Canadian CFL Logos and Names

fonz

Hey--I'll go team by team again-But I won't mark the unis as RBK did a terrible job--lose the piping and use different templates for all teams--there are only 8 and were only 9 when they designed them. I will make some runi related comments though.

BC Lions-one of the weaker ones--I like he Lion paw much better--but do it in orange or red on a black helmet like they used to--I'd say orange to keep their colour scheme.

The Mountain Lion they use sort of looks like a kid drew it--so I'm not a big fan.

But I do like that they went back to orange jerseys.

Calgary Stampeders--the horse is a classic--and while there is a resemblance to the Ford Mustang--it's not identical. I'd like to see the unis use less black--and love that they got rid of the black pants--especially the all black ones. The road jerseys should lose the bib--or square it off in front. And the roads need red #'s, not black. The previous unis were much better, and only needed a different # font.

Edmonton Eskimos--I do like some green and yellow combos--such as the old Golden Seals and North Stars in the NHL--the Esks are sloser to the Seals---they just need a slight change in shade for one or both colours--and lose the piping.

The logo though I've always liked--the interlocking "E"'s are cool, although I prefer the version where the inside of the "E"'s are curved as opposed to the current ones that are straight.

Saskatchewan Roughriders---dump the black--or use it sparingly. It's better than when they used silver & looked like Philadelphia Eagle ripoffs with dirty unis.

The helmet needs a new look--I have nothing against wraparound helmet logos--but it's boring. It needs an update

Winnipeg Blue Bombers--before RBK came along they had the nicest unis in terms of template. The helmets are good, and the logo is cool as well--they have the ball going to the front on both sides but the "W" is reversed on each side--so they almost have 2 logos...

Toronto Argonauts--They've gone through many changes--but I like it best when they stick to double blue--that foam green didn't suit them.

The cirrent helet logo is a bit dull, but the best was the later football boat logo on the blue helmets.

Not this one

And not this one--although it's better

But the 76 onward one seen on the CFL page of the Helmet project

Here's a page with an actual helmet on it.

Hamilton Tiger Cats--their recent logo update is great--it keeps the same classic look, but cleans it up & makes it easier to see from a distance--a great move--they have had many looks uni wise over the years--I like the ones best that used the yellow & black, as opposed to the ones that focussed on the black. They used to have crazy sleeve striping that was quite nice.

Montreal Alouettes--a lot of differnt looks--I like the current logo--it's good, but in a way I prefer their old green & red days and the simple line bird head logo.

They've never had good alts though.

The 70-72 helmet here is the one I mean for red & green.

Or as seen here on Chris's site

Ottawa? Well the Rough Rider & Renegade unis weren't to different , but the Renagde logo was too busy & unclear unless you got to stare at it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

BC: good, but I always wondered why the lion doesn't have a mane (is it female?) EDIT: I see that it's a mountain lion. Makes sense.

Calgary: Ford Mustang

Winnipeg: Not bad, but the lightning-football is very '90s

Saskatchewan: Looks better as a wrap-around on the helmet. I'm biased, but I like it.

Toronto: Very good. I never liked their teal and blue unis, and I think this is a big upgrade. Although the silver part is actually light blue this year.

Hamilton: My favourite logo in the league. They did really well with their update last year.

Edmonton: The interlocking EE is classic, but I prefer the version they had before they added black.

Montreal: Terrible. Too cartoony. Yet another bird logo with teeth. However, their unis are my favourite in the league.

Saskatchewan needs to drop the black. Period. Completely. I think ReginaCanuck can vouch that I've been a HUGE advocate of this from the get-go.

I was so happy when I saw silver pants on opening day...then they bring out the black pants against Hamilton, destroy them in 2 games, then wear all-black against Winnipeg, and destroy them too. The black will never go away.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

The Ti-Cats logo is by far the leauge's best.

The Argos had a really wicked logo in the Jason/boatman logo, but alas it's gone teh way of Ottawa football. The A/shield logo would make a great alt to compliament the Jason/boatman logo, but it's severely lacking as a primary mark.

The Lions have the worst in the leauge, but at least it's better then at least one NFL logo *cough*Bengals*cough*

A Ti-Cats like update would do them a world of good (please keep the paw relegated to secondary status though, it screams university football).

As for the rest....

Eskimos-Simple and effective. Can't ask for much more, all though I do think they need to go bback to the curved Es.

Alouettes-This is a brilliant logo. Had the original Als not follded I could see them using something like this. On top of that, it's a fresh take on the football bird logo, as in it's not a bird head or a flying bird (Cardinals, Eagles, Ravens, Seahawks, Falcons).

Stampeders-Like the Eskimos' logo, it's simple and effective. I also love their alt logo used on their black jerseys (horse over two crossed pistols). I HATE the alt used on their white jerseys though (cartoon horse and horseshoe).

Blue Bombers-It just sais "Winnipeg Blue Bombers" without the need for words. Enough said.

Roughriders-Like ReginaCanuck said it looks better as a wrap-around on a helmet. Still, it's a very solid design, and a huge update over their old Sheraton Hotels logo.

The CFL uni situation is a tough one. Yes, all in all the Reebok unis are genaric, and in some cases just bad. Yet some RBK unis are very nice, if you let those perticular unis be the only ones in the leauge with that perticular template, they will look much better. Here's how I would fix things...

BC Lions-First off I would re-do the black alt, and standardise its design with the orange and white jerseys. On top of that I would give the BC/lion logo a update, but not a complete change. Other then that I would leave them alone.

Saskatchewan Roughriders-I would keep the general design of the Reebok unis, with a few tweeks. First off, I would ditch the Sheraton Hotels logo patch. I would also eliminate the black alt, and reduce black to a trim colour on the home and road unis.

Calgary Stampeders-They got the worst of the Reebok unis. I would start over from scratch, and I would go traditional.

The helmet would remain the same (red shell, white horse logo w/black outline, and black facemask). the Jersey would be red with white block numbers outlined in black, with the crossed pistols/horse logo on the sleaves. The pants would remain unchanged from their current Reebok version (white with a think black stripe and thick red stripe. The socks would be black.

The roads would be white with red block numbers outlined in black, and the crossed pistols/horse logo on the sleaves. The pants would remain unchanged from their current Reebok look (red with a thick black stripe and a thick red stripe, with balck socks).

The alt would be black with white block numbers outlined in red, crossed pistols/horse logo on the sleaves, and to be worn with the white pants and black socks.

Edmonton Eskimos-Keep the home and road unis as they are, and re-do the yellow alt so they match the home and road jerseys template wise. Also, replace the straight Es with the curved Es, but keep them white oulined in yellow.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers-Go back to the pre-Reebok unis.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats-Reebok's best CFL uni. I would keep the home and road as they are, and ditch the yellow alt.

Toronto Argonauts-Go back to the pre-Reebok Jason/boatman unis, but switch the seafoam green for the light blue. I would also add a light blue alt.

Montreal Alouettes-Perfect, don't change a thing.

I like the CFL team names. I would also agree that BC's logo needs an overhaul, but so should the Eskimos. I guess depicting an Eskimo would be considered a no-no in today's hyper-sensitive racial atmosphere, but having one heaving a football or a harpoon would be interesting.

FsQiF2W.png

Saskatchewan needs to drop the black. Period. Completely. I think ReginaCanuck can vouch that I've been a HUGE advocate of this from the get-go.

im the most prominent Reginan here... wtf.... who am I Shivers... jeesh...lol... stampfan... touch my riders helmet... wtf are you thinking... stamps get rid of the clown collars... then we will talk about the rider helmets but those things are near perfect

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I like the CFL team names. I would also agree that BC's logo needs an overhaul, but so should the Eskimos. I guess depicting an Eskimo would be considered a no-no in today's hyper-sensitive racial atmosphere, but having one heaving a football or a harpoon would be interesting.

They used a polar bear for a few years (96 to 99, I think) that was a part of the EE logo. I can't find an example right now, though...

I thought that was a great idea, but the bear was a bit cartoony.

---

Yay, I managed to find a site with the logo here.

I really like the CFL logos except Toronto. I wish they would go back to Jason the Argonaut. I have the Toronto away jersey with Jason on both shoulders (I also have a 70's jersey with the boat on the sleeves) and by far Jason the Argo is the best of their designs. I'm in favor of keeping Hamilton's leaping Tiger as opposed to the Lions' ripoff they wore on Labour Day. I have an older jersey with the black and yellow stripes and I like this jersey much more. I'd like to see the Edmonton polar bear as a sleeve or shoulder logo. The only "recent" innovation I liked was Winnipeg going to navy blue helmets. Now their uniforms look like the Rams. The old Ottawa Roughies logos (the fisherman and the flaming Rs) were bogus. Awful looking. The American teams? Only the Stallions stood out but if anyone knows where to get a San Antonio Texans jersey let me know. They were awesome!

Calgary has the same horse logo as Southern Methodist - in a different color.

On this site, the logos both the SMU Mustangs and Calgary Stampeders have a date starting in 1968. Who came up with the logo and who ripped it off? Did they come up with it jointly or steal it from Ford?

Everyone loves a roundel.

BC Lions: looks like a cheesy HS logo... nice colors but very 80s and bland treatment

Calgary: SMU ripoff... boring!

Sask RRs: About as exciting as wheat can get... nice colors

Esks: Very cool

Winnipeg: Maybe the best logo and scheme in the league... great nickname too!

Argos: Is Rocket Ismail still an Argo? yawn.

Ottawa RRs: What is that thing? A logo from the indoor lacrosse league?

Montreal: Too cartoony, but it could be worse

Hamilton: AWESOME! Great modernization... it looks badass!

Archived