The Official National Championship game Thread

Dilbert

As a fan of rival schools (USF, Michigan, and FSU) of the two teams in the title game, I really had no emotional ties to either school, but I am glad that UF won, just to show more flaws in the BCS system.

I give credit to both schools for making it to the game and I give respect to the Gators for proving the system wrong.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another year, another BCS controversy.

Undefeated Broncos get my vote.

I totally agree. If the Broncos get zero votes, it sends the message that wins don't matter. Only polls.

How incredibly lame.

Boise State beat one team that couldn't be beaten by a great high school team. Great season for the Broncos, but schedule at least one Top 20 team during the season and more people might notice.

Again how many top 20 teams would accept a game with Boise State? I'm sure they tried but couldn't get a game. Personally I think if you are going to decide an unofficial championship by a power ranking where strength of schedule is used as more than just a tie-breaker for teams with the same record then scheduling should be taken out of the school's hand. The NCAA should come up with the out of conference schedules with an eye toward out of conference schedules. It ensures each school gets a fair schedule.

As for Boise not being able to beat a great high school team that's like saying a great college team could beat an NFL team. While that high school team has some future D-1 players the entire Boise team is current D-1 players.

man what a craptacular game for us Buckeyes fans.

i think Tressel finally got out coached. never once did he try to take a shot down field or even try to do something different on Defense. didnt he try to run the ball more when he saw his D was lacking against the Offense of UF?

You cannot throw the ball down the field if your QB has no time to throw. In the 2nd Quarter, there was a 2nd down and 8 and they had Gonzales in the slot, It looked like they were going to be able to have a quick slant, but the Gator LB moved over into the slot at the snap. Troy was looking for him, and could not pull the trigger. It was like that all night; no pass protection.

Is it just me or does teh Gator offense still look like a fraternity, intramural team? All the motion and gimmicky plays?

You want a playoff?

Boise State, meet Florida...

steamroller.jpg

That would probably happen but at least that championship would be decided the right way on the field and not by speculation. After all this current system hasn't produced many great "championship" games. In fact the Bowl system leaves each college football season as very forgettable in general. How many classic moments has the bowl system produced in the casual sports fans mind as the NFL playoffs and March Madness has created. I can think of Nebraska going for 2 and that's about it.

Is it just me or does teh Gator offense still look like a fraternity, intramural team? All the motion and gimmicky plays?

Florida doesn't run that many gadget plays. Sure, they have all sorts of players running around, but that's just to get people out of the box.

And, it works.

A few observations:

-The final score should've been 41-7, the refs missed a clear holding call on the Ginn TD return.

-The Gators came out and straight up demolished Ohio State, much respect to the Gators for holding the basketball and the football titles at the same time.

-Southern Strength beat OSU moreso than Southern Speed. Florida domination of the trenches is what led to the victory tonight.

-In the last 3 years Urban Meyer has a national title and undefeated season and no losses at home and all of that considering he's basically used a majority of his predecessors players in each of those years, it kinda makes you wonder how much better they can get when the Gators are strictly Meyer recruits.

-As for the Boise/Florida controversy, I'll take the cop out and say they both have earned their share of the title. Florida is more than likely the better team but on the other hand its hard to tell a team that's successfully beaten every opponent that they don't somehow deserve at least a share of the title.

-Is it just me or does it seem like every championship matchup the last few years where one team is heavily favored the underdog always wins? Between the Cardinals in the World Series, Texas last year, the Buckeyes in '02, and the Patriots in '01 its becoming obvious (at least to me) that the team with the chip on their shoulder is the team with the advantage. Not that I'm saying the Ohio State's loss is the media's fault by any means, but with teams relying so much more on winning psychologically as much as they do physically or mentally, playing the disrespect card certainly gives the underdog something fight for beyond just a title.

-Finally Chris Leak gets some respect. I never understood why he got the hate he did but he quite effectively put an end to it tonight.

-Speaking of haters the avatar is for the Colts haters out there, not a dig on the Gators. If I was going for that I would've made it scarlet and gray.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

After all this current system hasn't produced many great "championship" games.

I thought that last years Texas vs. USC was just fine.. or was there a third undefeated team last year?

Sure there is a few exceptions but outside of last year and 2002 there hasn't been that great of games. While a tournament isn't guaranteed to produce great championships games every year it is likely to produce a great game earlier in the tournament that propels a team into the championship game. That also would probably be more memorable than your run of the mill BCS bowl that has no bearing on the "championship".

After all this current system hasn't produced many great "championship" games.

I thought that last years Texas vs. USC was just fine.. or was there a third undefeated team last year?

Sure there is a few exceptions but outside of last year and 2002 there hasn't been that great of games.

Yeah.. that is true..

Yeah Im bummed about my Bucks but Florida proved that they deserved to play in the Championship game, they played a good game

The officials well lets let my sig say it.

The Gators got a free touchdown when the one TD was reviewed, his knee was down before the ball crossed the line, the ball should have been placed on the 1.

They also spotted the ball poorly, and they didnt even bother to measure, some officiating crew.

Congrats to the Gators, they played hard and deserved it

Signature intentionally left blank

Yeah Im bummed about my Bucks but Florida proved that they deserved to play in the Championship game, they played a good game

The officials well lets let my sig say it.

The Gators got a free touchdown when the one TD was reviewed, his knee was down before the ball crossed the line, the ball should have been placed on the 1.

They also spotted the ball poorly, and they didnt even bother to measure, some officiating crew.

Congrats to the Gators, they played hard and deserved it

I agree that one wasn't a touchdown, but I don't think that made a 27 point difference. It didn't effect the outcome, besides the score. Either way, Florida would have won

MegatronSig2.jpg

No excuses. They beat our asses in every aspect of the game. The better team won. I am wondering if anyone still thinks the Gators didn't belong in the game in the first place.

Congrats to The Gators. Nice ass-kicking.

Further proof that there is no need for a playoff.

BB52Big.jpg

No need for a playoff? There is a team out there with a better record than the "National Champion". To me that's proof of a need for a playoff. Boise sure as well can't do worse than how Ohio State played tonight.

Why I love Sports Illustrated: https://subs.timeinc.net/SI/si_ncaafb07subf...equestid=512038

How many of you actually own those championship books? Did you subscribe in order to get them?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No need for a playoff? There is a team out there with a better record than the "National Champion". To me that's proof of a need for a playoff. Boise sure as well can't do worse than how Ohio State played tonight.

I was actually referring to all the whining from Michigan fans for a playoff because "Florida didn't deserve to be there." Still, a playoff wouldn't solve anything. What difference would it make? And better yet...why is it so important to people that we have a clear winner every year? The world won't end if we have a split championship once in a while.

What benefit, outside of placating playoff advocates and ESPN :censored:s, is there in a playoff? As fans we aren't owed some sort of clear winner. If we don't like it we can just choose not to follow it. Outside of shutting people up I can't think of a truly compelling reason for a playoff. Every argument for one has flaws. Why should we render OSU-Michigan meaningless? Why should this season's Louisville-Rutgers game have been just another game? Or Michigan-Notre Dame?

My opinion is that a playoff will hurt the game overall more than it would ever help it. As it stands now, in order to even be in the discussion you have to win at least 11 games. Add a playoff and undefeated OSU knows that even with a loss to Michigan they're still going to the playoffs. Sorry but as an OSU fan I can't advocate making that game less meanigful.

Week 5 in College football matters right now. In a playoff system it won't matter as much. USC-UCLA doesn't mean a thing this year if an 8 team playoff is in place. USC would get in as Pac-10 champs so who cares if they lose? Without the playoff UCLA's win cost the Trojans a chance to kick the :censored: out of Ohio State. That's why I think there is no need for a playoff.

Just my 2 cents.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived