New Dbacks Colors

scootrdice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is the Arizona Diamondbacks press release:

PHOENIX -- Like a snake shedding its skin, the Diamondbacks will have a fresh look in 2007.

After years of studying the issue, the D-Backs will change their color scheme to a red, sand and black combination, though team officials declined to be specific regarding the new look.

"Major League Baseball rules prohibit us from providing any details at this time," Diamondbacks executive vice president Derrick Hall said. "I can confirm that there will be some changes, and that we are excited about those changes."

When the franchise was first awarded in 1995, the team chose a color scheme that consisted of what the club called "Arizona" turquoise, copper, black and purple. Turquoise was chosen because the greenish-blue stone is indigenous to the state and copper because Arizona is a leading copper-producing state. Purple was added because it had gained popularity in the state as the primary color of the NBA's Phoenix Suns.

When the team began play, the club received feedback from various media outlets that the color purple is a difficult one to match up when it comes to graphics, logos and photos with the purple coming out looking either blue or black. Purple also was a challenging color to match up from a merchandising standpoint.

In an effort to continue the tradition of making the colors representative of the state, the team chose to call its shade of red "Sedona red" due to its similarity to the famous red rocks in the northern Arizona town of Sedona.

Also, for the sake of continuity, the team's "A" logo is not expected to change much, though, the secondary "D" logo will receive an update and be more modern looking. It's not known for sure which logo will appear on the team's hats or what color the hats will be. Currently the team wears purple caps with the "A" logo at home and black caps with the "D" logo on the road.

Steve Gilbert is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

PHOENIX -- Like a snake shedding its skin, the Diamondbacks will have a fresh look in 2007.

After years of studying the issue, the D-Backs will change their color scheme to a red, sand and black combination, though team officials declined to be specific regarding the new look.

"Major League Baseball rules prohibit us from providing any details at this time," Diamondbacks executive vice president Derrick Hall said. "I can confirm that there will be some changes, and that we are excited about those changes."

When the franchise was first awarded in 1995, the team chose a color scheme that consisted of what the club called "Arizona" turquoise, copper, black and purple. Turquoise was chosen because the greenish-blue stone is indigenous to the state and copper because Arizona is a leading copper-producing state. Purple was added because it had gained popularity in the state as the primary color of the NBA's Phoenix Suns.

When the team began play, the club received feedback from various media outlets that the color purple is a difficult one to match up when it comes to graphics, logos and photos with the purple coming out looking either blue or black. Purple also was a challenging color to match up from a merchandising standpoint.

In an effort to continue the tradition of making the colors representative of the state, the team chose to call its shade of red "Sedona red" due to its similarity to the famous red rocks in the northern Arizona town of Sedona.

Also, for the sake of continuity, the team's "A" logo is not expected to change much, though, the secondary "D" logo will receive an update and be more modern looking. It's not known for sure which logo will appear on the team's hats or what color the hats will be. Currently the team wears purple caps with the "A" logo at home and black caps with the "D" logo on the road.

Steve Gilbert is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

:boogie:(dance):woot:

Still sounds too much like the Astros. But we'll see.

Well the Astros have no buisness using the scheme anyway, so I'm for anything that might force them to change, even if I did like the old D'back scheme.

I read an article on AZ Central which states that the team is going to adopt a slightly modified snake "D" as it's primary logo. The current snake D" certainly has been the most popular logo with DBack fans.

Interesting. I would consider that the least successful logo, design wise. I much prefer the A but, then again, I'm neither a fan nor a resident of the area.

I read an article on AZ Central which states that the team is going to adopt a slightly modified snake "D" as it's primary logo. The current snake D" certainly has been the most popular logo with DBack fans.

Interesting. I would consider that the least successful logo, design wise. I much prefer the A but, then again, I'm neither a fan nor a resident of the area.

I really don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the Astros over and over and over again.

I get that they have brick red and black in their color scheme too, but they also have gold which will NOT be used in the D-Backs color scheme. The gold combined with the red makes a very distinct combo. Not to mention that the 'Stros use black prominantly in their primary unis, which it doesn't seem at this point will be the case with Arizona. The pin stripes in the home uni makes a big difference as well.

I'm thinking it'll be more like the Coyotes of the NHL and much LESS like the Astros.

Read the tagline at the end. That's not a press release, it's just an MLB.com news story. Nothing official.

I really don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the Astros over and over and over again.

I get that they have brick red and black in their color scheme too, but they also have gold which will NOT be used in the D-Backs color scheme. The gold combined with the red makes a very distinct combo. Not to mention that the 'Stros use black prominantly in their primary unis, which it doesn't seem at this point will be the case with Arizona. The pin stripes in the home uni makes a big difference as well.

I'm thinking it'll be more like the Coyotes of the NHL and much LESS like the Astros.

Gold and sand aren't that different.

Sounds like to me that it will be EXACTLY like the Astros (minus the Gray dropshadowing):

HoustonAstros_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

maybe seeing the D-Backs in their colors will insitgate the Astros to go to Orange and Navy

They need to switch back to Navy and Gold, IMO. But I'd definately settle for Navy/Orange, anything but what they have. I love the current color scheme, as a color scheme, but the Astros aren't the team to have it. Arizona fits it better, and their nickname is something associated with the desert so it's perfect. The 'Stros take an old western color scheme and mix it with a space-age name. Not a good combination.

I live in Phoenix, however I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan. I root for the D-Backs because they're my hometown team, but they're not my favorite team.

I don't think this change is a good idea.

I never like it when teams go and change their entire color schemes, even if the teams are newer teams.

When a team picks its colors, that team is establishing its identity.

Teams that change their colors don't have a recognizable identity.

What do you think of when you think of the Padres?

Orange?

Brown?

Yellow?

Blue?

Sand?

Who knows? They have had so many colors they have no identity.

I still identify orange and navy with the Astros.

The teal in the D-Backs uniforms was for a reason, it is significant to Arizona. Anyone that grew up in Phoenix understands the purple. The Suns were the only sports team in the valley for so many years, and their color scheme is easily associated with Phoenix.

I think this is a move by the current ownership, Ken Kendrick and Jeff Moorad, to get rid of anything associated with Jerry Colangelo, as a previous post said.

It's another bad move by Kendrick, just as his comment speculating about Luis Gonzalez and steroids.

Ken Kendrick is a jackass and a terrible owner for Phoenix's MLB team.

Archived