Spengler Cup Team Canada Logo

steve61

Anyone gonna post that Team Canada Spengler Cup logo?? just wondering... ^_^

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Ug. Will Canada ever go back to a decent hockey uniform? These are almost as bad as the swifts.

What is that thing? It looks like some crazy European Club team jersey with a bazillion ads on it. From the looks of the player behind the Canadian, once more the jerseys look like a template recolored for each team. They don't look like a Swift fit jersey though. They seem pretty baggy in the arms and the neck/collar area is something I'm not familiar with either.

And to go with a logo that dates back to the early 90's? Do they use that every year for this tournament, and if so, why?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Ug. Will Canada ever go back to a decent hockey uniform? These are almost as bad as the swifts.

What is that thing? It looks like some crazy European Club team jersey with a bazillion ads on it. From the looks of the player behind the Canadian, once more the jerseys look like a template recolored for each team. They don't look like a Swift fit jersey though. They seem pretty baggy in the arms and the neck/collar area is something I'm not familiar with either.

You've hit it pretty much right on the nose. For as long as I can remember, Canada has been wearing something like this at the Spengler Cup. Considering that the rest of the teams in the tournament are European club teams, it's understandable. But just about all the teams have the same ads, typefaces, design, etc. More on the tournament here: http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/silver...spenglercup.htm

As for the logo, I don't know why they stick with this late ?90s one, but perhaps it is to differentiate the Olympic/World Championship teams from this "club" team. Most of this team is made of guys playing in Europe or in the AHL (roster here).

But trust me, these are once-a-year jerseys that are only used for this tourney, and maybe the Deutschland Cup. We needn't worry about them wearing something like this in Vancouver in 2010.

But trust me, these are once-a-year jerseys that are only used for this tourney, and maybe the Deutschland Cup. We needn't worry about them wearing something like this in Vancouver in 2010.

and let's thank our lucky stars for that!

untitled-6.jpg

It does look like every team is wearing the same template. Interesting where the number on the front of jersey is located.

Here's what they wore today:

r3662575400.jpg

...against Davos

capt.dav11712272043.switzerland_ice_hockey_spengler_cup_dav117.jpg

Mora IK vs Khimik

r3846174267.jpg

Berlin vs Davos

r3586971293.jpg

That Canada logo goes back to the '88 olmypics from my recollection....

I saw, I came, I left.

It does look like every team is wearing the same template. Interesting where the number on the front of jersey is located.

Here's what they wore today:

r3662575400.jpg

...against Davos

capt.dav11712272043.switzerland_ice_hockey_spengler_cup_dav117.jpg

Mora IK vs Khimik

r3846174267.jpg

Berlin vs Davos

r3586971293.jpg

man i can't stand the look of these uniforms they look like the players look like skating billboards!

untitled-6.jpg

I love the faux hi-tech look of that logo. I'm a big fan of late 80s/early 90s design, and that logo is no exception.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

IMO it's better then what they use now.

I have to agree with you there. Unis aside, this is my favourite Team Canada logo to date. A much simpler design and no BLACK. I wish they simply used an updated version of this one instead of the current sillouette logo (which in my opinion looks more like a league logo than that of a team)

BTW, thanks to those who posted pics of this jersey.

zzPEfBm.png

I hav to admit the jerseys at the Spengler Cup are always interesting per year since I started watching that back in 2002 I think... boy these jerseys are wild enough..let's hope the NHL does not copy that method and drive us crazy enough.... Team Canada's logo, I really love it and it is simple enough... I have seen Khimik's logo somewhere before but would love to see Khimik's other logo the wordmark across the gold (was it dirty mustard?) jersey from the early 1990s when Khimik was playing vs some NHL teams on tv if I remmy right....one of the NHL team was teh 1988-89 Stanley Cup Champions Calgary Flames back in Sept 1989 when I did see 4 games of Calgary vs the Russian teams on tv... ohh what a good one..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Sorry for not posting this sooner, but I was out of town for a few days.

According to Scott Farley, Hockey Canada's Director of Marketing Services & Events:

"On the jerseys worn by the team at the Spengler Cup, there are 2 reasons why they are different ? first, the jerseys are supplied by the Spengler Cup as part of their obligation to us at the tournament and second, there are a number of sponsors that you see on the jersey that would compete with long standing Hockey Canada partners."

Simply put - Hockey Canada's corporate partners pay good money to be associated with Team Canada's current identity, so Hockey Canada protects those relationships by using a different logo.

The logo is the old national team logo. I'm not sure when they started using it, but it was worn in '84 at Sarajevo, I think, and they stopped using it in the mid-90s when Hockey Canada merged with the CAHA and the current logo was introduced. Some other quirky things about those sweaters:

- the collar is really wide, probably to accommodate the advertising on them

- small number below the collar, but no sleeve numbers

- name below number on back, which isn't uncommon in Europe, though it might look weird to us

- small team logo on left forearm

These are for the Spengler Cup only. They aren't new uniforms. They'll continue to wear the swifts in international competition. This is a club tournament that a makeshift Team Canada regularly participates in. The Spengler Cup provides the uniforms and that's why they all look like they have the same template.

Archived