Reebok and Majestic "start" an old fad

WSU151

Rock one of these....

1_250.jpg

wearing one of these...

lgznjktgbpgrn.jpg

and it's 1992 all over again. Wow. I can dress the same exact way I did when I was in 6th grade. The thought of that is absolutely profound. :wacko:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait a second...according to finishline.com, these are $100?!

You can go to almost any thrift store and find one for two bucks. And then it's vintage!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wait a second...according to finishline.com, these are $100?!

You can go to almost any thrift store and find one for two bucks. And then it's vintage!

Oh I'm eBaying the original, my friend. Vintage, indeed. B)

They need to bring back the Starter-style satin jackets like the old bullpen jackets from the early 90's. They've been revived here and there, but I want them for everybody.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Wow. I had a Florida State one back in 8th grade. Girls wanted to do me and guys wanted to be me. :)

I am in the market for a sports team jacket, but I don't think I can go back to wearing one of these.

Fashion really is cyclical. First those script team hats come back, and now this (DGivens87 beat me to it). So when does the new Vanilla Ice album come out?

The starter satin jackets were much better.

That being said, I did have the UNLV pullover starter from 1992. I doubt they'll be making another UNLV jacket for 2006 :)

EDIT:

Looking at the site, they're using quite a bit of odd logos. For example, when's the last time you saw the Cal Bears paw logo?

xlznjktcalnvy.jpg

Fashion really is cyclical. First those script team hats come back, and now this (DGivens87 beat me to it). So when does the new Vanilla Ice album come out?

...and when do we get to drink this again? :D

cola448.jpg

You're kidding me....they're actually trotting these out again?

The only people I ever see wearing these now are homeless. Is that a market segment they're actively targeting?

Keep this in mind...everything trendy will eventually lose it's popularity to the point where production is stopped and the only people you'll see wearing it are those too poor to afford something new. (And those that had it before cease to wear it because they've found a nicer, newer or cleaner coat or they've outgrown it.) I wouldn't be surprised if the parkas they released last year are the new homeless fad in three years time.

There a quite a lot of people in the Sydney area who still wear those coats (and aren't poor). And strangely enough, the team I've seen the most of those coats for was the Mighty Ducks. Someone at work still wears there Mighty Ducks one every winter.

My all time favorite hat though was the the old Starter NHL hats from 1992 that had the team name spelled out across the front baseball-script style and the team logo on the side of it. Getting to peel that felt backing form the star in the back of your own hat was a like a badge of honor.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

xlznjktillnvy.jpg

Oh my God. This is so perfect in so many ways... and yet I'd feel like I was back in junior high if I bought and wore it. Equally fantastic: the Notre Dame jacket... with real gold! I'm sure you all remember that up until 1995 or so, anything Starter did for Notre Dame was yellow.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So in the end, did Reebok buy out whoever owns Starter/Pro Player/whoever?

I was thinking about this...

Starter (the company) still exists, as it produces just plain, low-cost clothes for discount stores like Wal-Mart. I'm guessing that Starter is getting paid by Reebok and Majestic to make these jackets, and I think that only because I assume Starter still has the design patent.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I certainly rocked one of these in Junior High (Maroon Arkansas one, nobody else had one at my school!) but I just can't see myself riding the El to work downtown everyday wearing a Blue Illini or Bears one.

Or Can I....

Archived