Mistakes in Logo Facts

goforbroke

I think the new feature where we can add our own facts about the logos is cool... but idk who has been checking up on the facts because a lot of them that i've noticed are either guesses, assumptions, or simply incorrect.

i'm sure i'm not the only one to have seen these mistakes.

here's some quick examples:

Islanders:

----- The Isles' logo features a map of Long Island and its five counties, which include Brooklyn and Queens--both part of New York City. The colors are the traditional New York colors of blue and orange, representing the English (blue) and the Dutch (orange.) The name narrowly beat out "Log Island Ducks."

Posted by NyghtOwl on October 17, 2006 -----

First of all.. there are only FOUR counties IF you include kings (not brooklyn) and queens - and that map does not include either.. it is only nassau and suffolk.

Nuggets:

------ After drafting Melo in 2003, the Denver Nuggets wanted a change in thier team, so they changed the colors of the team to define to the league that it was a start of a new season.

Posted by Joshua on October 7, 2006 -------

not true, the logo was introduced at the draft. before they picked carmello.

Mets (idk where he pulled this one out of):

-------The interlocking N & Y forms an M for Mets.

Posted by Andrew on October 18, 2006 -------

M?? not even close to true.. even if there were a subliminal M somewhere in that logo.. there is no way it could stand for Mets because the logo is taken from the Giants.

theres a bunch of them. post your findings here

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Islanders:

----- The Isles' logo features a map of Long Island and its five counties, which include Brooklyn and Queens--both part of New York City. The colors are the traditional New York colors of blue and orange, representing the English (blue) and the Dutch (orange.) The name narrowly beat out "Log Island Ducks."

Posted by NyghtOwl on October 17, 2006 -----

First of all.. there are only FOUR counties IF you include kings (not brooklyn) and queens - and that map does not include either.. it is only nassau and suffolk.

In addition to getting the logo fact wrong, he needs to sharpen his vexillology skills. The blue, orange and white colours of New York City contain no element representing the English. The colours are 100% Dutch, as the Dutch flag at the time was blue, white, and orange.

[q]Mets (idk where he pulled this one out of):

-------The interlocking N & Y forms an M for Mets.

Posted by Andrew on October 18, 2006 -------

M?? not even close to true.. even if there were a subliminal M somewhere in that logo.. there is no way it could stand for Mets because the logo is taken from the Giants.[/q]

There is an M. Probably not intentional, but it's there.

Here's one from our pld pal, JJWAY. It's not incorrect, I just think we should have some kind of spelling/grammar filter.

Anaheim Angels

"this logo is a modernized of the giant A that sitis in the parking lot... it used to sit in the stadium"

Serbia and Montenegro should be move to inactive members of UEFA. The World Cup shirts are described as 2006-08 even though Serbia national team uses completely different kit.

P. S. I know it's not exactly about logo facrs but I didn't want to start a new theread just for it.

I submitted a correction to a fact about the Boston Bruins logo and they ended up just posted my correction above it.

Here is the incorrect fact:

The spoked wheel behind the B in this logo (and older versions) represents the nickname of the city of Boston as the "Hub City."

Posted by Mike D on September 7, 2006

here is my correction:

I would like to make a correction to the logo fact submitted by Mike D. Boston has never had the nickname of "Hub City." Boston is known as "The Hub" or "The Hub of the Universe." The following is an excerpt from an article in the Boston Globe, 20 Aug 2006: "Boston's 'Hub of the Universe' moniker dates to the mid-19th century, when the city was still considered to be a bustling, up-and-coming commercial center, says Will Holton, a sociology professor at Northeastern University. The nickname started with an essay written by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1858, in which he made reference to the Massachusetts State House as ``the Hub of the Solar System." Bostonians apparently took a liking to his phrase, and broadened the definition to apply to the whole city."

Posted by Hat Boy on September 17, 2006

Even after all of that, I really don't know if the spokes on the Bruins logo has anything to do with the city being known as "The Hub."

I submitted a correction to a fact about the Boston Bruins logo and they ended up just posted my correction above it.

The spoked wheel behind the B in this logo (and older versions) represents the nickname of the city of Boston as the "Hub City."

here is my correction:

I would like to make a correction to the logo fact submitted by Mike D. Boston has never had the nickname of "Hub City." Boston is known as "The Hub" or "The Hub of the Universe." The following is an excerpt from an article in the Boston Globe, 20 Aug 2006: "Boston's 'Hub of the Universe' moniker dates to the mid-19th century, when the city was still considered to be a bustling, up-and-coming commercial center, says Will Holton, a sociology professor at Northeastern University. The nickname started with an essay written by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1858, in which he made reference to the Massachusetts State House as ``the Hub of the Solar System." Bostonians apparently took a liking to his phrase, and broadened the definition to apply to the whole city."

Even after all of that, I really don't know if the spokes on the Bruins logo has anything to do with the city being known as "The Hub."

I was always under the impression that the spoked "B" logo was just ment as a temporary logo for the team's 25th anniversary in 1949, and the fans loved it so much the team decided to keep it as their primary mark.

here is my correction:

Thank you for noticing that as well. It's bothered me since the day it was put on there as "Hub City" and unfortunately there's no way for us to edit them.

Saw today a claim that the Scranton Red Barons are not named after the Red Baron, but are a combination of older team nicknames or nicknames of prior local franchises; the Barons and the Red Sox.

That's well and good that the former names are the reason they decided to go with Red Barons, but it's silly to stress that the team is not named after the Red Baron. It's more like the team is named after the Red Baron because of the old names of the team, the Red Sox and the Barons. That's an interesting logo fact without sounding absurd.

The existence of the Red Baron is why they are called the Red Barons and not the Sox Barons or the Bare Sox or some other combination that makes as little sense as Red Barons would had Baron von Richtoven never existed.

How about mentioning not just mistakes in logo facts - how about the logos themselves?

I've e-mailed Chris several times about the UConn logo displayed being the one they stopped using in 2003 with the updated Husky being used afterward, but no dice. Will someone finally correct this?

sublimem.png

That's unintentional. They got that logo from the NY Giants. Why would the NY Giants have an "M" in their logo?

Well, once the 19th century NY Giants used the old nick of Metropolitans. But I'm not sure if they are the NL Giants or the AA Giants or the PL Giants... This too late and I'm watching the World Series so I'll check my books tomorrow.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

sublimem.png

That's unintentional. They got that logo from the NY Giants. Why would the NY Giants have an "M" in their logo?

Well, once the 19th century NY Giants used the old nick of Metropolitans. But I'm not sure if they are the NL Giants or the AA Giants or the PL Giants... This too late and I'm watching the World Series so I'll check my books tomorrow.

That logo only dates from the early 1950s. You can't pull any meaning from the 19th century out of it.

Archived