Cleveland Brownies

random_ax

I like the whole Browns look...the orange helemets with the ugly chocolate jerseys...seriously. And I know that when the new Browns expansion club came back, the NFL pleaded with the owner to change the name to something like Rhinos or Cobras...which was the name they tried to convince all the new franchises to adopt so they must have some great rhino or cobra logos in NFL HQ... and if they wouldn't change the name, at least change the look and the owner, to his credit, said no way.

My question is...do you Browns fans in Cleveland ever see much use of that Brownie logo used in the '60s?

http://logoserver.com/football/ClevelandBrowns50.GIF

And how often is the "Dawg" logo used with that bulldog(?) creature?

I really like the Brownie but Isuppose 350 lbs lineman don't want pixies on their shoulders or helmets.

Anxious to hear from fans in Cleveland on this.

This has been discussed a few other times. But, it would be hard to find which thread since so many get side tracked.

Most of us in Cleveland like the Browns the way they are. Basically meaning, no logo on helmet and no logo on uniform. BUT... there is a lot of merchandise that does show the Brownie logo (not the one you posted, see below)They use it on t-shirts and various items. The Browns do use it on the back of their sideline jackets and equiptment trunks. The dog is really only on some baseball style hats.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a more modern looking uniform. A different tone of orange... copper maybe?

BrowsElf.jpg

I love the elf logo, just not on the uniforms. Keep them as they have been, and if possible remove the AL on the sleeves. The <B> logo annoys me as I feel if a team uses a singular letter it should be for the city initial not the name, as I similalry dislike the Indians' scirpt I logo/hat. Hmmm maybe if someone came up with a <C> concept that would be cool. Paul Brown used to have a block C hat.

fade.gif

I love the elf logo, just not on the uniforms. Keep them as they have been, and if possible remove the AL on the sleeves. The <B> logo annoys me as I feel if a team uses a singular letter it should be for the city initial not the name, as I similalry dislike the Indians' scirpt I logo/hat. Hmmm maybe if someone came up with a <C> concept that would be cool. Paul Brown used to have a block C hat.

7374TRIBE.jpg

why not revert to using this logo. its pretty destinctive

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I am from Cleveland Heights and I like the Bulldog. I grew up in the "Dawg" days of Hanford Dixon and Frank Mennifield. I mean what else are you going to do with the Browns? Not a fan of the Elf, liked the "B". But in Ohio like the Buckeyes we like it pretty plain. No frills. No Tampa Bay Lighting or anything like that.

That C in the Indians hat was supposed to look 'tribal' and i LOVE it for the Tribe but not for the Browns. Keep it all the way it is, old school. Leave new school to the expanion teams.

And I know that when the new Browns expansion club came back, the NFL pleaded with the owner to change the name to something like Rhinos or Cobras...which was the name they tried to convince all the new franchises to adopt so they must have some great rhino or cobra logos in NFL HQ...

That's the first I've heard of that. It was always my understanding that in order to get Cleveland to drop all the lawsuits against him, Art Modell agreed to leave the colors, history, and the name with Cleveland when he moved to Baltimore. If there was ever any "pleading" from The NFL to name the team The Rhinos I never knew about it. As far as I know they were going to be the Browns in any new incarnation of the team whether it was a relocated or expansion franchise.

The Cleveland Rhinos? Yeah that would have been a big hit around here. :D

As far as what my preference is, I think they should use the elf for a logo and leave the uniform as is.

And just for the record there is a pretty good percentage of Browns fans (myself included) that find the whole Dawg Pound thing ridiculous and a bit embarassing. That one section of the stadium does NOT represent all Browns fans.

BB52Big.jpg

Random ax-

I agree with infrared. From what galaxy did you get your information about the NFL wanting Cleveland to change the nickname? This is the first I've ever heard about such a totally rediculous proposal. And as a Browns fan since 1958, the uniforms are slowly getting back to where they should be. NO COLORED PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVER!!!!!!!!! The elf is my choice for the logo. That's what they were using when I started following them. But they are one team that doesn't need a helmet logo. Those Orange helmets and their total classic look says, "The Browns are here!"

And I know that when the new Browns expansion club came back, the NFL pleaded with the owner to change the name to something like Rhinos or Cobras...which was the name they tried to convince all the new franchises to adopt so they must have some great rhino or cobra logos in NFL HQ...

I don't suppose you could support either of these assertions, could you?

As a Browns' fan, here's my take:

Love the Brownie Elf. I would keep the helmet the same, but if there was ever a logo that was put on the helmet, it would be the Brownie. I do think that Lerner is trying to incorporate the Brownie more into marketing.

Love the new darker brown for the home uniforms. I would probably go brown-orange-brown thin stripes on the pants for the sake of uniformity, but the orange-brown-orange is correct historically and it's OK with me.

I grew up during the Dawg Pound years as well, but the Dawg Pound marketing theme is getting old. It's OK to refer to the bleacher fans as the Dawg Pound, but I just don't like the scheme being marketed further. I don't like the bulldog, and wish they would drop it altogether.

The "B" in the football logo is being phased out, and should be. Just boring to me.

Like the overall traditional look of the unies this year, and the traditional stripes work in Cleveland, but not other places except possibly Green Bay. I think if you try to modernize the Cleveland uniform, it would be detrimental given that Cleveland is a blue-collar, traditional type town.

I love the elf logo, just not on the uniforms.  Keep them as they have been, and if possible remove the AL on the sleeves.  The <B> logo annoys me as I feel if a team uses a singular letter it should be for the city initial not the name, as I similalry dislike the Indians' scirpt I logo/hat.  Hmmm maybe if someone came up with a <C> concept that would be cool.  Paul Brown used to have a block C hat.

Problem solved.

NFLlogoCB.png

I'm not suggesting they put this on the uniform, just use it as their primary mark (website, letterhead, mid-field, something for television stations to use other then an orange rectangle).

As a life time Browns fan I will add my two cents worth:

CURRENT UNIFORM: Almost perfect...love the traditional classic look now that they finally fixed the pants striping to the classic one (orange brown orange instead of the other way around). Would love some stiping on the socks though.

NO logo ever on the helmet! Please remove the AL on the stripes, you made your point now get rid of it.

I did like the Orange pants back when...never liked the Orange alternate jersey though. Maybe wear the orange pants once a year as an alternate uniform.

Really like the elf but not on the uniform...maybe in flags or pennants around the stadium and on merchendising items etc. Kind of keeps the Browns days of glory alive in these lean years.

Something about the combination of the three colors orange helmet, brown jersey and white pants...no better uniform in all of football!

Thought I'd add this it's from the latest UNIWATCH

And finally, a source who prefers to remain anonymous checks in with this news regarding the Browns' brown pants (which are included in the team's official specs but have never been worn): "In 2003-04, Browns petitioned league for permission to wear brown pants as an alternate. The design was going to be brown pants with the 'elf' logo on each hip. Despite the fact that the league approved the pants, Browns owner Randy Lerner didn't like the design and nixed the idea."

Also they did add a solid brown pant this year but there is no indication if or when they might wear it. Maybe it will be like the Jags teal pants and never be worn. I think it's been two years now since the Jags came out with those but they have never seen the light of day. I would'nt mind seeing the brown pants for the Browns at least once.

Archived