I understand... you're a Cubs and Bears fan and you want them gone because they're you're team's biggest rivals. Just be real about it...

The only team I would think about contracting would be the Marlins, but them winning 2 championships in the past decade gives them a free pass, just because it isn't arenaball or minor leagues where you can win a championship and then get contracted and/or move the next year.

Archived